Oh man, I can't wait to try these out.

Hopeful it's a stiffer S-Line.

Any plans for a Champ type run?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,920 Times in 1,439 Posts

Got my 168g S-blend Tomb in today, and it is awesome. Very similar in profile to the DX proto-Colts and DX Studs that first came out.

On the range, the Tomb was extremely accurate like the proto-Colts were. My Tomb has a fade at the end if not thrown with power, so I threw hyzer shots at targets and was happy with the accuracy.

I also threw between two rows of trees, a tunnel of sorts that is 30 ft. wide and 250 ft. long. Throwing with power, the Tomb is dead straight. I ripped it about 200 ft. on a frozen rope until it faded a little bit before hitting the ground.

Definitely will put this in the bag and see how it does. I hope some S-blend Tombs will come out in the 172-175g class...

Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 387 Posts

I got a 168 S-Blend and a 175 D-Blend, and I am also quite happy with them. For me, the 168 is almost dead straight when I throw it with power with just the slightest hyzer finish. The 175 is a little more overstable with no turn at all and a little sooner fade. I was throwing in a different field than I usually do so I couldn't give you exact distances, but I'd guess 250 easily with the 168 and maybe slightly shorter with the 175.

I will try to post some profile comparison pics later. The bottom mold piece looks like it's the same as the Colt. The Tomb has the flatness and shallowness of the Proto Colts for sure. It's more comfortable for driving than the production Colts, which have a more rounded shoulder. The top mold piece isn't exactly like the Proto colts; it's a little more squared off. It does fly quite similarly though, more stable than the production Colts.

The S-Blend is certainly current Star. It's a nice blend: grippy, slightly flexible but not super soft. The D-Blend is a nice, stiff DX. Overall, I'm very pleased with these.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 195 Times in 103 Posts

So better driving putter than an aviar3? I like deep putting putters but not to throw. Aviar3 I like throwing better than a wiz, but wouldn’t mind something a bit more shallow.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
So better driving putter than an aviar3? I like deep putting putters but not to throw. Aviar3 I like throwing better than a wiz, but wouldn’t mind something a bit more shallow.
"Better" may be in the eye of the beholder (and bethrower ). But to your question: While the Av3 is not beefy overstable, it does not fly as dead straight for me as the Tomb did on throws with some power. IIRC, the Aviar3 has some glide, and while the Tomb has a bit of glide, the Av3 carried farther with its glide (I took the Av3 out of my bag because I keep overshooting my target with it; the Tomb was more accurate in my first test throws with it).

If you tried and liked a Star Stud for throwing/driving, you may like the S-blend Tomb even more.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 202 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I hope some S-blend Tombs will come out in the 172-175g class...
Glad to hear you like it! The full stock release should have plenty of max weights.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Snowflake

Default Tomb update

The Tomb (prototype S-blend) is awesome . It saved me at least four strokes during my round today. On three occasions it hyzered nicely around obstacles (mostly tree branches reaching out to touch someone's disc) and just parked near the basket, all throws well over 100 ft. Then I had a shot nearer 200 ft. than 150 ft., and bad footing so I had to make a standstill throw. The Tomb flew dead straight with a small fade (I was actually expecting a bit more fade), leaving 20 ft. to the basket that my Marshall knew what to do with.

The Tomb is soon to come out in full production (Infinite has the photos up on the Tomb page, but only prototypes to order as of this writing), and I'll be curious to see if they'll be exactly like the prototypes or tweaked and slightly different...
Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 563 Times in 275 Posts

Is this a resurrected classic roc?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
It's been some time since I held a Classic Roc in my paws, but IIRC, the Tomb is not the same in shape and feel in the hand. The Tomb a lot more like a Colt or Stud.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
I think the Colt was the disc they made to replace the Classic Roc. I haven't held a CR for a while, but I think the Colt has a similarly shallow hand-feel (not the same mold though I don't think). When they retooled the Colt after the proto release, they made it less stable than a CR, but the Tomb flies closer to the proto Colts. So I'd guess a Tomb could be a pretty good CR replacement, although I don't think it's actually the same mold. I guess it could share a mold piece though; I've never heard anything definitive about the CR and Colt sharing mold pieces though.