Old 09-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzteC View Post
I found the Sampo to def be more OS than my boatman. Boatman flies like an understable destroyer, while the fluid sampos were more Thunderbird like.
I'm quite surprised by this comment, unless your Sampo was the Elasto one from the TC.

I got a new 173g VIP Sampo the other day and based on my limited experience, it is way less OS than Thunderbird, let alone PD or Boatman. Based on the first impression alone, I'd say it is actually closer to a Beast than any of the above.

I'm a bit confused by my experience, since all the talk has been about a truly OS driver. I think a lot has to do with the Elasto plastic being more OS but I'm also very interested to hear what people think about the new VIP production models.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 458 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Throw a Trident, or a Saint Pro, or a Sword. Or an XXX, or Riot, or Blitz, or a Sorcerer.

I think Saint, Stag, and most of their stuff is true now - maybe early runs were inconsistent, but I'm not seeing it with the discs I buy.
I have a Sword for my understable driver in my secondary bag. Still very understable with a late setting fade. I lost my Sorcerer on a betting hole because it flipped over and rode the anny straight into a lake. The XXX and Riot I have are quite overstable, which is nice, but I have discs for those slots that I prefer. The Saint Pro is much lower glide than the numbers indicate and still has a lot of turn in it. I have yet to try a Stag because, while the ratings appeal to a slot I love to test out and rotate discs in, my Trilogy experience leads me to think it will turn out understable and leave me regretting it. The Renegade is the perfect example. Fade of 2.5, but mine barely flattens out with a strong throw...

Sampo just holds a flex for 250' or so and comes back into a beautiful OS fade and skip for 325-350'. Like a slower D2 or a seasoned Avenger.

Last edited by Reniger; 09-27-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I'm quite surprised by this comment, unless your Sampo was the Elasto one from the TC.

I got a new 173g VIP Sampo the other day and based on my limited experience, it is way less OS than Thunderbird, let alone PD or Boatman. Based on the first impression alone, I'd say it is actually closer to a Beast than any of the above.

I'm a bit confused by my experience, since all the talk has been about a truly OS driver. I think a lot has to do with the Elasto plastic being more OS but I'm also very interested to hear what people think about the new VIP production models.
I'm talking about my Elasto. I wouldn't be surprised if the VIP is more understable though.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really liked the Sampo for forehands. The gummy plastic feels great in the hand. Just not sure it's worth keeping in the bag when I have two decently seasoned Felons I can use for forehands as well.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

So I got to test out my VIP Sampo at one of my local leagues. It flies a bit more understable than the fluid Sampos from the Trilogy Challenge. Not a ton of fade and a good amount of turn. Where the disc really shined where those hyzer flip to straight 350' shots. This was definitley something I need in my bag as my Felons tend a fade out a bit earlier, and Saints/Saint Pros had a little to much turn to them. I think I will be adding it to my bag for those super straight fairway shots. Thrown on an anny it holds almost the whole way, and only comes out if you really try to throw it hard and high turned over.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts

Sounds like a villain to me?
Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 6
Niced 88 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
Sounds like a villain to me?
The Villain is more overstable than any Sampo.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Spent some time with my VIP and Elasto Sampo yesterday comparing the two- huge difference in stability between them. I could use full power on the Elasto with little if any turn, and reliable fade. The VIP Sampo, with the same power, would turn hard- look like it was trying to fight out of the turn, but not quite make it and eat the dirt. It was a bit breezy yesterday, but still a very noticeable difference. Both discs are 173g.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Could one of you with both Elasto and VIP compare the profiles of the two?

This huge difference people are seeing makes me wonder if they tweaked the mold after the TC. Plastic shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Niced 458 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
Could one of you with both Elasto and VIP compare the profiles of the two?

This huge difference people are seeing makes me wonder if they tweaked the mold after the TC. Plastic shouldn't make that big of a difference.
The plastics are quite a huge difference. The Elasto is quite soft and gummy, the VIP is much firmer with slightly less grip.

You can see the difference plastic can make easily by examining Reptilian discs. A Gateway Wizard in Reptilian Fossil plastic will come up with a MUCH tighter shoulder than any of Gateway's "Soft" plastics, and as a result, the Reptilian plastic flies faster even from the same mold. Same with Reptilian's Fossil plastic Scales vs Armor plastic. The premium Armor plastic pops up more, making the disc overall a few MM smaller, and having a dome which leads to more glide and a little more overstability.

Back to the Sampo! The Elasto is very straight along the rim, but then pops up as soon as you come ot the flight plate. The VIP is the same height overall, but the contour is very smooth with no "pop top." The VIP mold feels very similar, just in firmer plastic, but the flight is quite different. I can throw the Elasto on a hard anhyzer and get a long flexing shot for about 340', or create great spike hyzers that hold a beautiful OS line. My first throw with the VIP, it didn't turn and burn, but there is definitely more turn. Thrown flat, I get about the same flight as the Elasto, without having to push the anhyzer, making a much easier throw with less effort. Honestly, the flight is different enough that I could see some people bagging both if they like the mold just because of how much different play you can get out of both. I would compare them as follows; Elasto: 10, 6, .5, 2.5 - VIP: 10, 6, -1, 2.

The VIP will still fight out of an anhyzer almost as well as Elasto and still has plenty of overstability, but is a bit more shapeable. I enjoy both and we'll see which gets the permanent spot in my bag after a few more rounds.

Cheers.