#261  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 PM
dwayne.hoffman's Avatar
dwayne.hoffman dwayne.hoffman is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 117
Niced 41 Times in 19 Posts
Default

So on Monday I threw the Thrasher, Heat, Undertaker and Avenger SS in earnest. All are the same weights roughly (164-166g). I'm a MA40 player with not so great distance numbers.

The Heat I have are in Z FLX and in Ti. The Ti one is stable and holds well into a left to right wind. The Z FLX seems to fly a little slow; am thinking a Z or ESP maybe that uptick faster that I want. The Avenger SS is everything people say it is. Easy to get good distance, and in X, it stands up and goes straight and is outflying the Heat.

The Undertaker is overstable, wow, even in X.

The Thrasher though...I finally found my bomber. Took a 165g Big-Z and sent it 325' on a hyzerflip that flew a beautiful S-curve. However, I can flip this mold over if I am not careful. Definitely was throwing all three with hyzer to get it to stand up.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by dwayne.hoffman; 01-23-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

The Avenger SS, Heat and Undertaker I really enjoy throwing and bag them, but the Thrasher had to come out. I got a Val Jenkins ESP and found it to just turn over too easily for what I was wanting. I wanted a big turning disc, but the Avenger SS or Undertaker fill that spot for me.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,034
Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
The Avenger SS, Heat and Undertaker I really enjoy throwing and bag them, but the Thrasher had to come out. I got a Val Jenkins ESP and found it to just turn over too easily for what I was wanting. I wanted a big turning disc, but the Avenger SS or Undertaker fill that spot for me.
Thrashers are really finicky. I've thrown 2. 1 was perfect S curves. The other turned over almost every time I threw it. Very hard disc to throw and keep in the air. You need a perfect amount of hyzer on it.

A good Thrasher will bomb, but a bad one is a liability.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:06 PM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Thrashers are really finicky. I've thrown 2. 1 was perfect S curves. The other turned over almost every time I threw it. Very hard disc to throw and keep in the air. You need a perfect amount of hyzer on it.

A good Thrasher will bomb, but a bad one is a liability.
I'll bag it again and play with it some more, I'm easily turned off from discs that are that finicky usually but if I can figure it out and get it to work for big wide open shots I may re-bag it.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,034
Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
I'll bag it again and play with it some more, I'm easily turned off from discs that are that finicky usually but if I can figure it out and get it to work for big wide open shots I may re-bag it.
For me the Thrasher is like a Surge, but somewhat flippier and with better glide. I can easily get better distance with the Thrasher, but the Surge is way easier to throw hard without flipping it into eternity.

I bag a Surge. I don't bag a Thrasher.

One thing I will say is that the Thrasher will give you every possible foot of distance. The disc is easy to throw and goes deceptively far for its speed. Well, easy to throw far that is. Accuracy, not so much.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,382
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Looking for my best bet at a stable bomber Thrasher - I used to throw Terns and it was easy to find a pop topped jolly launcher Tern at about 165g that could pair with flippier discs from that mold.

All the thrashers I have tried in premium plastic so far have been flat and flippy. I'm not looking for beef per se, I just want one with massive glide and good stability that that end of the spectrum. I picked up a domey X thrasher and it flew the way I wanted, but it's of course wearing in pretty quickly. Will add another one to the rotation but want premium plastic that will stay that way.

Anyway, is a domey Thrasher with a decent PLH the way to go here? This mold seems incredibly flat in premium plastic so far; I've never seen quite such a variety of plastics from different sources all so flat on a driver mold like this.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 16,342
Niced 1,255 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Wish I'd seen this post sooner. I actually stopped bagging Thrashers because I like the flippy ones, and the only ones I could get were the "overstable" ones. Most of mine were actually on the flatter side (gradual but very gentle dome - none were FAF).

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,650
Niced 1,911 Times in 1,432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Looking for my best bet at a stable bomber Thrasher - I used to throw Terns and it was easy to find a pop topped jolly launcher Tern at about 165g that could pair with flippier discs from that mold.

All the thrashers I have tried in premium plastic so far have been flat and flippy. I'm not looking for beef per se, I just want one with massive glide and good stability that that end of the spectrum. I picked up a domey X thrasher and it flew the way I wanted, but it's of course wearing in pretty quickly. Will add another one to the rotation but want premium plastic that will stay that way.

Anyway, is a domey Thrasher with a decent PLH the way to go here? This mold seems incredibly flat in premium plastic so far; I've never seen quite such a variety of plastics from different sources all so flat on a driver mold like this.
I have two Z Thrashers, one in the 160s, and a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher at near max weight. They're about the same PLH, but the regular Thrasher is a bit domier than the Val Thrasher. The Val disc was a bit more OS fresh-out-of-the-box, and I originally attributed that to the weight difference.

TL;DR: Try a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,382
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Wish I'd seen this post sooner. I actually stopped bagging Thrashers because I like the flippy ones, and the only ones I could get were the "overstable" ones. Most of mine were actually on the flatter side (gradual but very gentle dome - none were FAF).
Weird, I guess I've become too used to Innova mold particularities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have two Z Thrashers, one in the 160s, and a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher at near max weight. They're about the same PLH, but the regular Thrasher is a bit domier than the Val Thrasher. The Val disc was a bit more OS fresh-out-of-the-box, and I originally attributed that to the weight difference.

TL;DR: Try a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher.
Would love to, thanks.
Reply With Quote
 

  #270  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 PM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,551
Niced 355 Times in 265 Posts
Default

My Thrasher that I just traded for saved my multiple strokes yesterday in tournament play, and helped me move up from 15th to tied for 4th. Both my birdies came on holes where I threw the Thrasher, including one where I'd never birdied before. Absolutely amazing mold.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegade vs. Thrasher PMantle Discs 4 02-21-2018 03:35 PM
Bowling Green Player Pack Items - Thrasher, Machete, DGPT Socks, Dry Fits Radwyn The Marketplace 2 04-27-2017 08:39 PM
Z Crank for Z Thrasher RomServo The Marketplace 5 12-09-2016 08:20 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.