Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,487 Times in 691 Posts

Considering that you are placing the object on your lie, and you have to put your foot or knee on the lie, then logic dictates that it would be compressed on the lie.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,943 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
Just because you put quotes on it, doesn't make it what the rules say. The rule is:

It mentions nothing about being compressed on the lie. So no, the literal interpretation does not vary at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdga
801.03 A
An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.
Ipso facto by the direct PDGA rule book quote.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

I quoted the rule in my post, but I realize that your reading comprehension might be lacking. The rule does not require you to compress the item at the lie, it only states that the item needs to be able to be compressed to a maximum thickness of 1 cm. If I have something like a foam ball that I can compress to less than 1 cm, i can put that on my lie, place a finger on top without compressing it, and that would be perfectly legal according to 801.03 A. It wouldn't make much sense, but it's ment as an example of why you are reading the rule incorrectly.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I quoted the rule in my post, but I realize that your reading comprehension might be lacking. The rule does not require you to compress the item at the lie, it only states that the item needs to be able to be compressed to a maximum thickness of 1 cm. If I have something like a foam ball that I can compress to less than 1 cm, i can put that on my lie, place a finger on top without compressing it, and that would be perfectly legal according to 801.03 A. It wouldn't make much sense, but it's ment as an example of why you are reading the rule incorrectly.
No chief. You appear to not be comprehending the "as long as" qualifier in that same sentence as the "when compressed" along with "on the lie".

In a logic argument:
If when compressed to less than 1cm, then it is allowed on the lie.

Your foam ball example is illegal if you are touching it. Touching anything requires compression, albeit not much compression which is what makes your foam ball illegal in this case because you are not compressing enough to be legal, as long as, when it is touched/compressed on the lie. Now if your foam ball scenario is just outside the lie, then it would be legal since it's not on the lie when compressed.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 239 Times in 91 Posts

Just buy a SewFly. I've had a couple custom-made pads with pterodactyls on them.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

I'll just tie a shoe to my knee that is greater than 1cm even when compressed. Shoes are legal devices.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
So why not change the wording of the rule to be more clear (literally )?
Because that makes rule books turn into multi volume tomes that are impossible to read for everyone but lawyers and even then you have to have someone explain the whole thing.

Every sport is like this.

In most sports what you have in addition to the rules is a referees handbook that presents general interpretations of the rules that focus on the intent or spirit of the rule. The rule books themselves are written with brevity in mind to give an outline of what is and is not ok.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
How could anyone honestly comprehend this rule, in this way?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 1373
Niced 969 Times in 336 Posts

It also doesn't state how much force of compression it should take to get it to 1 cm, pretty much any everyday household item can be compressed to much less than 1 cm, just look up those hydraulic press videos on youtube...

Old 12-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
How could anyone honestly comprehend this rule, in this way?
because I can read?