Old 08-08-2017, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Discus View Post
I bet a lot of the sponsored guys make 6 figures in salary alone.
#giggles

Like maybe 3 or 4. Maybe.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 30 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Here's how I look at it:

I know lots of sales reps (pharmaceutical, medical supplies, videogame companies, etc. The list goes on forever) that make $300,000 + just for stopping in, doing a little ass kissing and understanding the product well enough to sell it. They are not the "best in the world" at what they do. They're just guys.

Sponsored disc golfers are in a lot of ways, sales reps, but they're sales reps that are semi famous and are the best in the world at what they do with the products they sell.

Lol this is a terrible comparison. Might be the worst comparison I've ever seen

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,170 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
I know lots of sales reps (pharmaceutical, medical supplies, videogame companies, etc. The list goes on forever) that make $300,000 + just for stopping in, doing a little ass kissing and understanding the product well enough to sell it.
First of all, if this is true, it's disgusting.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
Like maybe 3 or 4. Maybe.
This is probably closer, but do we know how the contracts are structured? There might be less of a base salary and more payment based on performance and disc sales.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,163 Times in 544 Posts

One, maybe two making six figures in base pay.

Using the sales rep analogy, the majority of people in sales make a small base salary.

It's all in commission and bonuses.

I would be willing to bet that there are more than a handful of pros who make six figures when you factor in winnings, bonuses and royalties.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Here's how I look at it:

I know lots of sales reps (pharmaceutical, medical supplies, videogame companies, etc. The list goes on forever) that make $300,000 + just for stopping in, doing a little ass kissing and understanding the product well enough to sell it. They are not the "best in the world" at what they do. They're just guys.

Sponsored disc golfers are in a lot of ways, sales reps, but they're sales reps that are semi famous and are the best in the world at what they do with the products they sell.

Yep, that's why they're all crashing at each other's houses and sharing transportation when they tour. Gotta love the sweet life.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Everybody pick on the new guy!!!

Just how I see it. No need for any wadding of panties.

I'm in sales, too, so I know a few things about base salaries, no salaries, and commissions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 4
Niced 275 Times in 137 Posts

Eagle and Simon cannot be making that much if they are stopping in April to play a B-Tier in Arkansas with a grand prize of 550$ at a tourney whose main disc sponsor was innova.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 232
Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Eagle and Simon cannot be making that much if they are stopping in April to play a B-Tier in Arkansas with a grand prize of 550$ at a tourney whose main disc sponsor was innova.
I don't really think that's a very meaningful argument. First, if a tournament is on the way for them between bigger events, why not stop and play it? Even if they won't get that much money, I'm sure they still enjoy competing.

Also, just because the added cash isn't that much, that doesn't mean it's their only source of income related to the event. Sponsored players get bonuses for winning events, so it's possible their bonus for winning a B tier event is as much, if not more than the amount they received in winnings. Also, they probably hosted clinics and sold discs while they were in the area, providing even more income.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
It was in between the Texas tournaments and Jonesboro. Plus, they held a flying circus event there as well. Also, I'm not sure about this tournament, but some tournaments will offer some incentives for top pros to come to their events like cross-promoting an event that the pros host like a clinic, challenge or whatever, some will find accommodations, allow them to vend for free, etc. Funny thing is about that tournament, Eagle ended up going home instead of playing in Jonesboro.

From experience, the "Flying Circus" events or the "McBeast Challenges" or whatever each set of pros do, is a better money maker than playing in smaller tournaments. It's probably usually a smarter business decision for Paul to host 3 events on a weekend with no big tournaments, than find a B-Tier to play.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,543 Times in 698 Posts

B-tier wins add 5 points to their Player of the Year points which can make a difference for the top contenders.