Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

I have to say, if there ever was a longer teebird, the volt is it.

There are so many great speed 9ish discs out there, but the volt, the pd, the valkyrie and the olf have got to be the best in class.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 372 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I'm not saying 160-range Plasma Volts don't exist but MVP only offers the Plasma Volt in 170+ ...which doesn't even mean 170g. I usually only see them around 174-175g. I hope that helps. But hey, you can always hunt them down in the used/ebay market and pay a ton for them.
Justin, thanks for the info, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.

I have no interest in rare discs. At all. If I yank a drive into the poison ivy, I want to walk away with no regrets grab, another disc from the trunk, and eventually order a stack of readily-available replacements.

Looks like I'll just keep throwing Fission Volts into trees and see how they develop. They did fly rather nicely last weekend, and I expect they will only get better as the discs season and I learn their properties.

I did like the idea of Plasma Volts being on the glidier, less beefy end of the Volt spectrum. Oh well.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 96 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Justin, thanks for the info, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.

I have no interest in rare discs. At all. If I yank a drive into the poison ivy, I want to walk away with no regrets grab, another disc from the trunk, and eventually order a stack of readily-available replacements.

Looks like I'll just keep throwing Fission Volts into trees and see how they develop. They did fly rather nicely last weekend, and I expect they will only get better as the discs season and I learn their properties.

I did like the idea of Plasma Volts being on the glidier, less beefy end of the Volt spectrum. Oh well.
Plamas are definitely less beefy than new Neutron, Protons, and heavier weight Fission. It is possible to find sub-170g but harder to find. The lightest I have found is a 168. The ones with the most turn are FR Volts and the soon to be released Electron Volts. The Electron Volts are fantastic and hold a similar line to well seasoned FR Volts. They might be what you are looking for once they are released.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 69
Niced 94 Times in 64 Posts

For me, personally, the Plasma is the Volt that the Volt always wanted to be.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
If you would not mind I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for checking!
Sorry been gone all day i will check 8n a bit. Also have this one for sale on ebay that is cheap right now. I wonder how if its more common with FR foils.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 372 Times in 176 Posts

Found some 169 Plasma Volts at Discs Unlimited. They still have a couple left after my order. I will be very interested to see how these fly.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 68 Times in 51 Posts

after reading this, i think i need to try a plasma volt. i have a neutron (173) and fission (167) i had a proton telsa (which was a volt.. let's be honest) but didnt like it. the electron volt is pretty good new, but i just didn't jive with it after a few throws.

still looking for my max d driver. maybe this is my answer?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 69
Niced 94 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
after reading this, i think i need to try a plasma volt. maybe this is my answer?
I say go for it. It's a great mold in a great plastic.

For me, and I think I'm an outlier on this (because some guys say that in Plasma it's close to the early runs,) it's not THAT different from a newer N, for example. At least, stability-wise. Mine doesn't really turn at HS at all, it may drift some if I really lean into it. I'd say it flies more like a seasoned up newer run. It really kind of reminds me of an awesome Eclipse that I had nice and beat in, before I lost it to a watery grave at Trophy Lakes a while back. It has a much longer glide phase, especially at my powered down Ds, which puts it say right at 300, and muted fade.

So, as it gets more beat (mines in that 7-8ish/10 stage,) the Plasma might start showing some noticeable flip, I don't know, whereas these super flat/high PLH later runs in N never really do.

I just really love the feel of it in Plasma. It has just enough flex for me. Not as flexy as some of the runs of N that approach "soft." In fact, oddly maybe, I think this Plasma Volt is a bit stiffer than the other drivers I've more recently gotten in Plasma (Photon, Wave.) I don't know, maybe the narrower rim = a bit more density in the flight plate.

Anyway, any Volt person needs to try it in Plasma, IMO.

Last edited by Toro71; 04-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

My form has felt weird all spring since throwing with boots etc in the snow so decided to take out 6 volts and 4 ions to the local DGC... Plasma x2 neutron eclipse and proton x2 one very old from release. Shots just over 300ish with basket(cone) at around 280-90 range. Volt is a volt as you can see. These all are max wt flat tops. Even the pink 6-7/10 proton isnt any less HSS.

I love throwing the volt on distance flex lines too as it will fly such a tight helix they just crush. Sometimes i seriously consider only throwing volts/relays/ions. But new **** is fun.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,469 Times in 858 Posts

^^Can vouch that beat pink proton flies like a dream, even into headwind.

You should take the volts to bethel a day with some mad tailwind and throw whatever hole you threw that electron of mine on. A video of that proves the gyro.

(Or maybe its better most dont know the secret...)