Old 05-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

So, Ive gone through this thread and seems like a lot of gold in here. I have issues with keeping my trailing leg 90 from the target in the x step. Messed around a little from a standstill and one step. Loaded my rear leg, by keeping the weight on the inside of the foot. Started from a standstill doing this. reached back, and there is significant pressure that feels like being coiled up. when i attempt the swing, everything uncoils going forward like a loaded spring. from a standstill and later, the one step, I was getting good power with minimal effort. I throw a 300ft tunnel shot on the side of my yard with putters for practice and I was getting the putters about as far as when i did the xstep. Very promising. Now, anytime I try to do even a walking xstep, I cannot get that same coil, and for the life of me, my body does not like to keep that trail foot at a 90 when in motion, lol. I hope that the keeping the weight on the inside of the foot is the basis here. really feel like a spring doing it this way. One question, when doing the one step, should I feel like I squat down first, then pull through, or is it more of a fluid motion. I feel the tension and it seems like I have a base to pull against, like the door frame drill
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

You can angle the rear foot like 120 degrees, just don't angle it completely backwards. With the X-step you'll be gliding over the foot a little because your momentum will carry you targetward, you just have to direct it underneath/behind you. I don't feel that same load back/tension as in a standstill but I definitely try to direct the momentum from behind while turning back and into the plant.

I don't know what to say about the squat then pull vs. fluid motion...to me it feels like a shift and everything goes without a pause but I also don't have elite/high level power.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bit of a breakthrough today during field work. I've been getting to the point where I stride past the disc and the reach back happens naturally then the disc flings out as my weight pushes into the brace, but I was having problems adding any power to this feeling. Was getting decent distance and very accurate shots out from my putters so I wasnt too worried about it. Today I tried throwing some drivers and was pretty obvious I was leaking power somewhere as everything relatively stable was just turning to the left and if I tried to put more power into it I would go back to old habits. After some throws I realized that I was letting go of this pushing feeling in my back leg when the reach back started and when I continued to push during the reach back until the point when the disc starts moving forward I was getting alot more power into the shot and there was also no way to pull the disc early doing this. Hope this helps someone

Last edited by nsp1; 06-11-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually feels kinda stupid now that I think about it because that is exactly what door frame drill videos are about and I've been watching them quite alot lately and still been missing it when doing an actual throw. Also getting HUB's polevaulter reference now as that is exactly how it feels.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Haha yeah that's exactly why I made this thread...I felt stupid for not doing it right even though it was in all the videos too. So I figured others probably had the same issue. Glad it is working, that sounds like a good way to think about it (continuing to push with rear leg while reaching back).
Old 06-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

If it were easy to translate information into action/feeling, no one would have invented drills. This forum would be one post long. And we'd all throw 500'.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 153 Times in 106 Posts

So a little late to this party here, but I was messing around with this move earlier indoors, slow-mo walk through style, and I feel like I may have unlocked a piece of the puzzle, or maybe I haven't, which is why I'm asking.

Anyways, when going into the backswing and striding the plant foot forward, it seems if I split the toe-down and heel-down portions of the plant into two separate events, once the toes are down, then I can simultaneously put the heel down while turning back what feels like mostly my shoulders but also my hips. It sort of feels like - "stride plant leg forward while backswing is happening, OK toes are down, OK let's plant the heel down (crush the can?) and get turned back even further." It's like that little extra bit of "reachback" is equal and opposite with the heel coming down. Maybe this is what SW means when he says "keep turning back further into the plant"? Also, if this is on the right track, it re-defines what I always heard about timing the peak of the "reachback" with the heel down.

Does this beer-influenced rambling sound like I'm on to anything here or am I missing something? It seems like a pretty simple move once you've done it, just one I haven't discovered or tried before.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf67 View Post
So, Ive gone through this thread and seems like a lot of gold in here. I have issues with keeping my trailing leg 90 from the target in the x step. Messed around a little from a standstill and one step. Loaded my rear leg, by keeping the weight on the inside of the foot. Started from a standstill doing this. reached back, and there is significant pressure that feels like being coiled up. when i attempt the swing, everything uncoils going forward like a loaded spring. from a standstill and later, the one step, I was getting good power with minimal effort. I throw a 300ft tunnel shot on the side of my yard with putters for practice and I was getting the putters about as far as when i did the xstep. Very promising. Now, anytime I try to do even a walking xstep, I cannot get that same coil, and for the life of me, my body does not like to keep that trail foot at a 90 when in motion, lol. I hope that the keeping the weight on the inside of the foot is the basis here. really feel like a spring doing it this way. One question, when doing the one step, should I feel like I squat down first, then pull through, or is it more of a fluid motion. I feel the tension and it seems like I have a base to pull against, like the door frame drill

Man, this is me all day. I actually sat around, and would load myself into that door frame position and I could fire 300' US putter shots on ropes. The most powerful ejections and uncoiling feeling I have ever had.

X step? Cant get that feeling. Kind of brinster hop? Cant get that feeling. I can throw distance drivers 400'+ but I have to put everything into it. Where my body is dead tire after the round. I know that proper weigth shift is how people just drop 400'+ throws with no effort and I really would like to get to that point.

Since Im already moving forward, I have no way to really catch that weight on the inside of my back foot and then leverage against it. So I can never slow == smooth on a distance shot, I have to really put momentum into my brace. I really wish I could somehow catch that feeling in my X step.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Lately I haven't been feeling like I'm "catching" the weight on the inside of the rear foot, which before felt like I had to do in order to "load the rear foot/instep" type of thing during the X-step. Instead I'm striding forward balanced and turning back in the shift from behind manner, it feels less loaded but more balanced. If you are moving forward in the X-step, you won't feel that same amount of tension/load into the rear foot because you aren't turning backwards into a planted back leg/hip. But you still shift from behind, which lets you turn back late and balanced (as the front heel comes down), and if you drive off the rear instep (look up SW22's gas pedal/swivel chair video) while turned to shift from behind, everything works the same way but feels less strenuous.

Also you don't need to have your rear foot 90 degrees, have it 120-135 degrees from the target. So you can push off the instep with the toes being the last thing to leave the ground...but not so turned back that you do the heel push/straight leg thing that zaps all the potential drive.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 315 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
Kind of brinster hop? Cant get that feeling. I can throw distance
drivers 400'+ but I have to put everything into it. Where my body is dead tire after the round. I know that proper weigth shift is how people just drop 400'+ throws with no effort and I really would like to get to that point.

Since Im already moving forward, I have no way to really catch that weight on the inside of my back foot and then leverage against it. So I can never slow == smooth on a distance shot, I have to really put momentum into my brace. I really wish I could somehow catch that feeling in my X step.
With your hop, have you tried a more up and down rhythmic motion rather than a forward moving hop? Not trying to insult, just asking. To me, that can almost feel like the doorframe stand still that you are having success with, yet with the aid of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

Also you don't need to have your rear foot 90 degrees, have it 120-135 degrees from the target. So you can push off the instep with the toes being the last thing to leave the ground...but not so turned back that you do the heel push/straight leg thing that zaps all the potential drive.
Not sure this will add a ton conversation and to slowplastic's post but the 120-135^ also allows you to load or sit your left cheek deeper AND it makes it more natural/easier to brace or plant with front foot closed, which it seems all of us AMs fail to do & trust... yet it seems to be one of the keys to more effortless throws.