Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,092 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
In addition to the dismissal of the fact, that the foundation of their ability to tour and make any money, is built upon the backs of thousands of volunteers and probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours. Biting the hand that feeds them seems like a bad idea.
This times a thousand.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 98 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
You make some solid points. Now imagine this is how every one of those poor neglected pros has chosen to earn their living.
So again, yes they’ve chosen Pro disc golf to earn their living, does that mean they forfeit the right to have any expectations, and to point out when those expectations are not met?

Sounds like a lot of bitter, jealous people on these boards. If the Pros are trying to have their cake and eat it too, then so are all of you.

So much for following dreams and pursuing your passions. Put your head down and put in your 50 hours...

Don’t hate the player, hate the game (the PDGA has created).

Niced: (1)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.
Here is one thing I have noticed, might be irrelevant, maybe not. Paige wears those sturdy Keen hikers with thick tread. Cat likes regular Nike running shoes. Seems like when they are not on ideal pad conditions, Paige does fine while Cat seems to have footing issues.

I've played plenty of morning rounds on that Toboggan course and let me tell you those rubber tee pads are touch slick with that 8am morning dew on them (when the girls tee off). Notice something similar as BSF on those wet old pads.

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 07-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,975 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
So again, yes they’ve chosen Pro disc golf to earn their living, does that mean they forfeit the right to have any expectations, and to point out when those expectations are not met?
They have a right to certain expectations and certainly to have those expectations met. In fact, the players may be 100% right about this event and this TD and their complaints about it. Doesn't mean I can't think they're being entitled *******s for running to social media to air their grievances rather than talking to someone that might be able to address the problems directly.

It's not like they signed on to be touring players after being sold a bill of goods that no one is living up to. Touring life is a grind and an entirely unstable way to earn a living. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good if you want the life.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,376 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
In a way yes. . but in another way no

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two
I agree with this. A 500-100-putt is the same as a 400-200-putt score of three. If it's shorter, Paige could birdie where others couldn't.

More technical courses would also be a "Paige-proofing" remedy, but TPTB have determined they want us to see open courses and long, wide-open hyzers...

Old 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 214
Niced 1,518 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Sounds like a lot of bitter, jealous people on these boards. If the Pros are trying to have their cake and eat it too, then so are all of you.

So much for following dreams and pursuing your passions. Put your head down and put in your 50 hours...

Don’t hate the player, hate the game (the PDGA has created).
Bitter? Because I don't have sympathy for people struggling while chasing their dreams? Hardly. That's how life works. Do I respect them for chasing their dreams? Yes. Do I think they deserve any special treatment for taking a risk? Hell no. If you can't support yourself in your chosen profession (which is performance-based, and they clearly aren't performing well enough), either find a second job to supplement until you improve and don't need it or a different job that allows you to support yourself. That's part of life. Just because you want to be a professional disc golfer doesn't mean you can be one.

Considering it sounds like Dodge is having trouble making ends meet for the tour itself, where do you expect those expectations to come from if Dodge can't provide them, and the pros don't want to work for them? Are you going to cover those expenses? I bet you want the PDGA to stretch their budget even thinner for people who just need to accept they need either a lot more practice or another career.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
They have a right to certain expectations and certainly to have those expectations met. In fact, the players may be 100% right about this event and this TD and their complaints about it. Doesn't mean I can't think they're being entitled *******s for running to social media to air their grievances rather than talking to someone that might be able to address the problems directly.

It's not like they signed on to be touring players after being sold a bill of goods that no one is living up to. Touring life is a grind and an entirely unstable way to earn a living. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good if you want the life.
Thought it was established that Paul's comments came from a private group chat that was leaked? Are you suggesting that Pro's can't have private conversations?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,864 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Thought it was established that Paul's comments came from a private group chat that was leaked? Are you suggesting that Pro's can't have private conversations?
I AM suggesting that nothing on the interwebz is really private and the generation of pros we are talking about, should know that.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,249 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
....My dude....

Don’t know if you’re trolling me or what, but it’s called the Professional Disc Golf Association. Not DGA or ADGA. It literally was formed to support Professional disc golf.

I suggest a deep dive into the financials the PDGA buries on its webpage. The number one expense, besides supporting its own existence, is the National Tour. The EDGE program gets like $2 per week; The TDs work for free or whatever they can skim off of disc sales; their major Pro events outnumber major Am events 3-1, and Am events have title sponsors footing the bill etc

Interesting post. If you look at most of my posts this year, I am 100% on board with getting the pro side of the sport up to a much higher level of exposure, money, etc. I had no idea the PDGA was supporting the pro side as much as you are claiming it to be. I admit I don't know anything about where the pdga puts it's money. But I will certainly take the time to do more research on the subject. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I AM suggesting that nothing on the interwebz is really private and the generation of pros we are talking about, should know that.
Would communication by carrier pigeon be more to your liking or would you prefer they use semaphore, gramps?