Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 282 Times in 177 Posts

He only throws 5 molds, but there's still several discs in there. Say, 4 rocs in different stages of wear. I can bag a Verdict, Emac Truth, Truth, Warrant and have the same feel in the hand, in premium plastic, and cover the same range of shots.

Cycling isn't for everyone. Sure, when you play as much as the touring pros do, cycling at least a couple molds makes sense (Ricky and enforcers, Paul and destroyers/roc3s). I guess I wouldn't get to hung up on if his bag is too simple. It's not. He's got 20+ discs still that do all he needs.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 30 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
It helps that he throws all backhand. I agree it's too simple if you use forehands regularly. The point is: know your game and know what discs work for your game. Philo knows his, and he knows that simplicity is an asset to him, not a weakness.
LOL what makes it too simple for forehands?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 68
Niced 133 Times in 75 Posts

If you can throw a good forehand, backhand, thumber, tommy then you really don't need to carry much at all. If you only have a good backhand or only a good forehand, then you need some more.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 232
Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
If you can throw a good forehand, backhand, thumber, tommy then you really don't need to carry much at all. If you only have a good backhand or only a good forehand, then you need some more.
But Philo only has a good backhand, and he's the one with a simple bag...
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,379 Times in 705 Posts

I think the simplicity of Philo's bag speaks more to the versatility of the molds he chooses to bag and his abilities than it does the effectiveness of his setup. If you've thrown any of the molds he bags for any amount of time, you'd know they (in various stages of wear) can cover a tremendous amount of shots.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

His bag isn't "simple."
He has X number of discs that all fly differently. Same as a person using unique molds for different flights. You still have to know how each one flies and pick the appropriate disc for the shot.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 718 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
It helps that he throws all backhand. I agree it's too simple if you use forehands regularly.
I don't get this. Actually I'd say the opposite is true: if you have a good FH and BH, you can cover more lines with fewer discs. I don't see how adding different throw options would somehow make a bag too simple.

(Unless there's an assumption that you need separate discs for FH and BH, which is false. I can comfortably forehand all 5 of the core Philo molds.)

However, that's not the topic at hand. Philo is crazy good throwing basically just 5 molds (and rarely ever using FH). So it's easy to say that no, Philo's bag is not too simple...given his skill set.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Niced 157 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I don't get this. Actually I'd say the opposite is true: if you have a good FH and BH, you can cover more lines with fewer discs. I don't see how adding different throw options would somehow make a bag too simple.

(Unless there's an assumption that you need separate discs for FH and BH, which is false. I can comfortably forehand all 5 of the core Philo molds.)

However, that's not the topic at hand. Philo is crazy good throwing basically just 5 molds (and rarely ever using FH). So it's easy to say that no, Philo's bag is not too simple...given his skill set.
Over time is isn't unreasonable to develop different disc preferences with your different throws. They're two different grips and motions. Needing varying disc to accommodate different throwing styles makes sense.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,379 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
Over time is isn't unreasonable to develop different disc preferences with your different throws. They're two different grips and motions. Needing varying disc to accommodate different throwing styles makes sense.
In the end, it all comes down to spin and throwing on plane. Grips, motions, etc. don't really matter.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
LOL what makes it too simple for forehands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post

Okay. I suppose I should just agree w/ Broken Shoulder and say his bag isn't simple at all. Give me that many different Destroyers, etc., and it's not actually that different from a 12 mold bag.

But I'm a forehand/backhand player. The vast majority of discs in my bag get thrown both ways, but some definitely work better FH or BH, even if only for grip differences. Sure I could throw a Leopard forehand, but it's not as easy/consistent as throwing something else. You have to admit that split BH/FH players have more molds in their bag... not sure about Ricky, but look at Nate.

Niced: (1)