Old 11-09-2017, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Niced 138 Times in 115 Posts

Yeah I've putted both. The Dagger is a touch slower, but more glide, and less fade. I like it better, but the feel of the wizard I prefer. Its tough. I found that the wiz will have a sharper dump/fade at the end when putted. When thrown the wizard is superior I feel, I don't throw my daggers tho, I have throwing putters in their own slot for that.

Yeah, Plastic is a difference too. If you live in cold weather areas this time of year the Medium Dagger does well. If its warmer than 55-60 I prefer he Hard. Medium in summer is too gummy, and hard in winter is like putting with a plate.

I am liking the dagger a lot. It just has a nice reliable predictable straight/stable flight. When new it has decent fade but it wears that out pretty quick and its actually really straight, but still some fade. Great putter, I don't LOVE the deep dish feel, but the side/grip is really nice as it fills the palm and easy to putt. I think youll be happy with em
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 46 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent B View Post
According to infinite discs. Dagger depth is 1.5 and wizard is 1.8.
I'm not trying to putt like Rick.
Ideally I just want a less stable wizard.
Infinite gets their measurements from the PDGA spreadsheet. These measurements are notoriously imprecise and often times flat out inaccurate.

FYI the dagger is listed at 1.5, so is the aviar and the judge... for what it's worth the dagger is clearly deeper than the judge when you compare the depth from bottom of the bead to the flightplate. Not sure how the Wizard compares; I think it may actually be slightly deeper than the dagger measured the same way.

The real difference in depth from Wiz to Dagger comes from the super beefy shoulder of the dagger - you can tell there's extra material up there that really fills up the heel of your hand.

I personally used to putt with Wizards, then switched to Judges in part due to the more shallow feel, and in part due to the more mellow flight for longer putts. Then I tried a Dagger in a store and it clicked immediately. I would say the Dagger has the float of a wizard and the mellow flight of the judge. I haven't gotten the chance to use them in a breeze but admittedly I have to assume they don't hold up as well as either.

Also in the way of throwing them, if you're used to driving wizards the deep, beefy feel probably won't bother you. On the other hand, Judges are well known for their easy driving capability due to the comfy, shallow feel with a very neutral flight.

Anyway, yes I recommend switching to daggers. TLDR: More neutral, still deep dish, still glidey.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts

OK I'm convinced. Buying a bushel of daggers and not looking back. I think they will be a good fit. Wind isn't a huge problem where I live.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent B View Post
OK I'm convinced. Buying a bushel of daggers and not looking back. I think they will be a good fit. Wind isn't a huge problem where I live.
If (bushel = 2) then go for it. But give 'em a good try before (over)loading up on them. I started out with Star Aviar P&As... still have 5 of 'em that I pretty much never use, and that was after giving a couple away.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

I'd think going with something more different than the Wizard would be a better experiment. Dagger, JK Aviars, Rhyno, Wizard are nearly the same in flight/effort to distance. Colt, PA Aviar, Voodoo, Reef, Magic seem like they would be more likely to give a thrower seeing a putt fade at 30ft a little more on line distance.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Par Member

I don't want a completely neutral putter. I understand what your saying. I like wizards but in that 30-40ft range they fade a fraction of a second earlier than I want. Yes I can compensate for it but for consistency's sake I want my 20ft putts and 30-40ft putts to be relatively the same besides height change. I like my putting style and I've been doing it for a while. I feel a neutral or slightly US putter I would be catching weak chains on the right.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 194 Times in 114 Posts

You could try a lighter wizard, they have more loft than heavier ones
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts

Is this just for putting? Or do you also drive with your putters? I personally drive with my putting putters, and I have a few wizards that are so beat up, that they fly like magics. They putt very straight.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made the switch, 3 months ago and I'm loving it, not for throwing, feels really slow so I'm gonna try P2 for a throwing putter.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Par Member

I don't really care for driving my wizards but I do sometimes when a mid is too much. Upshots though. If I stick with daggers I will probably adopt a new putter for driving besides my harp(mostly FH). Something I can turn over. I've been eyeballing the pure. I'd like to stick with max weight putters.