Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Sorcerer with amateur photography included.

The Westside Sorcerer releases late tonight/tomorrow online so here's a few pictures and thoughts before you spend or choose not to spend.

Feels most similar to a Havoc for me so that's the profile comparison pic I chose to take.
Havoc is the pink opto, Sorcerer is the white VIP

Here's one of the rims from underneath.

Both are faster discs than I normally throw but I have them in the bag cause it gives you street cred to have big fast drivers, regardless of skill. Fact.

I've thrown the Sorcerer some and gathered some additional perspective with friends while playing the last two days who do use the uber fast stuff.

It's not overstable and I wouldn't call it truly understable. It's as close to the neutral definition of just stable as you can get with something so fast in my opinion. There is a bit of very late high speed understability if you are capable of 450+ throws and have good form but it doesn't have the same flight as the Havoc. For me the Havoc turns then has a lot of fade whereas the Sorcerer does good at staying stable during flight, little late bit of turn, then a very small amount of fade.

Not for use in headwinds, it'll flip and do so quite easily. It's not Giant or World overstable but it's not as likely to turn as a Trespass or Havoc from what I can tell and have experienced myself. The glide is the last thing I have to add and it's truly a 6 like the rating says. So far it stays aloft longer than any of the other drivers I've compared it to. A new contender to distance competitions for sure.

Here's another pic of mine just because it's an awesome opaque white VIP with black stamp.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Niced 1,072 Times in 499 Posts

I hate what I just read. I bag Havocs and thought I had my lineup set for spring.
Now you done gone blowed it up.

Ugh.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Was just going to start a Sorcerer thread and you beat me to it!

Got a red 176g VIP Sorcerer today at DD and once again I have to agree with most of what you say. I max out at around 425' but I was seeing just a bit of turn out of mine when thrown full-out like I did on #15 at Peter Pan, but otherwise I would agree that this is one straight/stable disc when brand new. It'll be interesting to see if that changes much once the flashing has worn off a bit.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Mold setup

Molds upper part is Westside World version 1.0, completed on 16 September 2013.

Molds lower part is Westside Sorcerer version 1.0, completed on 9 September 2013.

Molds and their copyrights are owned by Westside Golf Discs.

Shares the same top as the World and probably would pair really well with it. If I end up liking the World I think I will have to pick this up too.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualNewbie View Post
Was just going to start a Sorcerer thread and you beat me to it!

Got a red 176g VIP Sorcerer today at DD and once again I have to agree with most of what you say. I max out at around 425' but I was seeing just a bit of turn out of mine when thrown full-out like I did on #15 at Peter Pan, but otherwise I would agree that this is one straight/stable disc when brand new. It'll be interesting to see if that changes much once the flashing has worn off a bit.
Sounds like you had a worthwhile trip. Definitely some turn but I don't know if I'd say it's a 0 or -1 for a rating. Probably somewhere in the middle of that. I think they fly a little more stable in Finland at the altitude so their numbers are a little off to our's.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

Sounds like what the king was supposed to be!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts

According to the specs, the rim is a little on the shallow side, did you get that impression when you held the disc ?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

The closest comparison I see would be an Innova Krait. Sounds like the flight is very straight as well like a Krait. Both have near identical specs with the Krait having a slightly deeper rim, 1.2 to 1.1.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdiscs View Post
According to the specs, the rim is a little on the shallow side, did you get that impression when you held the disc ?

It feels a little more shallow than the havoc but less of a slanted plus mold style rim. It's not overly deep but it's comfortable for me to power grip easily. It's not like a mamba or anything that shallow.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
The closest comparison I see would be an Innova Krait. Sounds like the flight is very straight as well like a Krait. Both have near identical specs with the Krait having a slightly deeper rim, 1.2 to 1.1.
Interesting. I only had one Krait when they released and I tossed it in a pond but I didn't remember it being so fast or glidey. Spec wise though I'm sure you're right. I rarely look up the dimensions of things. I let my fingers do the talking. I might have been blind in a past life. I have convinced myself I can read braille. Can't though. Just bumps.