Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 262
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Perhaps we see media companies with exclusive manufacturer sponsorships.

That would dictate which tournaments they can cover.

Or maybe that wouldn't work.
Didn't this happen with Murder Mike? It seems like he was doing general DG coverage and then got "picked up" by Prodigy to cover their players.

"Prodigy Disc" still has a YouTube channel but I have no idea if this is still Murder Mike or not.

Or I could be absolutely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 119 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
Didn't this happen with Murder Mike? It seems like he was doing general DG coverage and then got "picked up" by Prodigy to cover their players.

"Prodigy Disc" still has a YouTube channel but I have no idea if this is still Murder Mike or not.

Or I could be absolutely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!!
That was Marty McGee. McFlySoHigh
Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 262
Niced 162 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
That was Marty McGee. McFlySoHigh
So close...

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,360 Times in 323 Posts

The logistics of each media team is different. Most of our teams are primarily powered by Patreon. That is a fluctuating value depending on how many people are donating and their number of creations each month.

Every situation is going to be different. Who are the pros showing up? How many rounds? Can they have their own sponsors? There is no hard and fast rule.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,252 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizbee View Post
I definitely see this as a much different scenario than the DGWT launch and to me it looks like DGPT is trying to move towards a more DGWT-ish model, where most if not all content comes out under the DGPT banner (I think we agree on that?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this: weren't DGWT and SpinTV both under the Innova/Discmania umbrella of companies and therefore corporate partners (or associates) of a sort before DGWT launched?
Thanks for chiming in Allen - always good to hear from you!

So, the short answer is "yes" to asking about partners/sharing an umbrella. My attempt at subtly suggesting that was the use of quotes for "agreed".

But it's not so much that there weren't boundaries. Spin18 is/was the production company responsible for the DGWT, owned formerly by Jussi and a business partner, but now solely by Jussi.

Jussi reached into his other bag of brands to bring along DiscGolfPark, Discmania, and SpinTV...adding those relevant components.

Jussi then inked deals with Innova and Grip Eq, though I don't think he'd mind me sharing that he did reach out to other brands as well.

PS - don't read into the use of Russ Hanneman as a proxy for Jussi. The two are nothing alike, I just love that show and thought the joke was appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Perhaps we see media companies with exclusive manufacturer sponsorships.

That would dictate which tournaments they can cover.

Or maybe that wouldn't work.
I'd say that SpinTV was the best case study for this. Prodigy did in-house McFlySoHigh, but the channel never really caught traction.

For the last few years, in concert with the increased efforts from CCDG and Jomez covering the tour more, we focused our coverage efforts on events that [Innova, Innova Europe, Discmania, DGWT] either ran or put significant investment behind (LVC aka GCC, Masters Cup, USDGC, European Open, European Masters, Konopiste, European Championships, etc.).

It became cheaper to outsource and purchase ads on those other channels for the other events, rather than to absorb the cost of in-housing everything.

3 years ago I did think of that as the way of the future, but we've shifted into a new era. It's the era of the content creator, and I think that the general public has spoken - it would rather co-fund and co-support the creators alongside the manufacturers/brands, rather than support a flow through model...

[ Audience $ ] ---> [Creators] <--- [Sponsor Support]

rather than

[ Audience $ ] ---> [Business, Potential Sponsors] ---> [Creators]

Last edited by JTacoma03; 11-19-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 132 Times in 35 Posts

I think that in the long run the model will/should be the media paying the league to broadcast/do media...it is the model in pretty much every other sport...

The media doesn't work for the sport, it is its own business...which yields it's profits from advertisers and subscribers...

By both the media and the league/tour being independent and negotiating deals, they both are motivated to put the best product out there...

The question is how to balance the income generated by the media with payments the media makes to the league/tour so that everyone comes out in the red...and that the fans get the best media with well run tournaments and generous purses...

My thoughts anyway...

Niced: (4)

Last edited by toddnick; 11-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 132 Times in 35 Posts

I think I meant "in the black" rather than "in the red", I'm not a finance guy...I meant that both parties end up ahead...

Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 6 Times in 2 Posts

So.. I've wanted to ask this question for a while, and almost started a thread some time ago... Whatever happened to McFlysoHigh? He was the best cameraman and had 4k when ccdg maybe just started to have 720 videos. I know he went to prodigy, but last year i'm pretty sure that stuff coming out didnt look like his work at all. If Marty couldn't make it, what hope is it for the rest of these filming crews? And where did PHP go? Dude made some great vids as well. Its a shame when business and friends are wrapped up together because it rarely seems to end up well. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this production crews v. DGPT Tour plays out.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 447 Times in 202 Posts

I wonder if there's been any push back from the 2019 DGPT Tournament TDs.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,252 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WautownRob View Post
So.. I've wanted to ask this question for a while, and almost started a thread some time ago... Whatever happened to McFlysoHigh? He was the best cameraman and had 4k when ccdg maybe just started to have 720 videos. I know he went to prodigy, but last year i'm pretty sure that stuff coming out didnt look like his work at all. If Marty couldn't make it, what hope is it for the rest of these filming crews? And where did PHP go? Dude made some great vids as well. Its a shame when business and friends are wrapped up together because it rarely seems to end up well. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this production crews v. DGPT Tour plays out.
I'll take Jomez's and CCDG's crews every single day over that guy. Personally and professionally.

What happened was better products came into the market and pushed inferior products out. Capitalism baby.

EDIT: Talking about McFly. PHP (Paavo) is a good dude.

Last edited by JTacoma03; 11-19-2018 at 11:29 PM.