Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 644 Times in 273 Posts
Default Distance is Lacking

So I've loaded some videos of me throwing.
It's been a few years since I've sent anything into this Forum.
My form and distance have improved, but the distance is still not where I think it should be.
The throws captured here are mid-ranges, either a Comet or a Cobra, and went 270-290'

I know a few things that I'm doing wrong and working on, these are easy:
First, I pull my leading shoulder up/in during my throw. It's a legacy from my old form that I struggle with. This, I think is my biggest issue.
Second, I am too upright. It helps with consistency and control, but I think I would do better to bend a little at the waist.
Third, not sure if my arm is in time with my core. Releasing the arm's forward movement too early or too late?

I don't have any way to easily edit the vids.
All of them are recorded in Slo-Mo.

Overhead starts at about :35
RearView starts at about :25
SideView starts at about :45

You may notice that on one or two of the vids I point my arms out. I do this when I can't see how the disc flew on the video, so I'll know if it was a straight throw or not. These were all straight.

Overhead starts at about :35

RearView starts at about :25

SideView starts at about :45
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,626 Times in 1,654 Posts

The biggest thing overall conceptually, I think is to be more natural with the arm. You are starting in that kind of rigid "power pocket" position, and then deciding when you backswing from that state...and it's a bit too early. You're at full backswing when your front foot is only about halfway to the plant. You then have to drag the extended arm ahead.

SW recommends a forward pump during the swing, and it has really been helping me too. If you pump or swing the arm forward during your initial right foot step, in a way that it feel similar to the throw, it will keep your body and torso more aggressively forward during the strides and naturally delay the backswing. Which will help sync up when the top of the backswing happens in relation to the plant step.

Also in your X-step, your left foot behind step is very far ahead of your body, and it causes the foot to turn back like 180 degrees from the target. This also turns your pelvis/hips back very far away during the strides...rather than you moving more laterally and able to turn back later as you are about to plant.

As your feet are uncrossing from each other, you can see that they are both pointing completely away from the target, and your front leg has to open into the plant step a bit. Rather than you moving more sideways and loading more at the last instant.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,944 Times in 2,404 Posts

You are hugging yourself and pulling your elbow forward/down instead of the elbow staying wide away from chest. Footwork is getting in the way of things, pushing off rear foot too late during swing and it's spinning out instead of shifting your weight forward before the swing. You should feel your rear foot leaving the ground before your arm/disc starts swinging forward, so all your weight leads the swing.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-15-2019, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,944 Times in 2,404 Posts

Niced: (1)