#61  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Grippenripp's Avatar
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 6
Posts: 1,389
Niced 427 Times in 314 Posts
Default

If a thinner putter feels good then throw a thinner putter, I wouldn't suggest a ringer but IDK you may it, I throw Discraft so it's hard to suggest anything but Discraft, however, the caltrop seems nice and skinny, idk about it's flight characteristics though, just don't think the ringer would be a good putting only disc, unless maybe you're a spin putter
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 8,216
Niced 706 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I think you're basically correct and I think some it is subjective, and, and.... I have no idea.

Here's where I disagree, from a personal standpoint. I want a neutral, slow, floaty putter because I have a fairly low velocity putt, so I rely on float/glide/whatever to make up for less velocity. And there's no way to say this to sound humble, but whatever....I'm an above average putter and I don't ever worry at all about comeback putts. It doesn't cross my mind that I might miss.
Part of me wonders if I developed the putt because I came up putting 86 Softies, or if the low velocity style was born of using that kind of putter. Probably doesn't matter.
So, if I use something thinner/more shallow, they tend to fall off quicker because I'm probably not giving them enough pace, I think.

So for me, overstable or faster putters fall off quicker than neutral or floaty. It is a noticeable difference to me, even inside the circle, between say a Pure and a Magic.
I think everything you say about putting can be discounted due your 86 Softie use.

That gets to be an OS/neutral thing though, doesn't it. I mean there have always been touch putters like the 86 Softie or the APX that you could soft toss more effectively than say an Aviar. I know it contradicts what I said about putters not gliding, but XD's were a putter that would get me in trouble because it was understable and would glide. The XD is the original low-profile putter. So I think you can get some putters that respond better to the low-power thing, but I think it's going to have more to do with the stability of the disc than if it is speed 2 or 3.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,417
Niced 767 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I think everything you say about putting can be discounted due your 86 Softie use.

That gets to be an OS/neutral thing though, doesn't it. I mean there have always been touch putters like the 86 Softie or the APX that you could soft toss more effectively than say an Aviar. I know it contradicts what I said about putters not gliding, but XD's were a putter that would get me in trouble because it was understable and would glide. The XD is the original low-profile putter. So I think you can get some putters that respond better to the low-power thing, but I think it's going to have more to do with the stability of the disc than if it is speed 2 or 3.
That's fair. I've not done much putting with an XD.
Maybe I just like slow and neutral.

And 86 Softies are awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 8,216
Niced 706 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
And 86 Softies are awesome.
I once watched an 86 Softie change directions seven times on a 20' putt. It would have been awesome, except it was my putt.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-18-2017, 12:47 AM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,417
Niced 767 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Well, nothing is perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Queen's Avatar
Queen Queen is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Charlotte
Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 92
Niced 49 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Anyone mention Mirage?

It’s a putting pancake.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=120646
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Dr. Bogey's Avatar
Dr. Bogey Dr. Bogey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central PA
Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 194
Niced 53 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I think you're basically correct and I think some it is subjective, and, and.... I have no idea.

Here's where I disagree, from a personal standpoint. I want a neutral, slow, floaty putter because I have a fairly low velocity putt, so I rely on float/glide/whatever to make up for less velocity. And there's no way to say this to sound humble, but whatever....I'm an above average putter and I don't ever worry at all about comeback putts. It doesn't cross my mind that I might miss.
Part of me wonders if I developed the putt because I came up putting 86 Softies, or if the low velocity style was born of using that kind of putter. Probably doesn't matter.
So, if I use something thinner/more shallow, they tend to fall off quicker because I'm probably not giving them enough pace, I think.

So for me, overstable or faster putters fall off quicker than neutral or floaty. It is a noticeable difference to me, even inside the circle, between say a Pure and a Magic.
This describes my experience very well (except for the part about being an above-average putter). I putted with a Pure for a while and consistently left putts short. I had much better results with a Gauntlet, but I missed that low profile. Right now I'm trying Pilots, which have the Pure's shallowness and almost as much glide as the Gauntlet.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,417
Niced 767 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
This describes my experience very well (except for the part about being an above-average putter). I putted with a Pure for a while and consistently left putts short. I had much better results with a Gauntlet, but I missed that low profile. Right now I'm trying Pilots, which have the Pure's shallowness and almost as much glide as the Gauntlet.
I've been putting Pilots lately also. Liking them a lot, although I'm not sure I'll switch away from my P&As.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 8,216
Niced 706 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
Anyone mention Mirage?

It’s a putting pancake.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=120646
Anybody willing to putt with something as understable as a Mirage had my respect. Those things are so flippy that they turn over when the heater kicks on during indoor putting leagues.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,157
Niced 1,409 Times in 660 Posts
Default

I think the Dagger is a good option for the OP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.