Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 22 Posts

Took out the star sonics out today along side some other Dx ones in low to no wind. Very very happy with the flight and feel.

Molded up the same as Dx, felt identical in the hand. Rings felt the same. Height in the center was slightly taller.
Star feels like star, nothing much to say about the feel of the plastic other than having the expected premium feel/grip. I like it. Feels tough? Don't notice a difference too much with the rings.

Flight was also similar, if not the same. Nothing bad to say about it, very pleased. The Dx were 175+, stars were 175 as well. Stars might've been a hair more stable but if it's there it's negligible. Same glidey disc, great on low power, holds straight till the ground

Low power holds straight, with anny holds it the same as Dx.
Higher power with hyzer, flipped up and rode straight or drifted right till the ground. Forehands flip up and glide.

I couldn't tell a difference in flight. So if the rings don't split as easily because of the star this is best case scenario. If I get some time I'll post a video. Here are some pics along last year's dx.

http://imgur.com/a/Z8YLgxC
Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 205 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyman621 View Post
Took out the star sonics out today along side some other Dx ones in low to no wind. Very very happy with the flight and feel.

Molded up the same as Dx, felt identical in the hand. Rings felt the same. Height in the center was slightly taller.
Star feels like star, nothing much to say about the feel of the plastic other than having the expected premium feel/grip. I like it. Feels tough? Don't notice a difference too much with the rings.

Flight was also similar, if not the same. Nothing bad to say about it, very pleased. The Dx were 175+, stars were 175 as well. Stars might've been a hair more stable but if it's there it's negligible. Same glidey disc, great on low power, holds straight till the ground

Low power holds straight, with anny holds it the same as Dx.
Higher power with hyzer, flipped up and rode straight or drifted right till the ground. Forehands flip up and glide.

I couldn't tell a difference in flight. So if the rings don't split as easily because of the star this is best case scenario. If I get some time I'll post a video. Here are some pics along last year's dx.

http://imgur.com/a/Z8YLgxC
That’s a great looking sonic, thanks for the review! I’m sure if these molded up to be glideless bricks GG probably wouldnt even bag them himself. Glad to hear they remain about the same.

Might have to check one of these bad boys out now...

Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
That’s a great looking sonic, thanks for the review! I’m sure if these molded up to be glideless bricks GG probably wouldnt even bag them himself. Glad to hear they remain about the same.

Might have to check one of these bad boys out now...
Hurry they only have 44, 22 purple 22 green in stock.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,811 Times in 2,017 Posts

Gurthie is definitely using the TS sonics, so he must like the way they fly. Threw a monster sky anhy and nailed a long putt with one in the front9 of the final round at Nick Hyde.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 894 Times in 517 Posts

My GG Star is a brick. . my first two throws hit the ground after 50feet, feelt like throwing a putter upside down.

Need to take it out again and give it another try
Old 07-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 653 Times in 323 Posts

Finally cracked the last of my DX Sonics from last year. Broke down and bought two GG Master's Cup Star Sonics to replace them. They seem to have a touch less glide, and are maybe slightly more stable. Feel better in the hand though.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,921 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Finally cracked the last of my DX Sonics from last year. Broke down and bought two GG Master's Cup Star Sonics to replace them. They seem to have a touch less glide, and are maybe slightly more stable. Feel better in the hand though.
Star plastic does tend to be that way vs. DX plastic. Hopefully your Star Sonic(s) will season in quickly to perfection for you.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 653 Times in 323 Posts

Update: finally got to toss the GG Master's Cup Star Sonics extensively yesterday. Was throwing mine around after league yesterday with a 991-rated pro and an Ultimate player. Its definitely more stable than the DX ones, though that makes it much easier to control for 150'+ throws. I'd probably prefer the DX for running long putts though. Most importantly, it didn't crack when one of them overthrew me and the Sonic smashed into the side of a building. Just left a scuff on the rim, no indication of failure around the rings.

The Ultimate player loved it, BTW. Said it flew a lot like an Ultimate disc. He was even able to flick it smoothly without turning it over. Said it would be the best beginner disc he's ever seen for transitioning Ultimate players.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 894 Times in 517 Posts

This is one odd disc. . i bought a Star GG one a few months back and i did not like it at all.

But after i started playing catch as warm up a few weeks back i brought the SONIC and started just throwing it as a catch disc.

Today i gave it another go at the course and this time it worked much better. . . on my first throw i put it inside the circle on a 75m hole and took a birdie. . . for me that max out a driver at 100m to throw the SONIC 70m is just insane

This disc can hit lines no other disc can

Niced: (2)

Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
This is one odd disc. . i bought a Star GG one a few months back and i did not like it at all.

But after i started playing catch as warm up a few weeks back i brought the SONIC and started just throwing it as a catch disc.

Today i gave it another go at the course and this time it worked much better. . . on my first throw i put it inside the circle on a 75m hole and took a birdie. . . for me that max out a driver at 100m to throw the SONIC 70m is just insane

This disc can hit lines no other disc can
Sonic can hit those lines no other disc can because the disc is the most Catch/Ultimate like of the true Disc Golf molds outside of some lid molds in very light weights or the large diameter Zephyr.