Old 06-11-2017, 11:38 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

TDs in general are market driven meaning if they are happy with the turnout, they don't feel the need to lower the fee or change the format, i.e., to true am or from true am back to standard. In fact, these days TDs may be inclined to raise fees toward the PDGA max if they're selling out.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
For example, tournaments at Madeline Bertrand sell out OFTEN because they only charge $25 and there's no PDGA membership requirement, no huge players pack...Just playing for some fancy wood trophy and a few random draw door prizes.

Point is, if you're going to charge a lot of money to people who generally don't make a lot you're going to have to provide motivation for them to attend other than just "pride" or "thrill of competition."
The argument is that if PDGA events stopped having the big payouts---in prizes or players packs---they wouldn't have to charge the big entry fees. The entries are inflated to cover the payouts; the payouts are justification for the entry fees. Which an awful lot of players seem to like, judging by their attendance.

If PDGA tournaments were truly Trophy Only (no players packs), they could be like those Madeline Bertrand events (except for the PDGA membership part).
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,801 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The argument is that if PDGA events stopped having the big payouts---in prizes or players packs---they wouldn't have to charge the big entry fees. The entries are inflated to cover the payouts; the payouts are justification for the entry fees. Which an awful lot of players seem to like, judging by their attendance.

If PDGA tournaments were truly Trophy Only (no players packs), they could be like those Madeline Bertrand events (except for the PDGA membership part).
Yeah, the PDGA membership part is what scares off a lot of people in my experience. I've tried to get people to go to tourneys before but usually get the same response, "Oh, you gotta pay an extra $10 or pay $60/year? Yeah, no thanks." So even at a price point of $25 PDGA and $35 non-PDGA I would have a hard time convincing folks to go. I think there is mentality of gee I have to pay extra 'cause I'm not part of their exclusive club so I don't wanna go blah blah blah...

I thought the PDGA required some sort of player pack to be a certain percentage of the reg cost? Maybe not?

-Dave
Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

With a lot of events filling, some filling fast, and the annual growth in PDGA membership, the fee's not running off too many people, and I doubt it would if tournaments had a modest cost and were truly trophy-only.

As to the PDGA requirement, the answer's yes and no. No players pack is required for C-tiers; a $10 players pack is required for B-tiers. But, the PDGA requires that C-tiers pay back 85% of the entry fee (excluding a limited number of pass-through expenses), in some combination of players pack and/or prize payouts. 100% for B-tiers. To, say, run a C-tier with no players pack or merch payouts, just trophies, would require a waiver; unless it's for charity, or perhaps a fundraiser (and it would be labeled "XC-tier").

PDGA sanctioning means players can expect certain standards and procedures. Unfortunately for those of us who would prefer a $20-$25 entry, get-nothing-back, organized competition---if TDs would be willing to offer it, if enough other players would show up---this doesn't fit in well with those standards.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

.....perhaps one day the PDGA can come up with a new tier, T-Tier for Trophy Only, where the payout rules won't apply. Players will be forewarned, will know that all other PDGA standards are being upheld, and be able to look for lower entry fees by tier.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
.....perhaps one day the PDGA can come up with a new tier, T-Tier for Trophy Only, where the payout rules won't apply. Players will be forewarned, will know that all other PDGA standards are being upheld, and be able to look for lower entry fees by tier.
PDGA Leagues = L-tier
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
Just pay out the top 3 pros = lots more money for top pros.

This is a merica. Only the bests of the best should be rewards.
LOL, given that the number one way of getting rich in the US is to inherit money, the best of the best argument doesn't have much merit. Maybe winning events should be based on family status. My dad's powerful, therefore I should win?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
PDGA Leagues = L-tier
Yeah, but I'm thinking of a stand-alone event.

If you ran a stand-alone event as an L-tier, people would assume it's part of a series.

Though it is evidence that the PDGA can sanction something without a fixed payout structure.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
LOL, given that the number one way of getting rich in the US is to inherit money, the best of the best argument doesn't have much merit. Maybe winning events should be based on family status. My dad's powerful, therefore I should win?

Source?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
Disc golf is weird to me sometimes. In every other sport and competition I have been involved in as an adult (autocrossing, soccer and ultimate), you were competing for pride and a little trophy (maybe a small plastic cone, t-shirt, etc). Yet in disc golf, everyone needs these big awards of plastic and these players packs full of stuff that is never going to be used. Does no one else think this is a bit of a sad reflection of the sport that the thrill of competition isn't enough?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Some of it is this is what we've always done, but some of it is the sense of entitlement were building into our culture. I coached soccer for years. Every kid gets a trophy. I call them mouth breather trophies. Parents hate them, (most do) they've been shown to be ineffective as motivation, and they`re dumb to boot.

I played little league for years. Funny enough, my room is empty of trophies. I have three medals from winning running events. They actually mean something cause... I won.