Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 405 Times in 298 Posts
Default Defender vs. Gladiator vs. Cutlass vs. Trespass vs. Giant

I've heard all of these compared to Innova's Destroyer but haven't really seen a true comparison between them all. I'm looking for a numbers flying (-1,3) Destroyer replacement should I ever run out or get a Trilogy sponsorship. I know that Discraft's Punisher is the closest thing that I've thrown to saod Destroyer but I was wondering which one of Trilogy's plethora of OS drivers was the closest to what I'm looking for. I prefer GL/Fuzion/TP but Recycled/Bio are ok as well. I don't really need a meathook as an Enforcer would cover that nicely. I can throw my 175 GStar Destroyer 375' on a hyzer line and about 400' flat. It will turn about 20' to the right and then fade back about 50' of thrown flat. So how do they stack up?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

I only know the trespass, but I love it. It's pretty similar to a destroyer, maybe a bit slower.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,558 Times in 1,629 Posts

If you like the GStar Destroyer, then the Trespass is very similar in stability. There are variations within them, as can be seen by PLH/wing height, but in general it's a turn/fade -1/2.5ish disc for someone with your power. They are not a wind disc at that distance though, in that case I would look at bio Defender, but Defenders are closer to the Enforcer than Trespass side of things. A bio Enforcer with some wear can also be a step up from the Trespass, but I have not thrown one enough to know how much shorter it would be than the Trespass in that range. I'm sure for massive armed players, they could trust a bio Enforcer or bio Defender at a further range than Trespasses, but at 375-400' the Trespass is awesome.

Giants are also much more OS. I have not thrown the Gladiator.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 803 Times in 382 Posts

I think a new Fuzion Trespass might be most similar to a Gstar Destroyer, but perhaps a hair less stable.

The Defender, Gladiator, Cutlass and Giant in Gold Line/Tournament plastic are all somewhere in the vicinity of a Star Destroyer, but a little bit more overstable than a Gstar Destroyer in my experience. At your power, you might not get the flights from these that you want until you beat them in some. I would suggest that you fuse lighter weight for these; maybe around 168g.

At the moment, when I throw max distance drivers, I choose either Star Destroyers or Biofuzion Defenders. I throw them the same, and get about the same results.

You have probably seen others state that Biofuzion is normally a little bit easier to beat in than normal Fuzion. In my experience, they are about the same. Biofuzion is cheaper, so I choose that. I feel that both Biofuzion and Fuzion beat in faster than Star plastic.

Just to complicate things more, a Sheriff is also a good option that you might find resembles a Gstar Destroyer.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

Another vote for the Sheriff as a replacement for Gstar Destroyer at 350-400 feet. Bios and Fuzions will have a bit more turn than the Lucids at that power so you can cover a nice range of shots.

But if you want to look outside Trilogy, the Legacy Outlaw in Icon plastic in the high 160s is your real Destroyer replacement.