Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Would you use a paid driving range?
Yes 8 6.11%
No 80 61.07%
Maybe, depends on execution 43 32.82%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 425 Times in 213 Posts

No. golf balls and golf discs are not apples to apples. It would be like having a ball golf driving range where you did not use your clubs.

I don't think the generic muscle memory argument holds water. It could do more harm than good.

Now, an existing disc golf retailer that has a range and a "tester" disc that has not been beat up from the various molds would be really cool! Even better would be several in each mold along the entire "beatness" spectrum. That would be disc golf shop utopia.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Would I use it? Yes. Will you make money on it? No. Unless you were throwing into a foam pit, or something that wouldnt cause the discs to wear. Maybe a body of water? I dont know how much damage that water causes to a disc at high speeds. Then you could have a giant net to retrieve all the discs at the end of the day.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atvizory2000 View Post
Would I use it? Yes. Will you make money on it? No. Unless you were throwing into a foam pit, or something that wouldnt cause the discs to wear. Maybe a body of water? I dont know how much damage that water causes to a disc at high speeds. Then you could have a giant net to retrieve all the discs at the end of the day.
a body of water is an interesting concept but the collection would be difficult
Old 02-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
No. golf balls and golf discs are not apples to apples. It would be like having a ball golf driving range where you did not use your clubs.

I don't think the generic muscle memory argument holds water. It could do more harm than good.

Now, an existing disc golf retailer that has a range and a "tester" disc that has not been beat up from the various molds would be really cool! Even better would be several in each mold along the entire "beatness" spectrum. That would be disc golf shop utopia.
As an avid "ball golfer" I couldn't agree more. golf balls don't get beat in and fly completely different from one another. Also I want so badly for a try before you buy situation to exist.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.5
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 328 Times in 183 Posts

So you would only get Wind in One Direction then?

Pass. Would only use that as a goof. i'm in a windy area and using wind as a part of practice is a huge deal.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 331 Times in 150 Posts

Convert a small section of a golf dome to be disc golf only - throwers can see most of the flight, easy to pick up discs for owner of dome and "crappy days" won't impact business.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 385 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaledge View Post
The market isn't big enough, the community as a whole is cheap, and the overhead will be to great. 10 tee pads at say $10 a piece is obviously $100 however say you give each person 50 discs for $10 and you buy each disc for $15, you're spending $740 a person in discs. Times 10 people that's $7400 in discs being thrown at a time, you would have to see 740 customers before you break even, and the disc will need to be replaced before you see 740 people. All of this is at hypothetical numbers, however people will want bang for their buck, my professional business opinion is that it isn't sustainable.
As far as the business model...

How many throws would a champ teebird be worth? I would hope that it would go at least 1000 throws on a flat field without ever hitting a tree. I would guess it would last much longer. Let's say I get each at $7 wholesale (I sure hope I could do better). That means a range stack of 100 costs me $.70 in replacement cost. Every penny over $.70 goes to pay for the other overhead, being mortgage, utility, and payroll. Let's say mortgage and utilities add up to ~$1,500 /month. Payroll is going to run me ~$3,000. Let's add in $500 incidentals to make a nice round $5,000 /mo to work with. Under these worst case scenario figures, I would need 39 stacks sold per day on a 7 days a week model before I start chipping into my capital outlay.

So yes, bad business in today's market. Ten years from now, who knows? You could easily lower payroll and negotiate lower discs costs, and pricing in my mind would be $5/50, $7/100, $10/200. Under optimal pricing, I could lower the required patronage to ~25 paid customers. And obviously there will be concessions in the shack.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,891 Times in 1,420 Posts

Too many schoolyards near me that I can throw on for free, and throw my own discs. I've used a rangefinder to get distances on some of them, so I have that, also.

The only benefit that there might be for me would be to try discs I haven't tried before. So disc rental for that purpose might work.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 385 Times in 213 Posts

Question for the "never" guys; how much time do you generally have for a field session?

I usually have about 30 minutes. That means about time for two times down and back on a field, if I book it. I could easily throw 100 discs at a range in that time without the running in between sucking my legs out.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,938 Times in 1,328 Posts

I'm the worst target customer for this. First, because I don't throw far enough that walking to my discs is a chore. Second, because my old arm won't throw enough consecutive drives to make it worthwhile.

But it would work better if, instead of stock discs, you let me throw my own, and had a teenager with a go-cart buzzing around the range, scooping up discs and returning them to the tee boxes. I could throw a bunch, and chill a few minutes waiting for their return.

Niced: (1)