Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,445 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
Thanks for taking he time!

Right now I'm throwing a lightweight beast and dragon for max D and turnover, depending on the wind and a Blizzard destroyer for headwind and hyzer shots. They all max around 310-320' or so.
Maybe it's time to disc down a bit and work on form to get more D? Maybe focus on a lighter river and my teebird for a while? Any advice?
It's hard to know the best way foreword...
No problem, happy to help when I can tell people do their own reading especially.

Keep throwing the discs you are, they all teach you different things. Flippy stuff like the Beast will make you keep your angles clean and have long turning flights. The Blizzard Destroyer will keep you used to wide rims and nose angle sensitive discs (fast discs will get really picky if you throw them nose up). You're throwing far enough that those discs will "fly" for you...even if they may not be kicked fully up to speed or overpowered, you're throwing them far enough to make use of them.

Definitely throw the Teebird a lot, and if it's beefy just let it do its thing...don't try to force it and instead use it for fading or hyzer shots, and in wind. With Rivers I've heard they are very weight dependent...lighter ones are less stable and heavier ones are straighter (not the case in a 10 gram or so range with Innova IMO, with Innova plastic and PLH are most telling and don't always relate to weight). Whichever River you get it will be usable for your power. They go far too, I've thrown them 400'...although I'd never count on executing that shot for myself haha.

But definitely that speed 7ish range with Teebird and River are good for your arm speed. I think that once your fairways are 325' or so that's when you've kind of hit that next level and you'll be able to throw the speed 9ish Sidewinders and Valks consistently farther and on distance driver like lines, but they are forgiving enough at that power to be very controllable. Of course fast discs have their place with low ceilings/wind/skips so keep throwing them to get used to them.

It's never bad to have a few speed 7-9 discs with turn in them so you can practice your angles...fast enough that they go far, but slow enough that they really glide and also tell you if you yank them because they'll turn over badly. My biggest advice is know what the disc wants to do and don't force it (if it's overstable don't try to anhyzer it like crazy for distance, and if it's understable and flipping then don't ignore it, and clean up your throw).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
No problem, happy to help when I can tell people do their own reading especially.

Keep throwing the discs you are, they all teach you different things. Flippy stuff like the Beast will make you keep your angles clean and have long turning flights. The Blizzard Destroyer will keep you used to wide rims and nose angle sensitive discs (fast discs will get really picky if you throw them nose up). You're throwing far enough that those discs will "fly" for you...even if they may not be kicked fully up to speed or overpowered, you're throwing them far enough to make use of them.

Definitely throw the Teebird a lot, and if it's beefy just let it do its thing...don't try to force it and instead use it for fading or hyzer shots, and in wind. With Rivers I've heard they are very weight dependent...lighter ones are less stable and heavier ones are straighter (not the case in a 10 gram or so range with Innova IMO, with Innova plastic and PLH are most telling and don't always relate to weight). Whichever River you get it will be usable for your power. They go far too, I've thrown them 400'...although I'd never count on executing that shot for myself haha.

But definitely that speed 7ish range with Teebird and River are good for your arm speed. I think that once your fairways are 325' or so that's when you've kind of hit that next level and you'll be able to throw the speed 9ish Sidewinders and Valks consistently farther and on distance driver like lines, but they are forgiving enough at that power to be very controllable. Of course fast discs have their place with low ceilings/wind/skips so keep throwing them to get used to them.

It's never bad to have a few speed 7-9 discs with turn in them so you can practice your angles...fast enough that they go far, but slow enough that they really glide and also tell you if you yank them because they'll turn over badly. My biggest advice is know what the disc wants to do and don't force it (if it's overstable don't try to anhyzer it like crazy for distance, and if it's understable and flipping then don't ignore it, and clean up your throw).
This is hugely helpful, I appreciate it.

My teebird is beefy, and I struggle trying to flex it, I'll stop trying to fight it. It just seems perfect for flexing right around something ... but I often have it leave my hand early when I try that. So it stays in my bag more often...
The beast is fickle with nose angle and turn and burn, but very rewarding when I get it right. And the nose angle has helped with my other discs for sure.
For now I think I'll try to find a lighter River that I can handle a bit more easily, and save this one for once my arm gets stronger(along with that wraith and now Viking). At 175 the River seems to be very stable/straight with a bit of fade at the end, as long as it's thrown well, it seems particularly sensitive to OAT.

And I'll keep my eyes open for an s-line FD.

Very nice to have some solid direction for progression, instead of second guessing myself, again, thanks for all your help. Now off to the course
Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Sounds like the right idea. By all means use the flex shot when that's the line you want to throw...what I was warning about is being stubborn and trying to throw your Teebird straight by only throwing flex shots. Accept that it's overstable and get a less stable disc for straight throws (which is exactly what you're doing).

