Disc Golf Center
Old 11-17-2017, 10:45 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If a thinner putter feels good then throw a thinner putter, I wouldn't suggest a ringer but IDK you may it, I throw Discraft so it's hard to suggest anything but Discraft, however, the caltrop seems nice and skinny, idk about it's flight characteristics though, just don't think the ringer would be a good putting only disc, unless maybe you're a spin putter
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 351 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I think you're basically correct and I think some it is subjective, and, and.... I have no idea.

Here's where I disagree, from a personal standpoint. I want a neutral, slow, floaty putter because I have a fairly low velocity putt, so I rely on float/glide/whatever to make up for less velocity. And there's no way to say this to sound humble, but whatever....I'm an above average putter and I don't ever worry at all about comeback putts. It doesn't cross my mind that I might miss.
Part of me wonders if I developed the putt because I came up putting 86 Softies, or if the low velocity style was born of using that kind of putter. Probably doesn't matter.
So, if I use something thinner/more shallow, they tend to fall off quicker because I'm probably not giving them enough pace, I think.

So for me, overstable or faster putters fall off quicker than neutral or floaty. It is a noticeable difference to me, even inside the circle, between say a Pure and a Magic.
I think everything you say about putting can be discounted due your 86 Softie use.

That gets to be an OS/neutral thing though, doesn't it. I mean there have always been touch putters like the 86 Softie or the APX that you could soft toss more effectively than say an Aviar. I know it contradicts what I said about putters not gliding, but XD's were a putter that would get me in trouble because it was understable and would glide. The XD is the original low-profile putter. So I think you can get some putters that respond better to the low-power thing, but I think it's going to have more to do with the stability of the disc than if it is speed 2 or 3.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 445 Times in 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I think everything you say about putting can be discounted due your 86 Softie use.

That gets to be an OS/neutral thing though, doesn't it. I mean there have always been touch putters like the 86 Softie or the APX that you could soft toss more effectively than say an Aviar. I know it contradicts what I said about putters not gliding, but XD's were a putter that would get me in trouble because it was understable and would glide. The XD is the original low-profile putter. So I think you can get some putters that respond better to the low-power thing, but I think it's going to have more to do with the stability of the disc than if it is speed 2 or 3.
That's fair. I've not done much putting with an XD.
Maybe I just like slow and neutral.

And 86 Softies are awesome.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:57 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
And 86 Softies are awesome.
I once watched an 86 Softie change directions seven times on a 20' putt. It would have been awesome, except it was my putt.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Well, nothing is perfect.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 47 Times in 23 Posts

Anyone mention Mirage?

It’s a putting pancake.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=120646
Old 11-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
I think you're basically correct and I think some it is subjective, and, and.... I have no idea.

Here's where I disagree, from a personal standpoint. I want a neutral, slow, floaty putter because I have a fairly low velocity putt, so I rely on float/glide/whatever to make up for less velocity. And there's no way to say this to sound humble, but whatever....I'm an above average putter and I don't ever worry at all about comeback putts. It doesn't cross my mind that I might miss.
Part of me wonders if I developed the putt because I came up putting 86 Softies, or if the low velocity style was born of using that kind of putter. Probably doesn't matter.
So, if I use something thinner/more shallow, they tend to fall off quicker because I'm probably not giving them enough pace, I think.

So for me, overstable or faster putters fall off quicker than neutral or floaty. It is a noticeable difference to me, even inside the circle, between say a Pure and a Magic.
This describes my experience very well (except for the part about being an above-average putter). I putted with a Pure for a while and consistently left putts short. I had much better results with a Gauntlet, but I missed that low profile. Right now I'm trying Pilots, which have the Pure's shallowness and almost as much glide as the Gauntlet.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
This describes my experience very well (except for the part about being an above-average putter). I putted with a Pure for a while and consistently left putts short. I had much better results with a Gauntlet, but I missed that low profile. Right now I'm trying Pilots, which have the Pure's shallowness and almost as much glide as the Gauntlet.
I've been putting Pilots lately also. Liking them a lot, although I'm not sure I'll switch away from my P&As.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
Anyone mention Mirage?

It’s a putting pancake.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=120646
Anybody willing to putt with something as understable as a Mirage had my respect. Those things are so flippy that they turn over when the heater kicks on during indoor putting leagues.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-18-2017, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 576 Times in 269 Posts

I think the Dagger is a good option for the OP