#451  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:29 PM
discerdoo's Avatar
discerdoo discerdoo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,698
Niced 1,473 Times in 760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
This. Exactly. I threw SOLS in between OLFs and Roadrunners until I beat in a bunch of SOLFs. Now I just throw SOLFs (and roll Roadrunners, although RRs SOMETIMES get thrown too).
I have some pretty beat p-PDs that I bag occasionally but I'm loathe to take the OLS out. I have a couple older ones I picked up used that I'm pretty fond of. Love the firm star plastic on some of the dye runs. Got a new run that I'm not as fond of.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 06-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

My very first OLF came in the mail today. I'm excited! I got it in the Millennium plastic JIC i didnt like it. Haven't got to throw it yet but I really like the feel and shape of this bad boy. Will definately report back after throwing.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
My very first OLF came in the mail today. I'm excited! I got it in the Millennium plastic JIC i didnt like it. Haven't got to throw it yet but I really like the feel and shape of this bad boy. Will definately report back after throwing.
So, after a day of field testing (80 throws?) some more field work today and a casual round with the OLF it is safe to say its not the disc I was looking for definitely beefy when new but it is workable. The lack of glide is what killed it for me ( I have the standard plastic) not sure if maybe it's a freak thing or if the sirius or quantum are glidier? But for me the OLF won't be going in the bag (just yet) I'll break it out and keep throwing it from time to time but for me Thundys and valks I do believe will hold their slots down.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 06-09-2018, 02:49 PM
krooster krooster is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Glenview, IL
Courses Played: 6
Posts: 248
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
So, after a day of field testing (80 throws?) some more field work today and a casual round with the OLF it is safe to say its not the disc I was looking for definitely beefy when new but it is workable. The lack of glide is what killed it for me ( I have the standard plastic) not sure if maybe it's a freak thing or if the sirius or quantum are glidier? But for me the OLF won't be going in the bag (just yet) I'll break it out and keep throwing it from time to time but for me Thundys and valks I do believe will hold their slots down.
The Thunderbird in GStar plastic basically does everything for me that the OLF in base plastic did, with the exception that I can rely on the Thunderbird to hold more stable into a headwind. Still really like the OLF, but don't throw it anymore because of the Thunderbird.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 06-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooster View Post
The Thunderbird in GStar plastic basically does everything for me that the OLF in base plastic did, with the exception that I can rely on the Thunderbird to hold more stable into a headwind. Still really like the OLF, but don't throw it anymore because of the Thunderbird.
I threw it in some moderate headwind and it did okay. That being said it was different. I know what the Thundy is gonna do in wind
I'm cool with it because now I have my fairway setup dialed in. Mostly.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 06-10-2018, 02:55 PM
haier2's Avatar
haier2 haier2 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central and Patterson
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 203
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
The lack of glide is what killed it for me ( I have the standard plastic) not sure if maybe it's a freak thing or if the sirius or quantum are glidier? But for me the OLF won't be going in the bag (just yet) I'll break it out and keep throwing it from time to time but for me Thundys and valks I do believe will hold their slots down.
I'm somewhat surprised you find the base OLF to lack glide, I've really only experienced that with some QOLF. I don't have much experience with Thunderbirds but do own a Star 175 that is beefier than even my most overstable QOLF.

If you're looking for some more turn with that disc, I'd say wear in the base OLF via some trees. The differentiating factor for me bagging OLFs over PDs and Thundys has always been the turn/glide with a dependable fade.

As for the other plastics, Quantum is generally the most overstable and has the least glide. Sirius is really my plastic of choice for these, I have a 175 in the bag that's been there just over a year and I've just recently added a fresh one. The year-seasoned SOLF has a very defined turn at this point, but will come back with enough hyzer or height.

I've got one new run base Millennium plastic and it was a bit more overstable out of the box than previous base runs, but it started turning after just a few rounds. Not useful to me right now, but I think it could be beaten in pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM
krooster krooster is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Glenview, IL
Courses Played: 6
Posts: 248
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I'm also surprised at the idea that an OLF doesn't have good glide, that was not my experience either. I just prefer a reliably straight to fade flight over the turn to fade flight which some might call more workable.
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Well, Im going back to the drawing board boys.. After throwing worm burners all week I'm beginning to think it was the archer not the arrow. Now that being said I am also about to tey the viking as well. The OLF still might be a little too beefy for my style of play. But I am gonna give it another shot. After some form work.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:30 PM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,324
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Well, Im going back to the drawing board boys.. After throwing worm burners all week I'm beginning to think it was the archer not the arrow. Now that being said I am also about to tey the viking as well. The OLF still might be a little too beefy for my style of play. But I am gonna give it another shot. After some form work.
What's making you pick the Viking over the Valkyrie?
Reply With Quote
 

  #460  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Is the viking a valk style disc? Infigured with -1/2 numbers thay it was more of a controlled fairway but stable. If it's a valk type disc then its a no go I love my Valks. So I was thinking Viking in the OLF/Thundy/whatever slot. Was I wrong here?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10$ MEGA THREAD 10$ Scarps The Marketplace 16 03-11-2015 09:53 PM
New Mega Thread: A little of everything. You know you wanna look! apdrvya The Marketplace 21 06-12-2011 11:51 PM
MEGA FS THREAD! Some of everything blackandwhite The Marketplace 28 05-12-2011 11:25 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.