Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,141 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill View Post
Does a hetero male have a lifestyle?
if yes, does this lifestyle define all hetero males?
if no, "lifestyle" is a meaningless concept to apply to large groups of different people.

"lifestyle" is not being used properly in this thread and is being insisted on by some with a weird fixation...

all hetero means is sex with another gender
all trans means is transitioning to another gender
all gay means is having sex with the same gender
none of this is a lifestyle... it's sexual and gender specific...

a swinger might live the "swinger lifestyle" and be hetero, gay, or trans...
it seems to me that lifestyle is more specific than a general grouping of people...more commonality within the group approaches that group having a "lifestyle"
Again, not according to the author here:

https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/

Quote:
Among the fundamental premises of gay liberation was that being gay meant being a sexual person. Chris Lea remembers that for the founders of The Body Politic—Canada’s first magazine devoted to gay liberation (founded in 1971)—sexual liberation was an obsession: “The Body Politic was very sexual. There was a kind of fundamental idea that sort of permeated. It was that promiscuity was the glue that kept the gay community together. They used to say that. It’s hard to believe, but they used to say that. So it made me into a kind of more sexual being for sure.”
Quote:
Indeed, gays and lesbians are, if anything, now arguably more hypocritical than straights—since many try extra-hard to appear more conjugally blissful, more church-going, more purse-lipped about what goes on in their bedrooms and brains. It has become politically correct to present modern gay men and lesbians as well-adjusted, loving, kind, asexual clean cut, family-oriented individuals (an archetype being Cameron and Mitchell on Modern Family). Supposedly, all gay men and lesbians are either happily married or aspire to be. Their sexuality is invisible and irrelevant.
You can agree or disagree with the author, and article. But he is clearly defining a lifestyle which is (or maybe was) different than a straight one (in his words).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,185 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
It's funny you say this. I read this article today before even seeing this thread.

https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/
That article actually brings up a good point of how "lifestyle" is a throwaway word. The guy who wrote that is an East Coast/Urban guy. I'm a Midwest/rural guy. Even if we were both straight white married guys, we would have very little in common.

There are studies that show that urban people who live across the country from each other have more in common with each other than those urban people have with people who physically live 100 miles from them in a rural environment. The culture of urban and rural life is very different. If you are gay but live in a rural environment, the "gay culture" that guy was writing about would be as foreign to you as it is to me.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 129
Niced 608 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Regarding the phrase... "lifestyles"...

a) Straight person.
b) Straight person who comes out as gay late in their adult life.
c) A person living their life as a man, makes the transition to a woman.

Wouldn't those reflect different lifestyles?
If you're trying to make a point you're not sticking the landing.

a) Straight person who plays disc golf
b) Straight person who loves to draw/paint
c) Straight person who enjoys video games

Old 08-15-2019, 11:16 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,185 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
You can agree or disagree with the author, and article. But he is clearly defining a lifestyle which is (or maybe was) different than a straight one (in his words).
Lol. He also was talking about the 70's. The Moral Majority and the conservative Christian movement developed as the backlash of the 70's. I lived in a small rural town, and Behind the Green Door played in the theater downtown (the same one I watched a matinee showing of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken in. ) Our neighbors were for-realz swingers; my mom used to try to recognize the cars parked by their house so she could gossip about them. A LOT of crazy stuff went on in the 70's, and it wasn't limited to the gay community. Writing about it like the hyper-sexulaization and promiscuity of that era was a "gay culture" thing that didn't happen to anyone who wasn't gay is totally misleading. I mean, I hate every day that I was only 13 by the end of the 70's...I missed out on all the damn fun.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 6
Niced 51 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
45 pages later and here's the fact:

Laura is still the Fa40 world champ.
Laura and other transgenders who meet the minimum requirements to play Female still can if approved by the PDGA Medical Committee.

You know, right where we all started.
Did you notice how the thread in which you were calling people with different beliefs "disgusting humans" was locked, and in this one, without you, there's been a civil, in-depth discussion?
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 928 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDickHyzer View Post
Did you notice how the thread in which you were calling people with different beliefs "disgusting humans" was locked, and in this one, without you, there's been a civil, in-depth discussion?
I did. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 130 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Is it an ongoing process, like testing every year? I forget if it was mentioned or not, but does a trans woman need to have transitioned to play?
Technically speaking, testing should be ongoing and continuous.
Transgender people typically get 3 or 6 monthly blood testing.
If and when transgender women interrupt (IE. not just miss a day, but actually actively interrupt) or de-transition, they immediately need to notify the PDGA, and lose their eligibility.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 130 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Fact 1: It's 12 pages if you reset your posts per page.

Fact 2: This has been for the most part an open, civilized conversation. I would wager there have been a number of people who have read or posted in this thread whose opinions may have changed on the matter or who are at least appreciative of the information. As Laura has said numerous times this is the most civil discourse on the matter which has occurred.

Fact 3: No approval by the Medical Committee required unless the women in question have transitioned after joining the PDGA.

Fact 4: Wombat poop is square (well, cubic actually).
Fact 3,not quite.
Transgender women who have signed up after transitioning, have, so far, flown under the radar.
To avoid any "drop your trousers" interrogation style events, they had better - and some of the women this applies to have in fact reached out to me - get themselves officially approved.
Mind you, as their reclassification would go unnoticed to you, and their medical details are only shared with medical committee, so they're not being "outed". They simply have the guarantee they're eligible.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 790 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
If you're trying to make a point you're not sticking the landing.

a) Straight person who plays disc golf
b) Straight person who loves to draw/paint
c) Straight person who enjoys video games

My point (which I clearly didn't make) was the "before" and "after" surely has to be 2 different lifestyles? examples being, straight guy comes out as gay or man transgenders to woman. ?

Old 08-15-2019, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
My point (which I clearly didn't make) was the "before" and "after" surely has to be 2 different lifestyles? examples being, straight guy comes out as gay or man transgenders to woman. ?
Define lifestyle then, because I'm failing to see how publicly declaring a sexual preference or changing gender automatically means your lifestyle is now changed.