Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 354
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 66 Times in 41 Posts

I have 344 marked played on here in 35 states plus I know of 12 other cpurses not listed here so I have over 350 total.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 354
Niced 66 Times in 41 Posts

I have 344 marked on here as being played in 35 states plus I know of 12 courses for myself not listed here so over 350 total.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 369
Niced 650 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I don't review courses that I didn't get to play the whole thing. The reasoning is the same as my reasoning for bagging what are thought to be crummy courses: my favorite shot in the world may be there, regardless of how horrid the rest of the course is.

If I don't play a full course, I may miss that golden shot (or two or three), which may completely change how I feel about the course...or at least partially change my thoughts on it.
I echo that. I have never reviewed a course that I didn't play the whole thing. There have been I couple times where i got poured mid round and thought "why does it have to rain now!" only to be back a few months later to finish it up. It addition, a few of my favorite shots have also come on some pretty crummy courses.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,183 Times in 1,024 Posts

Well I've played vicariously through Valkyrie Kid so that should substantially increase my courses played.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,938 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
My question may not have been clear, but what I'm wondering is, if the DGCR review requirement is playing a minimum of 5 holes on a nine holer 10 holes on an 18 hole course, what is the minimum # of holes necessary to mark the course as played ?
I doubt DGCR has any interest in refereeing these largely personal claims. They're like ace claims. What constitutes playing a course---what constitutes an actual course, for that matter---is largely up to the user. A couple of years ago there was a guy claiming to have played 2800 courses; besides the astounding number, the ones he checked on DGCR led many to have serious doubts about his claims. But he can still make them. There are no payouts to the top finishers, so not much to fight over.

I check off courses where I played enough to have an idea of the course---a much lower threshold than a review. I do it for myself, just to keep track of courses I've visited, and not for anyone else. Of course, with my modest list, no one else would care.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 390
Niced 18 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I doubt DGCR has any interest in refereeing these largely personal claims...
Exactly! Tracking courses played is a personal thing in that it's for your own benefit, no one else's.

There is one 18 hole course I only played 9 or 10 holes of on a road trip many years ago. I do hope to finish it up one day but the courses I've marked as played is 100% so I can review what I have or haven't played and look at things like what my current most-played state is. My course count is not something that anyone else should have an opinion about.

Having played "lots" of courses does not equal being a better player, just a happier one because I hate replaying courses when there are still new-to-me courses to be explored.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 1048
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
I echo that. I have never reviewed a course that I didn't play the whole thing. There have been I couple times where i got poured mid round and thought "why does it have to rain now!" only to be back a few months later to finish it up. It addition, a few of my favorite shots have also come on some pretty crummy courses.
You Complete Me!

Niced: (1)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 1048
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I doubt DGCR has any interest in refereeing these largely personal claims. They're like ace claims. What constitutes playing a course---what constitutes an actual course, for that matter---is largely up to the user. A couple of years ago there was a guy claiming to have played 2800 courses; besides the astounding number, the ones he checked on DGCR led many to have serious doubts about his claims. But he can still make them. There are no payouts to the top finishers, so not much to fight over.

I check off courses where I played enough to have an idea of the course---a much lower threshold than a review. I do it for myself, just to keep track of courses I've visited, and not for anyone else. Of course, with my modest list, no one else would care.
You have your own criteria . . . and it seems so does everyone else who plays a lot of courses . . . so do we each all listen to our own hearts and go with our own totals or do we have the guts to compare them to each others lists and have to scrutinize each course for hours based on a number of criteria decided by 2 individuals instead of some impartial entity?

Avery and I are both approaching 1000 courses (50 or so left to go for each of us) and we both wanted to try to play our 1000th together like a handful of those in the past have done . . . the problem . . . while we have never verified anyone else's list as to what constitutes a course . . . now we need to define that for our 1000th . . . but how can I compare my list to his list without some sort of criteria . . . I have no problem defining the criteria and cross referencing courses with him to make sure what we agree on what constitutes a course played . . . but then I also look at it like this . . . why can't all courses just be courses. Did anyone else prior to Avery and myself take that into account when they played their 1000th? I am not questioning anyone's integrity . . . just wondering what counted for them and what didn't . . . because as of right now I have a handful of what DGCR determines to be "Practice Areas" instead of courses. I am not arguing the differentiation as I travel a lot and would like to know if it is an actual course or just definition. I also know Gregg Hossfeld and Avery do not see eye to eye when it comes to old (or target) courses . . . Gregg has played dozens . . . maybe . . .hundreds of courses when target courses were the standard so i think those should count for his total . . . but maybe not mine since I came along after the target course era. At what point were target courses extinct or no longer the standard? I have played a few . . that have also upgraded to baskets . . so I still would count them . . . but which ones do I leave off my list?

I have no problem putting forward my thoughts on what defines a new course but even still it will never be 100% with anyone elses list. There will always be a question about one course or another on someones list or someones rules may not be the same. How do we define this?

SO DO we each come up with our own list . . . and treat them independently . . or do we consult all those who have crossed the 1000th course threshold in the past to determine if and when we have then subsequently crossed the barrier?

While I would love for a set of criteria agreed upon by all those who have passed 1000 . . . it seems far fetched to think that will come as I know of a few who do not agree with each other.

I hate hashtags but this whole discussion about what constitutes a course seems frivolous #toomuchtimeonmyhands #firstworlddiscgolfproblems
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 AM
* Ace Member *

I'm not sure how much it matters. If you and Avery meet to play your 1000th, does it really matter if, by your standards, he's only playing his 991st? He's meeting his landmark goal, you're meeting your landmark goal, you can share your experience together.

Which doesn't mean it's not worth discussion. In the exchange of ideas, perhaps you'll change your opinion on how you wish to construct your own list. Perhaps someone will have an idea that you're happier using for yourself Or vice versa.

The 1000-course club is small enough that you guys could, if you wish, agree on criteria among yourself. Most members have enough margin on their list that any changes wouldn't bump them out.

Even if a standard is agreed upon, it's an honor system. No one's verifying that the members actually played those courses, or played them completely, or the extinct and temp tournament courses.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

But here's another issue for list-makers: Overlapping layouts.

A few courses have overlapping layouts, sometimes significantly different.

* At what point do they constitute separate courses?

* If they don't, can you say you've played the entire course if you've only played one of the layouts?