Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

The best pin position marker (and the easiest to implement) that I've seen is at Morley Field in San Diego. The map has all the pin positions by letter, then in the bottom corner is each pin position listed with the distance. A grease pen x is put by the current pin position. It doesn't seem to get weathered off easily, and it's easy to change as you're changing the pin positions. It does only work with the plastic or plexiglass covered signs though, and Morley changes their pin positions every week so I'm not sure how it would last if you were leaving the pins in one setup for months at a time.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 913
Niced 85 Times in 46 Posts

Good input mashnut....I don't think the signs are going to be plexiglass. The traditional signs here; and I am assuming the new ones will be the same; are router cut plastic. They are a nice style and relatively vandal proof; but it is hard to have tons of good information on them; or, at least that has been the case in the past. I will encourage a more detailed orientated sign this time around; and while the style has remained the same; there have been improvements in detail as the years have gone by. It is difficult to list all footages from tees to pins (with three pins and two or three tees); on this type of signage. However, most other styles are easy to vandalize; while these are fairly resistant. Tough to have a win/win situation when the vandals are so prevalent. Another issue is that these signs are fairly expensive; which usually results in only having one per hole. Again, tough to have a win/win situation....
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

With Ohauser going to pay for play is vandalism still going to be as prevelant?
If its pay to play informative signs would be great.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to NothinButChing

directions to next pad is always a good idea for new comers to the course I hate getting lost at thick courses my first time out
Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to tstack10 Send a message via Yahoo to tstack10

Enjoy decked trails, map or arrows for first time playing courses. I could imagine playing a course like circle c without a guide.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 913
Niced 85 Times in 46 Posts

I talked with the designer after posting last and he is thinking he's going to be able to put a sign at each tee; thus, cutting back on the information needed on just one sign. I certainly will also encourage next tee info; thanks for that reminder. We are certainly hoping pay to play will result in less vandalism; though the thread put up today regarding twin cities area (where they are installing some of the best maintained courses anywhere); makes me wonder?