Old 02-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Field practice idiocy

I know this is stupid, but has anyone else had issues throwing in a field? I've been making minor adjustments on the course that have really improved my drives (mostly nose angle and ability to hit lines more consistently, still maxed at 300'). Was re-reading slowplastic's excellent plateu post, and thought it was a good time to squeeze in some field time and work on power/distance. But the same thing happens almost every time I hit the field. I spend the whole damn time trying to figure out why I'm suddenly throwing everything nose up. And the more I try to fix it, the worse it seems to get. I try grip, weight forward, etc, and usually when I finally do get the nose down it's a shanked cut roller. It's ridiculous.

Then later I go back to the course and am fine.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,096 Times in 737 Posts

Imagine a hole/line like you're on the course and try to get all your discs to fly on that line.

More power/distance will come from additional control and smoothness. Sounds like you are going out trying to mash the discs and not work on the mechanics of the throw.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Give your self a target. Either your bag, some cones (the soccer cones from Wal Mart work great), a soccer goal or field goal, tree, whatever. If I go out to an empty field without a basket or cones/stakes I do the same, just kind of feel like I'm throwing for nothing. Luckily we have a field nearby that has trees scattered throughout with a large open area as well, so it's really easy to shape shots there.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never tried it. Living in southern California there really are not many random empty fields. Better off just going to the park with a disc golf course. My local course is certainly closer than any empty field I could find.

And even if there was one, what's the fun in throwing in an empty field anyway?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

Soccer goals and baseball backstops work great for field throwing targets, and the fields are usually a known size (less so with baseball fields) so getting ball park distance numbers is built in.

Maybe it's time to invest in a portable practice basket? Set up in any old field for practice throws or safari holes with pals, and get your putting practice in.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid70 View Post
Never tried it. Living in southern California there really are not many random empty fields. Better off just going to the park with a disc golf course. My local course is certainly closer than any empty field I could find.

It's not necessarily fun, but for one that's trying to learn their bag and develop their game it's paramount. Around here on the local courses, you can be the guy who empties his bag on each hole trying to learn a disc, but it's usually frowned upon since there's always someone playing.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,402 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:

Throwing in a field = hitting at the driving range

It's practice. Doesn't have to be "fun" necessarily, but it is an efficient way to work on and improve a specific part of your game. If that is of no interest to you, then there's no reason to do it.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Well, throwing discs is fun, and I get more discs thrown in a field than on a course. Also, I can make adjustments to my previous throw; I'm not going to have a completely different throw every time, unless that's what I choose to do.

There's also the lack of pain, since I can find a field that doesn't have thorn bushes my discs would invariably find.

Consistently throwing nose up might just be trying to throw too far. Another advantage to the field is the ease of taking video, so you can post it and get better advice

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 02-07-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,137 Times in 583 Posts

^What the previous three guys just said. Plus, depending on where you live, a field can be a lot closer than a course. Gotta get those throws in somehow.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Feldberg said he never plays casual rounds. He just goes into an open field & throws. According to him casual rounds don't benefit your game as much as doing field work. I agree with him. I find field work & putting practice helps my game out a lot more than just playing a casual round.

Link to interview
http://www.omagdigital.com/publicati...eBrowser%22%7D