Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

I have said before that I think the coloring in the overmold makes for more apparent visual damage than the blacks. It is very possible that the coloring agents also soften the blend a bit but neutron plastic as a whole is a little softer than it used to be, so the OM also could be impacted in that way. The 2 plastics need to be the same in order to get the "chemical bond" which the MVP discs have between the core and overmold.

I can say my MVP distance drivers are taking a beating but don't have enough new axiom in the bag to really tell at this point. I've had some serious gashes out of older MVP discs and odd scuffs from hitting things and then also picked them up after smashing a tree and couldn't tell where it even hit'

I know my alias looks fine and nothing about my proton craves are any less durable really I just find its easier to see the damages in the rim b/c its pink.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 05-19-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,811 Times in 2,017 Posts

I got another pretty good scrap on my inertia Saturday. I didn't even notice it till yesterday. I was cleaning all my discs before a tourney(saturday was a mudbowl tourney, lol), and uncovered a road rash looking scuff. I guess it happened when I parked a hole that had some gravel around the basket. This time, it wasnt the overmold that took the beating. It was the rim part of the flight plate. Nothing that a fine grain sand paper wont fix. It still flies great though, even better maybe, lol. I may not even mess with it. I have whacked my resistor and switch on plenty of stuff and haven't noticed any damage to either of them maybe its just the DD's that I am unlucky with...?

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 05-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,054 Times in 537 Posts

Discs get damaged.

All the time.

My FR Volt and FR Amp have big gashes in them.

They fly awesome.

That's all that matters.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^ I like that my disc are beating up actually. I was not complaining. However, if the durability is less than that of other plastic, is it a crime to say so?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Niced 1,054 Times in 537 Posts

These types of posts are the MVP thread's version of "What is par," or "What do I do with a lost disc."
Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp0c View Post
^^ I like that my disc are beating up actually. I was not complaining. However, if the durability is less than that of other plastic, is it a crime to say so?
I would say no. I would also think that that type of information would be good to know.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:15 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp0c View Post
Yeah you are definitely not alone and found where Andy also brought this same thing up. I believe others here have mentioned similar stuff and am curious if the coloring agents really do impact durability. I have had many discs in the same plastic from multiple brands but some are "harder" than others just different color really. No crimes being committed lol its a discussion forum for discs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
On the overmold issue: I was having the same problem with my Neutron Envys. They beat up pretty fast, but the flight has not changed much, if it all. Maybe a little less fade..thats a big maybe. Still has that good high speed stability. So I wouldnt worry too much about it on the drivers. Maybe its not a change in blend but more of a side effecr of increased volume of production or something?

But yeah, nothing to worry about flight wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Andy-- I would admit I see this in the crave but am wondering if it actually has to do with the coloring and vs being black the apperace is much more rough but actually black MVP overmolds beat up just the same you don't notice it as much-- same with white ones on eclipse or the new tesla..

IMO its more cosmetic like due to stress and the coloration which gives it a beat up look ........ found both OM scratch/scuff as easy even my FR vector but the colored show much more impact and the newer neutron give a rougher look while the older scratches more.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The course I play the most atm is very rocky and wooded. I've been playing only one-disc rounds lately with my Eclipse Tangent and it has taken loots of hits. It's dinged and beat and so on, but I think the flight hasn't changed very much. Not sure if it's just my mind but maybe it's a slight bit more US than a fresh Tangent but nothing significant.

My experience is that the overmold part isn't very durable where as the flight plate is very much like champion durability. But well, let's not forget that the overmold/rim also takes the most damage from a hit normally.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
These types of posts are the MVP thread's version of "What is par," or "What do I do with a lost disc."
You are right bisky. In a MVP thread, everything that is said should point to the superiority of MVP. Questions like : "has the overmold change?" does not contribute at all do the discussion.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion is normally that the overmold does better for standard wear & tear than your average premium plastic, but worse when it comes to impacts against very hard or sharp surfaces like roads, rocks, basket rims, etc.

Lately, I'm not so sure. I plowed my Inertia into some jagged basalt with barely a scratch, but my wife put a good sized rash on one of my Craves just by hitting a tree (@ about 200-225 worth of power).
Closed Thread