Old 09-14-2018, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 327 Times in 168 Posts

Things dgers do, but why: Listen to music with earbuds because it helps them concentrate, but expect other players to be able to concentrate while having to notify them for everything
Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2018, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 652 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I know a few guys, usually players who are not quite as good as they think they are, who will quit or want you to think they quit, if they are in danger of losing a round. They suddenly have to quit after nine holes or they start throwing rollers or other out of character shots to try to show that they were just goofing around the whole time and not really trying to put together a solid round. Some people have such fragile egos.
Sometimes, if I am really sucky, I'll throw those "out of character shots " just to get away from myself and to perhaps learn something. But I don't think I'm better than I am, I know I suck.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Sometimes, if I am really sucky, I'll throw those "out of character shots " just to get away from myself and to perhaps learn something. But I don't think I'm better than I am, I know I suck.

I get that people do that. That's not the case with the guys I'm talking about. These guys are serious as a judge when the round starts but turn it into a joke round when they are losing. They are not willing to let you think you beat them. They quit before that can happen.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 652 Times in 317 Posts

Well in that case, you know what to do..
Old 09-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 64
Niced 75 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Players who use DGCR to record thousands of courses played yet never leave a single review in 11 years of use....WTF? It's disc golf course review, not Disc golf courses i've played, give a little back fer gawds sake. (Yep, I just found the members stats pages for the first time and shocked to see how many people just use this as a course bagging record without ever helping other players make a choice of where to play. Play it, review it, or at least review some of them!!
I admit I'm not a big reviewer, mostly because I personally don't rely at all on previous reviews; disc golf course, restaurants, movies, etc. There's too much subjective stuff on individual bases that to me make reviews purposeless to read. However, I do realize there are others that think differently, and that's fantastic.

I would strongly argue that there are other ways to increase available information on each course page to help others decide to play. For example, if a course doesn't have many pictures, I will go to that course and post as many useful photos as possible.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 309 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
I get that people do that. That's not the case with the guys I'm talking about. These guys are serious as a judge when the round starts but turn it into a joke round when they are losing. They are not willing to let you think you beat them. They quit before that can happen.

Or, similarly, when folks walk up to putts in the 10-15' range and try a putt with style points:
> Opposite hand
> Under the leg
> Around the back
> Two at once
> Etc.
So, when they miss the conversation was, "it was a gimmie, I was just messing around" but then you play a tournament or league round with them and they routinely miss putts from the same distance.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

I've wanted to do that (say it was a gimme) but you just can't. People should not call their own gimmes. It's awkward.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post

Speaking of odd things;
Came upon a group last week drinking and smoking away on a bench. They let us go through, but one of them had a stroller with their 4-5 year old daughter in it. Future pole dancer perhaps?
a guy i played a lot of golf with in the 90's used to bring his toddler son out in a stroller. when someone walked up him and started talking the toddler would start coughing. i asked the guy if maybe he shouldn't be dragging him around in the woods if he was getting sick, to which he replied "he isn't sick, he's trying to communicate". i must have looked like i didn't understand so he continued, "you know when we all meet here and everyone is smoking and laughing and coughing, he's just trying to fit in". i have never forgotten that lesson. kids are watching ALL the time.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 27 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Yeah, I don't let that fly in my groups. If someone paces it out, I count with them and make sure they get to at least 11 (I suggest 12 just to be sure) before they declare themselves outside the circle. Also have to watch to be sure they're taking full, 3-foot-ish strides. Sometimes the terrain forces a short stride or two to step over/around an obstacle and you have to be aware of that as you count.

You should actually be looking for 14 steps for men, 16 for women to be safely outside the putting circle!
https://livehealthy.chron.com/averag...ngth-7494.html

Old 09-14-2018, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
But they know. They know.