Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 458 Times in 310 Posts
Default Return from the Grave: The Flash

Since there are no threads with discussion in the last 3 years, I thought I'd raise this conversation from the grave.

The Flash is quite an old mold - release 15 years ago last week. In my early days in the game, this was a favorite of mine. However, with lower production numbers of the mold and so many molds flooding the market over the last 15 years, the Flash fell out of favor.

However, Discraft has released some new runs of Swirly ESP Flashes and I must say, they are fantastic! The flight ratings seem a bit squirrely, with a listed -2/3 (turn/fade), however, with a bit of field work and one round of using this as a main driver, I've fallen in love all over.

The smaller rim and ESP plastic feel absolutely great in the hand. The flight is nearly identical to my beat in S-PDs - my current go-to distance driver with an aging body and lower arm speed than I could muster in my youth. On a flat release, the Flash will drift to the right quite a bit, flatten out, and hook up with a respectable left finish and mild skip. (RHBH - 350-375' of max power) However, where I found this disc to shine was on woods shots that needed a straight flight with forward fade. Released with a touch of hyzer, the Flash easily stands up and rides straight, finishing with a gentle push back to the left. The fade is less pronounced than my PDs, which can tend to drop as they lose speed and fall to the ground as they fade - whereas the Flash held the air underneath it a bit better.

Overall, I am extremely happy to be reacquainted with this mold and am happy to see more being released. I'll likely be rotating some in with the PDs to see who can hold the main driving slot. Has anyone else been giving this old throwback some love?
Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

I bagged a Z Flash years ago. I liked it, and I felt like it flew like a flippier Orc or a Beast. The Flash would definitely turn on flat throws, and would flip all the way over if you weren't careful. I'd get them out to about 400' fairly consistently. Flashes were always flat and never had dome. Occasionally you'd run into one that was a brick. Super overstable with no glide.

Good mold, but I wouldn't have much need of it in today's game. The Tern has the same stability, but goes about 40' further easily.

The Flash was (and still is) a good mold, but it kind of fell into the gutter as other, faster drivers started coming out. I threw the Flash back when speed 10 were the fastest drivers out.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 85
Niced 233 Times in 117 Posts

Flash replaced the Wraith for me and was my primary distance driver for years. I used to carry 4. A freak overstable flat Z, two fresh ESP’s that were very straight flyers, and a first-run ESP that was predictably flippy.

When I came back to competitive play in 2015 or so, I found that I was leaving some distance on the table. Needed to go up to Destroyers/Outlaws to keep up.

Now the Flash is sort of a tweener driver for me. I prefer to go speed 12/13 for max distance and speed 9/10 for more control. Speed 11 is a weird middle ground where it’s a little too fast for max control, and not fast enough for max D.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 141 Times in 99 Posts

threw a flash as my main bh driver about 10 years ago. lost interest in it as i mover to throwing 160 class for my drivers and lighter flashes were hard to find. if the new ones go down around 165 i will pick up a couple.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,891 Times in 1,420 Posts

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was the DC Comica character Barry Allen (The Flash) returning from his 'death' in Crisis On Infinite Earths.

And speaking of speed, glad to see the DG Flash returning to disc golf bags and courses everywhere...

Niced: (2)
Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Couple more rounds with the new ESP Flash and I'm thinking I'll keep both the PD and Flash in the bag, but pull my super beat in PD in favor of the Flash.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 37
Niced 225 Times in 135 Posts

I switched from beasts, when they changed them to flashes. When flash went oop and the beast was good again I switched back. Very comparable discs, imo. Except for the almost puddle top fly dye flash that flew more like a crush.
I may have to try these out.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 528 Times in 390 Posts

I s the WILDCAT!! Thinner rim, zippy, long straight flight. yeah good times

Old 04-26-2019, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I s the WILDCAT!! Thinner rim, zippy, long straight flight. yeah good times
Oh man. I still have an old X-Wildcat that was the most ridiculous hyzerflip to turnover disc I've ever owned. It's actually the disc I learned how to hyzerflip with 10+ years ago. Thing makes a bitchin' roller now.

Niced: (1)