Old 10-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,889 Times in 1,419 Posts
Default Deputy vs. Pure

Can anyone who has tried both the Deputy and the Pure compare and contrast them? Any comment appreciated, but I'd especially like hearing putting comparisons. TIA for any and all replies.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 51 Times in 42 Posts

I have been using a retro Pure for my outside the circle glidey putter, Just got 2 deputies to compete for that spot, so far the Pure wins for me, seems more controllable, and I like the feel of it better- but the deputies seem solid for the US putter slot

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I haven’t thrown a pure.

I really like the deputy for putting and is a great US/hyzerflip putter. Really glidey for putting duty, takes some practice to not miss high/long I found.

My only beef was that in the given plastic it seemed to stand up and roll more than I liked on long approach putts and basket/low putts. Which led me to the wizard as my main putter, I can get exactly the plastic I want for given situations.
I’d give it another go if they released it in premium.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 343 Times in 162 Posts

I have a Zero Hard and an Opto Pure as well as a Deputy from a Trilogy Challenge. Here's my experience with them:

Putting-wise, if you like to putt on line drives, I think the Pure is better. If you like to glide putts into the basket, or have a slower speed/less powerful putt, I think the Deputy is better. If I have to putt from an an awkward stance that doesn't let me generate much power, I'd rather use a Deputy. For putting, I prefer the hand feel of the Deputy over the Pure. Overall I like the Deputy more than the Pure for putting.

At the TC where I played, the Deputy was an understable thrower right out of the box. The Pure has a straighter flight; the Opto is really satisfying to throw. The Deputy is a more touchy disc.

Overall I prefer the Deputy for putting but the Pure for driving.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 131 Times in 92 Posts

Deputy is understable, Pure is neutral. I find the Pure more more consistent and controllable, Deputy is touchy on driving shots. I strongly prefer the Spike for hyzerflips than a Deputy.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
I have a Zero Hard and an Opto Pure as well as a Deputy from a Trilogy Challenge. Here's my experience with them:

Putting-wise, if you like to putt on line drives, I think the Pure is better. If you like to glide putts into the basket, or have a slower speed/less powerful putt, I think the Deputy is better. If I have to putt from an an awkward stance that doesn't let me generate much power, I'd rather use a Deputy. For putting, I prefer the hand feel of the Deputy over the Pure. Overall I like the Deputy more than the Pure for putting.

At the TC where I played, the Deputy was an understable thrower right out of the box. The Pure has a straighter flight; the Opto is really satisfying to throw. The Deputy is a more touchy disc.

Overall I prefer the Deputy for putting but the Pure for driving.
Just got my Deputys in, and I agree with the above. Deputy is a great putter, but straight-to-understable right out of the box on throws for distance. Deputy for putting, Pure for driving...

Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 234 Times in 153 Posts

How would Deputy compare to Swan2? They seem to be flying the shelves at DGCenter.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
How would Deputy compare to Swan2? They seem to be flying the shelves at DGCenter.
I've never tried any of the Swan family of discs. I decided to hold off and wait for the Deputy. Hopefully someone with Swan experience can chime in, here...
Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 234 Times in 153 Posts

Well, I've been throwing Swan 2s for years - it is understable, great for short annys, nice for putting as well. It has the same depth as a Pure, or a Shield, which are the other putters I throw. Deputy looks to be slightly deeper (1.5 vs. 1.4), but the flight charts look very similar to the Swan 2. Just wonder what all the excitement is about.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 59
Niced 124 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Can anyone who has tried both the Deputy and the Pure compare and contrast them? Any comment appreciated, but I'd especially like hearing putting comparisons. TIA for any and all replies.
I've thrown both and see the Pure as a neutral flier and the Deputy as understable. The Pure holds any angle you put it on and rides that line. The Deputy with 100'+ power is going to flip/turnover/roll.

I tested the Pure against the Judge 5 years ago and they flew similar lines. The Pure has a mini buzzz feel while the Judge has a shallower BB Aviar/Wizard/Ion/ feel. The Judge one out for me because I was more comfortable with my putter having a bead but the flights for putting were comparable. Putts for both had good glide without a strong finish inside the circle but very good HSS. Three years ago Feldy released the Dagger, which glides for days, but I digress. I still throw Judges for backhand drives and upshots as their compact design causes me fewer release issues. I'm sure I could bag a Pure for the same lines as their buzzz like feel would probably mesh well with the three Buzzzes I bag for tournament rounds.

I've got a buddy, might be a noodle arm, that recently converted to the Deputy and he raves about his new found 100' laser beam upshot and point and shoot putting. The Deputy has helped his game and Lat64 knows how to make putter blends... their premium plastics, not a fan except biofusion