Old 11-18-2017, 10:29 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendryxdisc View Post
Where would the meteor fall between the mako/mako3 and comet? Love the comet but sans fan grip it's fairly uncomfortable for me, wondering about the rim shape on other stable mids.
Don't throw makos, but Buzzz is the most comfortable mid I've ever thrown, hands down. Wasp has a pretty big bead but is far more comfortable for me than the comet. Try using a modified grip like a pinch/power grip vs. a fan grip for your mids. That's what works for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 46 Times in 38 Posts

my tunnel shot/ very straight/hyzer flip discs are : Pure, Claymore, Warship, and Renegade - depending on distance- especially recommend the Claymore, it has a nice feel to the rim shape- I used to throw Buzzz SS and Comet in this slot
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 32 Times in 18 Posts

The Mako3 needs more power than a Comet to fly straight. Comet hands down for wooded play, far superior at all power levels.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 348 Times in 156 Posts

I think the Mako3 gets thrown into the "woods" category on an assumption that a woods course is going to be all straight tunnel shots. In theory a low-line straight disc would make sense. I've never been on a wooded course where all the shots are straight tunnel shots. Straight tunnel shots are actually fairly rare on the wooded courses I play. A versatile disc that I can hit a variety of lines with is the key there, which means Comet. You can end up with a low-ceiling shot where the Comet won't work, but from my experience you will play a lot fewer holes where a Comet won't work than you will holes where a Mako3 won't work.

They are such different discs I don't know why people want to compare them. People do, though. This isn't the first time this has come up. The Mako and Mako3 were not designed to be Comet competition. They were made to be Buzzz competition. That's the disc that people should compare Makos to, not Comets.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Niced 138 Times in 115 Posts

Random comment - if you're looking for a straight midrange that is a mix between a seasoned dx Roc, a Comet, and the feel of a Buzzz I highly recommend an AXIOM ALIAS - it is the straightest midrange I've ever thrown and I mean, power throw, level release, start to finish it is STRAIGHT. Not hyzerflip an understable disc to stand up and ride straight, not a stable-os disc that is powered and stays straight with a fade at the end, its S T R AI G H T. I recommend 175-177g Neutron, I have 6 of them, all are straight. for reals. I throw that sucker on BRP hole #4 off the tee every time. Its a flight of beauty.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 561 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Random comment - if you're looking for a straight midrange that is a mix between a seasoned dx Roc, a Comet, and the feel of a Buzzz I highly recommend an AXIOM ALIAS - it is the straightest midrange I've ever thrown and I mean, power throw, level release, start to finish it is STRAIGHT. Not hyzerflip an understable disc to stand up and ride straight, not a stable-os disc that is powered and stays straight with a fade at the end, its S T R AI G H T. I recommend 175-177g Neutron, I have 6 of them, all are straight. for reals. I throw that sucker on BRP hole #4 off the tee every time. Its a flight of beauty.
I haven't tried the Alias, but I've found the MVP Axis to be a very straight disc.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 561 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
They are such different discs I don't know why people want to compare them. People do, though. This isn't the first time this has come up. The Mako and Mako3 were not designed to be Comet competition. They were made to be Buzzz competition. That's the disc that people should compare Makos to, not Comets.
I suspect that the perceived notion that both discs (especially the Mako3) are straight-to-understable and generally used for similar shots is why the comparisons are made. I personally don't see the Mako3 as competition for the Buzzz, which is (or starts out, anyway) as stable to slightly overstable. The Mako3 is IMHO complimentary to the Buzzz. Admittedly, my Buzzzes are Ti plastic, and might be more overstable than other Buzzz plastics.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 55 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I suspect that the perceived notion that both discs (especially the Mako3) are straight-to-understable and generally used for similar shots is why the comparisons are made. I personally don't see the Mako3 as competition for the Buzzz, which is (or starts out, anyway) as stable to slightly overstable. The Mako3 is IMHO complimentary to the Buzzz. Admittedly, my Buzzzes are Ti plastic, and might be more overstable than other Buzzz plastics.
Makeo and Meko 3 are suposed to be the disc to rival the Impact in fact look at the rim shape of the Mako, like a Impact but without the Bead the Impact has. Once the Meko came out and then more so with the 3 version the discs that took the spot of a Impact. I use the Impact and would over the Meko and 3 version due to the bead helping the disc stay in my hand better, those discs are shallow and have a low dome so I like having the bead to give the disc a bit of an extra depth feel to the rim by having Discraft utilize the rim.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 55 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I think the Mako3 gets thrown into the "woods" category on an assumption that a woods course is going to be all straight tunnel shots. In theory a low-line straight disc would make sense. I've never been on a wooded course where all the shots are straight tunnel shots. Straight tunnel shots are actually fairly rare on the wooded courses I play. A versatile disc that I can hit a variety of lines with is the key there, which means Comet. You can end up with a low-ceiling shot where the Comet won't work, but from my experience you will play a lot fewer holes where a Comet won't work than you will holes where a Mako3 won't work.

Should play a course or two I have played, and my two local courses have a use for a Meko/3 or an Impact. The driver like midrange type disc the Meko is or the midrange like Driver the Impact is are very similar discs just the Impact is a bit more driver like due to the nose being less blunt then the Meko.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Niced 348 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
That wasn't my point. Comets are old-school high line discs you throw like a putter. The Mako and Mako3 are the new-school "throw them low like a driver" discs like a Buzzz. The old school high line discs tend to be more versatile so you don't really limit yourself to one shot with them. The new school low line discs tend to do one thing well and nothing else worth mentioning. The comparison should be where does the Mako fall in with discs like the Buzzz and the Meteor because that is the kind of disc it is, not that it is going to fly exactly like either one. You can throw a Buzzz and a Mako with he same throwing style and they will do what they do.

Once you start comparing a Comet to a Mako, you need somebody who can throw equally well in both throwing styles OR you are going to get people like me that will swear up and down that the Comet is better because my throwing style lends itself to throwing Comets more than Makos. Really to choose between the two you just need to know what kind of thrower you are.