I find it's best to think of disc "slots" rather than models. So your Teebird for you might be my Firebird for me. Use it for wind, spikes, hyzers, skips, etc. Eventually it'll beat in and you'll throw harder, and you'll use it like lots of people use their Teebirds, for straight shots (keep in mind some Teebirds are just overstable to start with). I have many discs in my bag that started out way too OS for anything but tricky situations and now they are some of my favourite straight power throwers, because I kept using them for skips and spikes until they broke in.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Local selection is a little light this time of year, no rivers to be found. I did find a couple of lighter saints and the guys let me take them for a spin. The domey pink 164 flew a lot like my heavy River, seemed just a touch sleeker/faster and a little more HSS, definitely a bit more LSS.
The yellow 157 is lower profile and seems to fit the bill perfectly. Straight as an arrow with very mild fade, I was grip locking it a bit but I'm hoping that will sort out with a few more reps. I think it will have a nice range, seemed to stay pretty straight at lower speeds and I was pumping it out around 300' off the tee, nearly as long as my turn over drivers but with a lot more accuracy and less skill needed trying to get the right amount of turn
Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 453 Times in 277 Posts

I got myself a 175g Champion Viking a couple of months ago because I liked the idea of a Valkyrie OS type disc. The one I got was a decent dome on it and was very OS. Much more than the flight numbers imply. I would rate it at 9/4/0/2.5. It was hard for me to get an s-curve flight on a forehand. Kind of like a Champion Thunderbird except I with a more comfortable shape. After a while I just couldn't find a place for it in my bag because I have enough OS drivers as it its.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations.

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I got myself a 175g Champion Viking a couple of months ago because I liked the idea of a Valkyrie OS type disc. The one I got was a decent dome on it and was very OS. Much more than the flight numbers imply. I would rate it at 9/4/0/2.5. It was hard for me to get an s-curve flight on a forehand. Kind of like a Champion Thunderbird except I with a more comfortable shape. After a while I just couldn't find a place for it in my bag because I have enough OS drivers as it its.
Completely agree. I bought a few champ XXL stamped Valks a few months back that were basically thunderbirds.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

So I did order an FD a month or so ago. Very interesting disc. You were spot on about it being a good disc for my arm speed. I can throw it as far as anything when I get a good rip on it. I do have some trouble getting it to do what I want though, sometimes it's laser straight with almost no fade at the finish and other times I get more of a swing at the end. I think I need to play with it more to get more consistent... love it in the wind though, especially a cross wind. I did a 3 disc round with this as my only driver and it helped a lot with release/control.

Also grabbed a lighter weight saint, I love this disc for everything but strong headwind shots. It shapes nice lines and is very long. My only beef is that it doesn't always come back on a turn over or flex as soon as I'd like, it's a little touchy, I may grab a second heavier one for this. I tried a friends 168 and I think it flew even further for me and a touch more stable.

Considering adding in a stingray to start playing with rollers more. Any advice on this?

Also thinking about an eagle for for OS shot shaping that fits my arm speed, any thoughts there?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,903 Times in 1,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
Considering adding in a stingray to start playing with rollers more. Any advice on this?
For a midrange roller, I recommend a Champion Panther. They are great roller discs, forehand and backhand, and my Panther is my go-to roller (usually for getting out of trouble).

I rolled my Panther over 350 feet on flat ground, and the ONLY reason it stopped was because it hit some playground equipment. Considering I cannot throw any disc in the air 350 feet on flat ground (yet), it was a lot of fun to roll the Panther that far. (Other rolls by the Panther have gotten 300+ ft. several times.)
Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 AM
* Ace Member *

I haven't thrown any of those mids and don't really use backhand rollers (I need to practice them...have only really done them with drivers)...so I can't really help you there. It seems like lots of pro's tend to use their beat up mids rather than an entirely different disc or mold, so I'd lean toward getting something that you would like the flight of as well as rolling ability....but then again I like my discs to be multi-use (BH, FH, potentially trick shots too), rather than a specific situation only.

Saints are definitely in that same type of category as the FD but I feel like they are a speed or power requirement up. I also agree they are a little touchy, sometimes they don't fade like you expect but because of that they can fly some incredibly long straight-ish lines. Like cruise on a slightly downhill tunnel for a very long ways. I threw a Saint for a while and it did this for me after beating in for about a month, but I found for every amazing shot like that it had at least another that it would flip more than I expected, or fade out too much. I went back to speed 7 range fairways and it's just easier for me to control them and not worry about powering them down. But the Saint is definitely capable of some great shots. I actually find it similar to Sidewinders, depending on their stability. The FD I feel can be powered down easier than the Saint and still fly straight without much fade risk.

I also don't have much Eagle experience...have only tried fresh champ ones that were glideless, and I know they aren't all like that. Teebirds work for me, every single one I've thrown, so I have leaned towards stable Teebirds and then bump up to Firebirds for bigger hyzers. I've heard Eagles shape shots well, whereas Teebirds tend to hold the release angle. I tend to like discs that hold angles so that's why I tend to use Teebirds, but that doesn't mean Eagles aren't necessarily good. On paper it sounds like a good estimate of what you want.

Last edited by slowplastic; 04-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Missed my edit window:

What about Gstar Thunderbirds? They have a sweeping fade still, but the HSS is more mellow than the champs in my experience. They should hold lines a bit longer than champs and show some turn easier. I haven't thrown one for a while but I definitely remember them having some pop up, and more distance than the fresh champ Eagles I have tried. I could see it as being a good stable-overstable complement to a Saint type of disc, but it won't go as far unless you are pushing them 350'+ I would imagine. Overstable discs just won't go as far unless you bump up the speed to make up for it, or can throw pretty hard.