Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoholic View Post
Does anybody know if advertising on tee signs brings in money? Our club has a lot going on now (3 new courses, not including this one). We are going to need money for pads soon, after the city lets us off probation.
I have seen "this hole spnsored by so and so." I know on that course the company that was sponsoring the hole gave money to the people building the course. I dont know how much though. So it did bring money in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Pix of trees on the fairway are useless. My first time on any course, if I can't see the pin from the tee, I'm walking the fairway untill I spot it, regardless of what the tee sign shows - signs can't show you the window you need to hit.
A good sign will give you a really good idea though. In phoenix we dont have many shots with ceilings, so it can be easier here compared to other places. We also dont have too many blind shots. Marana rock had a few blind holes, luckily they had good tee signs that I could base my throws on. I had several good shots on blind holes there just by following the tee sign. Im kinda lazy though. If i know the tee signs are good, ill just follow them. It works well until I throw a bad shot.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTyburski View Post
These are like, 12 x 18 metal signs. Hard to miss, lots of information. Dave has done a lot of great work on the course. Of course, my brother is a graphic designer, so he rolls with stuff like this. I'll tell him you appreciate his work. I am sure he would make his skills available for a small fee.
A few new courses just popped up, i will let the designer know.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Throws only Pink Discs

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

My home course, shady oaks in sac, uses a lag bolt screwed into the post with a metal washer on it that has A B C and D etched into it and the pin positions on the map are each designated with one of the letters. When they change pin positions they use a crescent wrench to loosen the bolt and put which ever letter represents the current position, up. Its the easiest method ive seen. Very helpful on blind holes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

I can't believe no one has said the #1 most important aspect of a tee sign yet.

DO NOT put the tee sign within twice arm's reach of the tee box.

Other than people talking or standing beside the teebox, nothing will mess up my drive more than the fear of smacking my backhand on the tee sign. This happens more often than you would believe.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 50
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Clearly the ads are my favorite part, I love it when an ad takes up 1/2 of the teesign...

Not really, Just give me a direction to throw and the distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
I can't believe no one has said the #1 most important aspect of a tee sign yet.

DO NOT put the tee sign within twice arm's reach of the tee box.

Other than people talking or standing beside the teebox, nothing will mess up my drive more than the fear of smacking my backhand on the tee sign. This happens more often than you would believe.
Or at the front of the tee pad.... I dislike when it is at the front of the teepad, other players looking at it when it's my box is annnoooyyying.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The single most important thing in my opinion is distance. If I haven't played a course before it can be very hard to judge distance and having that number accurately there makes a big difference. Maybe I just need to get better but that is my opinion. I also liked the tee sign someone posted that had vertical change as well. That is helpful in knowing a real distance, as in 320 up a big hill is really like throwing 400. Note, I said a big hill.

Second most important thing is a good drawing of the hole that allows one to figure out exactly where the baskets are. If I just have the distances I can go searching for the basket, but if I have a picture I shouldn't have to leave the tee and know what I am going to do.

You probably also want a hole number, just saying. Course name, hole name and other goodies are always fun. Maybe a good movie quote that defines the hole.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 292
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Next tee arrows are clutch for me, as are understandable representations of the hole. It doesn't have to be fancy, just clearly stated. Pin placement and distance as well. And for the record, I like your idea for larger red signs so they can be easily spotted. I like to travel and play new courses as much as I am.able, so navigation factors highly for me.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

And yes placement of the sign back and away from the pad.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

And yes, tee signs placed back and well away from the pad. Very important.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtheviking5 View Post
My home course, shady oaks in sac, uses a lag bolt screwed into the post with a metal washer on it that has A B C and D etched into it and the pin positions on the map are each designated with one of the letters. When they change pin positions they use a crescent wrench to loosen the bolt and put which ever letter represents the current position, up. Its the easiest method ive seen. Very helpful on blind holes
The course at Taylor Park in Tampa, FL, does something similar. I was so impressed with their signs, I took a photo when I was there, which I attached for illustration. As you see, instead of using a washer, they drilled four holes into the post, and move the bolt when they move the basket. Doing it like this means they didn't have to drill into the pretty maps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (163.1 KB, 109 views)