Old 02-13-2019, 01:56 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
OK, so...7X was the first year of the KC Pro series. Not all of the discs were run i.e. there was no 7X Roc, no 7X or 8X Aviar, etc. Gazelles, Vipers, Ravens, maybe Cheetahs? I forget which discs were run that first year. I started seeing them in early '97. The year before there was a Special Edition Gazelle that had a plastic that felt kinda-sorta like what became KC Pro Roc/Aviar plastic, but the 7X Gazelle was what we now call Pro plastic. They were beefier out of the box than a DX Gazelle. I threw DX Gazelles but when the KC Pro drivers came out I switched to KC Pro Cheetahs; the Gazelles were a bit too overstable for me.

Like every other disc made in the 90's, any actual value it had was wiped out by CE.
What about 86 and 86 Softy made into the early 1990's? Or does CE negate that too?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,814 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
What about 86 and 86 Softy made into the early 1990's? Or does CE negate that too?
Stuff pops up in value and goes back down all the time. To me the classic example was the stock stamped small bead Aviar Putt and Approach. They made it for about a decade and they sold tons of them. They were everywhere. Because they were everywhere even though I threw that disc I almost never stooped to the stock stamp. They were a very popular tournament stamp choice and you could get them with one-off custom stamps which seemed cooler. I had a few stock stamped ones and I used to throw them in as a "thanks" when I would trade with somebody in the '00's. Why worry about giving them away? They were worth literally nothing.

Then all of a sudden in 2012 or 2013 the small bead stock stamped Aviar Putt and Approach got hot. People started paying $25-$30 bucks for them. The custom stamped ones from the same time period (which I had kept and were the same disc) got no traction and were still next-to worthless. The disc that I was so sure would never have any value that I used to give them away suddenly had value.

Moral of the story? Don't ask me, I just work here.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,515 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Stuff pops up in value and goes back down all the time. To me the classic example was the stock stamped small bead Aviar Putt and Approach. They made it for about a decade and they sold tons of them. They were everywhere. Because they were everywhere even though I threw that disc I almost never stooped to the stock stamp. They were a very popular tournament stamp choice and you could get them with one-off custom stamps which seemed cooler. I had a few stock stamped ones and I used to throw them in as a "thanks" when I would trade with somebody in the '00's. Why worry about giving them away? They were worth literally nothing.

Then all of a sudden in 2012 or 2013 the small bead stock stamped Aviar Putt and Approach got hot. People started paying $25-$30 bucks for them. The custom stamped ones from the same time period (which I had kept and were the same disc) got no traction and were still next-to worthless. The disc that I was so sure would never have any value that I used to give them away suddenly had value.

Moral of the story? Don't ask me, I just work here.
I often cite the metalhead viper and the old san marino rocs as examples of the same thing. When I started playing both were highly sought after and demanded a high price. Now you can barely give a metalhead viper away.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:53 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I often cite the metalhead viper and the old san marino rocs as examples of the same thing. When I started playing both were highly sought after and demanded a high price. Now you can barely give a metalhead viper away.
Metalhead Vipers and San Marino Rocs were like gold in the 90's. Nobody cares about them anymore and it's hard to even explain to new players how a DX disc could have ever been worth anything, but those two discs were far and away the "hot" discs to have when I started playing.

I won't even get into how hot the XL was when it came out and how many first run XL's I had thinking I was on to something.

Don't plan on sending your kids to college off your golf disc collection, folks!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 29 Times in 18 Posts
Smile

Quote:
I'd take any Vipers people might want to give me.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yep San Marino ROC was highly sought after until in the Factory store Innova started making them as a limited production run in a premium plastic.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-13-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Metalhead Vipers and San Marino Rocs were like gold in the 90's. Nobody cares about them anymore and it's hard to even explain to new players how a DX disc could have ever been worth anything, but those two discs were far and away the "hot" discs to have when I started playing.

I won't even get into how hot the XL was when it came out and how many first run XL's I had thinking I was on to something.

Don't plan on sending your kids to college off your golf disc collection, folks!
XL was only hot due to Scott Stokley setting the distance record with that Pro D disc. It might have been worth something if you had an ESP XL as the Z is not anything due to the odd flight the disc gets after it wears in.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 385 Times in 213 Posts

The old XL’s were money in tourney pro plastic. I would switch to Discraft if they brought back that plastic. If only they could have retooled the cyclone mold with a slightly higher PLH, a stack of stabilized tourney pro cyclones would be sweet.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
XL was only hot due to Scott Stokley setting the distance record with that Pro D disc. It might have been worth something if you had an ESP XL as the Z is not anything due to the odd flight the disc gets after it wears in.
They are Elite Pro XL's. Pro D wasn't even a thing when XL's came out.

Millennium Discs showed there was a market for the $10 disc in upgraded plastic that previously Innova and Discraft didn't think existed. Innova jumped in in '97 with the KC Pro line of discs and offered existing molds in better plastics.

Discraft designed a completely different line of discs that was only offered in the Elite Pro line that came out in '98. I'm pretty sure the X2 was the first release followed by the XL. Then the MRX, APX and MRV came out followed by the Xtreme and Xtra, then the XS and Xpress. There were a lot of discs with "X" in the title, anyway. Elite Pro was Discraft's take on Innova Pro/Millinium base plastic.

That plan went with what Discraft had been doing for several years. Since '93 they had two different types of base plastic; Competition and Tournament Pro. Off the top of my head Magnets, Deuce, Hawks, Eclipse, Marauders and Tracers were sold in Competition, which was pretty close to Innova DX. HD Hawks, Comets, Vortex, Cyclones, Typhoons, X-Clones, Stratus and Cyclone 2's were sold in Tournament Pro, which was like a less durable X plastic. The Hawk was sold in both plastics and the Vortex was sold in Competition and later switched to Tourney Pro, but otherwise it was different discs for different plastics

The idea was successful in the beginning as the XL was a huge hit, but in '99 Innova released the Eagle, TeeBird and Leopard. With that they finally had the discs to replace the Viper as their flagship driver. CE was on the horizon and Discraft needed an answer for that. Elite Z was the answer. Elite Pro kinda sorta morphed into Elite X; it's the closest thing to Elite Pro that they have now. Both Competition and Tournament Pro were dropped and Pro D was introduced. Discraft abandoned the "Different discs for different plastics" idea and went with the Innova plan of discs sold in various plastics.

People now try to take the Pro D/Elite X/Elite Z designations that popped up around 2001 and try to stick them on 90's Discraft discs. It's not how it was, though. Those old Saturn-stamped Comets were not Pro D no matter how many times people call them that. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Pro D Comet.

Last edited by Three Putt; 02-13-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
The old XL’s were money in tourney pro plastic. I would switch to Discraft if they brought back that plastic. If only they could have retooled the cyclone mold with a slightly higher PLH, a stack of stabilized tourney pro cyclones would be sweet.
It's too bad about the Cyclone mold. I love that driver in Tournament Pro. Something about X plastic killed off some distance out of it. In Pro D it's a flippy little bugger. In Z it flew like a Viper. The ESP discs were better but still the fade is wonky and they are not as long as the Tournament Pro's. It just never was the same disc when they got rid of Tournament Pro plastic, but when they made them in that plastic they were money.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Three Putt; 02-13-2019 at 07:04 PM.