Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Par Member

Niced 41 Times in 19 Posts

So on Monday I threw the Thrasher, Heat, Undertaker and Avenger SS in earnest. All are the same weights roughly (164-166g). I'm a MA40 player with not so great distance numbers.

The Heat I have are in Z FLX and in Ti. The Ti one is stable and holds well into a left to right wind. The Z FLX seems to fly a little slow; am thinking a Z or ESP maybe that uptick faster that I want. The Avenger SS is everything people say it is. Easy to get good distance, and in X, it stands up and goes straight and is outflying the Heat.

The Undertaker is overstable, wow, even in X.

The Thrasher though...I finally found my bomber. Took a 165g Big-Z and sent it 325' on a hyzerflip that flew a beautiful S-curve. However, I can flip this mold over if I am not careful. Definitely was throwing all three with hyzer to get it to stand up.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by dwayne.hoffman; 01-23-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

The Avenger SS, Heat and Undertaker I really enjoy throwing and bag them, but the Thrasher had to come out. I got a Val Jenkins ESP and found it to just turn over too easily for what I was wanting. I wanted a big turning disc, but the Avenger SS or Undertaker fill that spot for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
The Avenger SS, Heat and Undertaker I really enjoy throwing and bag them, but the Thrasher had to come out. I got a Val Jenkins ESP and found it to just turn over too easily for what I was wanting. I wanted a big turning disc, but the Avenger SS or Undertaker fill that spot for me.
Thrashers are really finicky. I've thrown 2. 1 was perfect S curves. The other turned over almost every time I threw it. Very hard disc to throw and keep in the air. You need a perfect amount of hyzer on it.

A good Thrasher will bomb, but a bad one is a liability.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Thrashers are really finicky. I've thrown 2. 1 was perfect S curves. The other turned over almost every time I threw it. Very hard disc to throw and keep in the air. You need a perfect amount of hyzer on it.

A good Thrasher will bomb, but a bad one is a liability.
I'll bag it again and play with it some more, I'm easily turned off from discs that are that finicky usually but if I can figure it out and get it to work for big wide open shots I may re-bag it.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
I'll bag it again and play with it some more, I'm easily turned off from discs that are that finicky usually but if I can figure it out and get it to work for big wide open shots I may re-bag it.
For me the Thrasher is like a Surge, but somewhat flippier and with better glide. I can easily get better distance with the Thrasher, but the Surge is way easier to throw hard without flipping it into eternity.

I bag a Surge. I don't bag a Thrasher.

One thing I will say is that the Thrasher will give you every possible foot of distance. The disc is easy to throw and goes deceptively far for its speed. Well, easy to throw far that is. Accuracy, not so much.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts

Looking for my best bet at a stable bomber Thrasher - I used to throw Terns and it was easy to find a pop topped jolly launcher Tern at about 165g that could pair with flippier discs from that mold.

All the thrashers I have tried in premium plastic so far have been flat and flippy. I'm not looking for beef per se, I just want one with massive glide and good stability that that end of the spectrum. I picked up a domey X thrasher and it flew the way I wanted, but it's of course wearing in pretty quickly. Will add another one to the rotation but want premium plastic that will stay that way.

Anyway, is a domey Thrasher with a decent PLH the way to go here? This mold seems incredibly flat in premium plastic so far; I've never seen quite such a variety of plastics from different sources all so flat on a driver mold like this.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,255 Times in 629 Posts

Wish I'd seen this post sooner. I actually stopped bagging Thrashers because I like the flippy ones, and the only ones I could get were the "overstable" ones. Most of mine were actually on the flatter side (gradual but very gentle dome - none were FAF).

Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,911 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Looking for my best bet at a stable bomber Thrasher - I used to throw Terns and it was easy to find a pop topped jolly launcher Tern at about 165g that could pair with flippier discs from that mold.

All the thrashers I have tried in premium plastic so far have been flat and flippy. I'm not looking for beef per se, I just want one with massive glide and good stability that that end of the spectrum. I picked up a domey X thrasher and it flew the way I wanted, but it's of course wearing in pretty quickly. Will add another one to the rotation but want premium plastic that will stay that way.

Anyway, is a domey Thrasher with a decent PLH the way to go here? This mold seems incredibly flat in premium plastic so far; I've never seen quite such a variety of plastics from different sources all so flat on a driver mold like this.
I have two Z Thrashers, one in the 160s, and a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher at near max weight. They're about the same PLH, but the regular Thrasher is a bit domier than the Val Thrasher. The Val disc was a bit more OS fresh-out-of-the-box, and I originally attributed that to the weight difference.

TL;DR: Try a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Wish I'd seen this post sooner. I actually stopped bagging Thrashers because I like the flippy ones, and the only ones I could get were the "overstable" ones. Most of mine were actually on the flatter side (gradual but very gentle dome - none were FAF).
Weird, I guess I've become too used to Innova mold particularities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have two Z Thrashers, one in the 160s, and a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher at near max weight. They're about the same PLH, but the regular Thrasher is a bit domier than the Val Thrasher. The Val disc was a bit more OS fresh-out-of-the-box, and I originally attributed that to the weight difference.

TL;DR: Try a Valarie Jenkins Thrasher.
Would love to, thanks.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 355 Times in 265 Posts

My Thrasher that I just traded for saved my multiple strokes yesterday in tournament play, and helped me move up from 15th to tied for 4th. Both my birdies came on holes where I threw the Thrasher, including one where I'd never birdied before. Absolutely amazing mold.