Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Once dialed in the Comet is a more versatile disc. Unfortunately it has a giant learning curve because it truly holds whatever line you put it on. I have a well-seasoned ESP that is fun to throw during rec rounds, but I would never trust it when nerves are on the line. The Mako3 is similar enough but is not as sensitive. As pointed out earlier, if you do back off it will have a fade, and if overpowered, it will turn more than you would like, but it has a wider safe zone for small mistakes.

Another great choice that will never leave my bag is the Gazelle. It is a slow and short fairway but it is the definition of true stability. It does not fade hard, preferring to land flat, but it is also torque resistant, trying its best to remain flat in flight. Most Gazelle throwers prefer flat DX or Champion Glow, but I actually prefer a nice domey Star. They have a little more glide and have a touch more stability, which makes them perfect once they have a touch of seasoning on them.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 41 Posts

I am bagging a Mako3 right now for tunnels/wooded mid shots, and it is a great disc IMO. As others have said, it is a very straight disc.

My one piece of advice would be to get both the Comet and Mako3 in your hand and see which feels better for you. They are very different. The Comet feels essentially like a Roc in the hand, but the Mako3 has a unique feel to it. It has a pretty "chunky" rim, for lack of a better word. You would want to make sure you are OK with the feel of it if you plan to roll with the Mako3.

Of course, picking up one of each and doing some testing of your own is probably the best plan.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Mako is more user friendly, but if you have smooth clean form then the Comet is better at the true straight lines.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 97
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Mako3s are a great disc. I used to throw them a lot but have replaced them with Claymores which fly very similar. I just find the Claymore more reliable, prefer the feel in the hand, and love the feel of Opto plastic. Both are great though. I never clicked with the Comet and don't like the feel of the rim. I have some buddies that can do amazing things with Comets though - just not for me.

Straight tunnels on the shorter side: Proxy
Straight tunnels on the longer side: River or SFD

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 134
Niced 353 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
depends on what kind of mids you like.

If you're a fan of discs like the buzzz/axis you'd probably like the mako better. It's a bit faster and likes a lower line, and has some fade at the end. A little more resistant to torque.

If you're a fan of discs like the Roc/Wasp/Ghost you'd probably like the comet better. It's slower, glidier, and doesn't mind being thrown like a putter or with nose up. Not very torque resistant.
Kinda what I was going to say. I really, really like Mako3's but they can't really push Comets out of my bag becasue I'm the poster child for nose up/no snap sucky disc golfers and the Comet is my spirit disc. The problem there is the high line/low line thing. I need some room up top to throw a Comet; it's going to lift. The Mako3 I can throw a little harder, torque on it some and it will stay low and straight. It fades some at the end but nothing crazy. I'm not a big fan of carrying one disc for one specific shot, but I end up carting around a Mako3 a lot and throwing it once or twice in a round when I'm relying on Comets as my mid. I really can't execute the low line shot with a Comet.

I actually do the same thing with Rocs and Sentinels; I don't do a great job of throwing either a Comet or Roc on a low line.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 83 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
I used to own 5 Mako's, I now have none and instead own 4 Comets.

I pair a 175g Z Comet (workhorse) with a 178g ESP. Dominate the woods. Earn the respect of the squirrels and woodland creatures. They will laugh at your Mako3.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 18 Times in 17 Posts

It seems that once one is converted to the Cult of the Comet, there is no leaving. It's like the mob, once in, never out and I am alright with that.

Anyone that doesn't believe how good the Comet is in the woods, go watch MJ win this year's Hall of Fame tournament. Yes, he has the skill to hit lines most of us never will, but the disc still has to hold said lines.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 563 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Another great choice that will never leave my bag is the Gazelle. It is a slow and short fairway but it is the definition of true stability. It does not fade hard, preferring to land flat, but it is also torque resistant, trying its best to remain flat in flight.
Hmmm, wonder how long before a V-Gazelle comes out?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 563 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Hmmm, wonder how long before a V-Gazelle comes out?
And furthermore to that subject, would anything be straighter than a V-Mako or V-Mako3?

Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Mako is faster than a comet.
More comparable to a Buzzz SS than a comet.
Ive tried several Mako's and was unimpressed.
I love comets tho....
I bag a fresh Z and beat X comet.
That covers all my stable to understable shots at lower speeds.
If I need more speed I step up to my buzzz's