Old 02-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I think a Valk will be more flippy than I want, all things equal. I have a lightweight Beast I use for distance and turnover shots, great for that but tough to control for straight upwind shots.

Maybe this Viking can fill the wind/Firebird spot I've been thinking about, lol
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
Maybe this Viking can fill the wind/Firebird spot I've been thinking about, lol
could be, but with a bit more glide. i think one thing i always forget to do is to actually try the discs out for awhile. If it doesn't work how i was planning the first few times, its gotta go lol, but then later on as i get better, i usually go, "oh crap, if only i had that disc now, maybe i'd understand it better"

keep using it in the spots that work currently and it could end up being one of your go-to's soon
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 25 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-it View Post
Is that champ Viking flat-topped with freakishly high PLH by chance?
My thoughts exactly. I've got one of those overstable pigs myself. I was experimenting with the Viking a long time ago, had one that was a nice flyer, but it was kind of transparent peach, I think. I tried one in neon green, and it was a completely different disc, basically like a Firebird. It was indeed flat topped, and I'm sure it had a high PLH too.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Yeah, I've seen Vikings vary a lot. Might be safer to just go with a Valkyrie...if you can deal with the poor glide.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Birdie Member

Hmm. Maybe I should just try out a Saint for that spot. By the numbers it's the same disc with more glide. I wonder how they do in the wind
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,442 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
Hmm. Maybe I should just try out a Saint for that spot. By the numbers it's the same disc with more glide. I wonder how they do in the wind
Saint, Valk, and Sidewinder are all going to be in a similar realm. Saints do glide a lot but so do the others...Lat64 bulks up their numbers to make discs look better on paper in comparison. Saint is a good disc but no longer flying than a Sidewinder.

I'd actually recommend an S-line FD for your arm speed and wants. It will be laser straight, complement your Teebird well, and fly more forgiving like a fairway driver rather than those other discs that will fade a bit more if not thrown hard. With power and beating in it will show more turn, but is very long flying.

Last edited by slowplastic; 02-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Birdie Member

Have you thrown a latitude River? Do you know how it compares to the FD in real life? The FD sounds great, but no one in town carries Discmania, I could order on line.
Or I could go down to my local shop and grab a River. I have thrown a heavier one. It flew straight and seemed to have pretty good D for how poorly I was throwing it, at 175g it didn't seem like I was quite getting it up to speed. I did get it out to 280-290' max effort, flew pretty straight and felt like it would be a good disc at 16x.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,442 Times in 1,556 Posts

I have thrown a heavy Opto River a ton, and have thrown a few Goldlines. The River is interesting, I feel like if you are throwing it near 300', like you are, then you will see a little turn/drift and good glide, with a fade back. The thing with the River is that the harder you throw it (at least with my Opto) it will always have a similar turn and always want to fade back at the end. It will always do an S-flight for me with good glide. I feel like for 280-330' throwers it's a great disc if you have clean form...really good glidey distance. The goldlines I have tried (not large sample size) were less stable and actually flew understable lines for me. Keep in mind I typically throw fairways in the 350' range.

The S-FD I feel is straighter in general, with a wiggle type of flight, more laser beam like initially. Once beat in I feel like it holds the turnover a bit longer, and with higher power it will turn a bit more (where my Opto River will be more finicky if you mess up but is more likely to maintain its fade)...not that the controlled turnover of the FD is unpredictable at all if you know it's happening.

They are very similar discs, I feel like the S-FD is less finicky and a better disc for me. But you've thrown the River and liked it, and like I said for ~280-330' smooth throwers it's very glidey distance. They are similar, you'd like them both. The C-FD is more overstable and likely not what you are wanting at the moment for this position, and I have not thrown the G-FD but apparently it's more flippy, so I'd recommend S-FD or River then...both are more controllable than the speed 9 class of Saint/Valk/Sidewinder which all need to be flying 300'+ every time to fly consistently IMO.

Last edited by slowplastic; 02-14-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Birdie Member

Thanks for taking he time!

Right now I'm throwing a lightweight beast and dragon for max D and turnover, depending on the wind and a Blizzard destroyer for headwind and hyzer shots. They all max around 310-320' or so.
Maybe it's time to disc down a bit and work on form to get more D? Maybe focus on a lighter river and my teebird for a while? Any advice?
It's hard to know the best way foreword...

Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 640 Times in 505 Posts

Innova is molding all their discs SUPER overstable lately. Not sure why, but its becoming a vexing problem. ALL their new stuff flies like crap.