Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts
Default Playing through

I often play by myself on weekdays and relish the fact the course will most likely be empty. I'm not very good, not horrible, but my absolute worst shots happen when I get to play through. I would really like to try a tournament, but I don't know if the playing through nerves would carry over. The worst is at my favorite local course that has a lot of tall/thick grass rough, if I put one in there it can be 5+ minutes of searching. Does anyone else perform horribly when others are watching/waiting?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 245 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6854 View Post
I often play by myself on weekdays and relish the fact the course will most likely be empty. I'm not very good, not horrible, but my absolute worst shots happen when I get to play through. I would really like to try a tournament, but I don't know if the playing through nerves would carry over. The worst is at my favorite local course that has a lot of tall/thick grass rough, if I put one in there it can be 5+ minutes of searching. Does anyone else perform horribly when others are watching/waiting?
Yes, you arent the only one who does this, this is also a reason that i dont play through people much. Also I think it has to do with being under some form of pressure of being watched, thinking that you have to throw really good, if they already let you play through then you were playing fine already, just calm down and relax.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
Yes, you arent the only one who does this, this is also a reason that i dont play through people much. Also I think it has to do with being under some form of pressure of being watched, thinking that you have to throw really good, if they already let you play through then you were playing fine already, just calm down and relax.
Right. If I see people on the front 9 I just start on the back lol
Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 245 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
What course do you play? is it a big course? because I can't do that on mine lol.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 297
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,955 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
is it a big course? because I can't do that on mine lol.
FYI - Being able to easily start on the back 9, (or any of a number of holes, other than #1) is really a function of the how the course is laid out, the shape of the park, and available parking near holes... not how big/long the course is.

I've seen some mammoth courses where you could easily start an any of a number of holes play a complete round, and end up back where you started. I've also see some fairly small courses where starting at anything other than # 1 was kind of a PIA.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 314
Niced 184 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Only one way to find out. Maybe you’ll have your worst round ever. Or, maybe you’ll find out other people have their own struggles, and they’re no different than you. It’s all about having fun. Plus, you’ll get some swag out of it.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 149
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,134 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote:
Is it a matter of strangers watching you play or anyone? Do you only play alone or do you play with others (friends/family) on occasion?

As others have said, it is common to be nervous when playing in front of others, particularly people you don't know. But the very nature of tournament play is competing with people you don't know. If you want to compete, you have to work on getting over that nervousness.

One thing that might help is remembering that when you enter a tournament, you typically do so in a division in which everyone else is more or less at your skill level. So those that you are playing with/against aren't going to be judging you too harshly since they're likely to be in your position just as often during the round (good shots and bad).

Old 01-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 548 Times in 236 Posts

It never bothers me to play through for several reasons. One is that there's a fair chance that you might be as good or better player than the ones you're playing through. The other reason is that I'm not trying to pass myself off as a 1000+ rated player. Right now I'm probably somewhere around 915, so I'm going to have my fair share of bad shots, I already know this, so I don't fret over it when I play through.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 331 Times in 150 Posts

I find myself rushing when I play through and that seems to cause my misfires. I would recommend having a brief convo with the group, take your time on the tee, take a deep breathe and then throw - all good things to do during tourneys as well.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,486 Times in 656 Posts

Getting over performance anxiety is generally resolved by practicing the situation. You could start by finding a local league night and showing up. This gives you a lot of the tournament experience and playing in front of others. Or, a smaller local tournament might be fun to try. Yes, you will be nervous, yes, you might grip lock the first few into the shule. It's OK, after a couple possible snickers, everyone gets over themselves. We have all been there. The game is about having fun and getting out of the house/work. Take a deep breath and have some fun, man. Good luck to ya.

Niced: (2)