Old 05-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 64 Times in 45 Posts
Thumbs up

A purdy looking, silver hued and decently domed 168g plasma driver caught my eye in the store: MVP Wave.

Seems like a perfect match for my 330’ish throwing ability, easily the longest disc I’ve thrown I think.

Not too US either as I first feared, can give it my hardest and it wont roll over
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 115 Times in 69 Posts

This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. I've been throwing a max weight domey Proton as my main distance disc this winter because it bombs with minimal effort. Even with snow and ice underfoot this disc can get out there.

I would really like a more HSS version if anyone knows any plastic/color/run that ended up with a high parting line. I really wish the Photon had more glide because it just pales in comparison to the Wave. I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:34 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 120 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. I've been throwing a max weight domey Proton as my main distance disc this winter because it bombs with minimal effort. Even with snow and ice underfoot this disc can get out there.

I would really like a more HSS version if anyone knows any plastic/color/run that ended up with a high parting line. I really wish the Photon had more glide because it just pales in comparison to the Wave. I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.
I throw neutron waves and plan on trying a proton for shots that need I a little more resistance to turning over. That said, I tried a neutron defy 158ish grams and it felt glideless and too overstable for a max d disc. I have the same issue with photons. Both probably ok for a control driver but dissapointing compared to the wave for distance potential. Currently I throw a 158 gram star tern for a more stable compliment to the wave. That gets the job done but I prefer mvp plastic.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,204 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. . . .
Agreed. Apparently Neutron Wave in the mid-upper 150s has been my main distance driver since at least 2015 (I searched this thread).

Quote:
Hmm, good luck with your search. At my limited (300ish) distance, all of the more stable MVP drivers that I tried (Photon, Defy, Tesla, etc.) were considerably shorter than the Wave. Closest was probably a seasoned Proton Tesla in the low 150s.

Pro Wraith in the upper 150s works for me as a more-stable complement to the Wave. Pro Wraith has a little more HSS than the N Wave, but unlike the Wave (which can keep turning if mis-thrown), the Pro Wraith has a reliable late fade that often keeps me out of trouble.

Since you throw farther than me, have you considered something like a Star Wraith for your more HSS distance driver slot?

Old 01-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,377 Times in 1,731 Posts

Okay, all this talk about the Wave has caused me to take out my 155g Neutron Wave and put it in the bag for a round or two (or more). It's raining today so it may be tomorrow or next week before I can get out to the course, but I'm looking forward to revisiting this mold.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 39
Niced 707 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.
Sorry man, but I think you're going to be disappointed by the Defy. It's basically just a Photon in brighter colors.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Agreed. Apparently Neutron Wave in the mid-upper 150s has been my main distance driver since at least 2015 (I searched this thread).

Hmm, good luck with your search. At my limited (300ish) distance, all of the more stable MVP drivers that I tried (Photon, Defy, Tesla, etc.) were considerably shorter than the Wave. Closest was probably a seasoned Proton Tesla in the low 150s.

Pro Wraith in the upper 150s works for me as a more-stable complement to the Wave. Pro Wraith has a little more HSS than the N Wave, but unlike the Wave (which can keep turning if mis-thrown), the Pro Wraith has a reliable late fade that often keeps me out of trouble.

Since you throw farther than me, have you considered something like a Star Wraith for your more HSS distance driver slot?
I totally agree with this. I mix up drivers quite a bit and lately have been bagging all discs that "feel" like speed 11 although some are classified as Speed 12. In stability order, from OS to US, the discs in the rotation are:
C-line PDx > Star Wraith > Moonshine Trespass/Pro Wraith > Fuzion Trespass > Plasma Wave > Neutron Vanish.

I only bag 4 or 5 for any given day, but they all have a pretty similar feel (well...other than the PDx which feels like a total beefcake) and leave no stability gaps. There are a lot of good complements to the Wave with a similar hand feel; they just happen to be made by other manufacturers.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Okay, all this talk about the Wave has caused me to take out my 155g Neutron Wave and put it in the bag for a round or two (or more). It's raining today so it may be tomorrow or next week before I can get out to the course, but I'm looking forward to revisiting this mold.
Our high for the next few days is -4 including windchill. I'd love to have rainy weather right about now.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 171
Niced 2,586 Times in 1,198 Posts

I really like my Proton Defy but it's basically a S-DD. Not much glide, just consistently straight to fade. I use it more for a faster control driver than a distance driver. It just doesn't have the legs. Flat Proton Waves might be a good HSS complement to a domey Wave. Mine is a lot less squirrely than my domey Waves but again the glide is lacking.

I would maybe try a domey, lighter Wrath for a straighter Wave complement. I think they might hold HSS a little bit better than Photons but still have some decent glide.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,377 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Our high for the next few days is -4 including windchill. I'd love to have rainy weather right about now.
Anecdotes:

I see you are from Nebraska. On YouTube, there is a site called Virtual Railfan, which has cameras in a number of places in the United States that show railroad tracks so that people can see the trains that go through. One of those cams is in Kearney, Nebraska, and I've seen the snow and can hear the wind on the microphones. Kearney looks like a nice small town, but yes it looks cold.

I also once drove through Nebraska on I-80 in Winter, behind a truck salting the road with ice, and I was praying they didn't close the highway before I got to my hotel in Lexington, NE. I made it, and the trip to Omaha and through Iowa the next day was through a Winter Wonderland of almost pure white land. I'd love to visit Nebraska again, but perhaps in Summer...