Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 66 Times in 30 Posts
Default The secret to choosing the right Destroyer

https://youtu.be/ATdgZfZpxZQ

I hope this belongs here and can help some of you to find the right Destroyer for you!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 201 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doth_savek View Post

I hope this belongs here and can help some of you to find the right Destroyer for you!
Very cool. I just looked and my 175 Ricky Destroyer has the 3 grind marks just like my 2 line AJ. the new Made in the USA Destroyers have no markings at all. Very informative and confirms what most of us thought. thanks for doing the actual legwork though!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,902 Times in 1,428 Posts

Quote:

25 minutes is too long. Can someone just give us the Cliffs Notes here?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 295 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:

Good observation. I remember reading a post (here, I think) from a guy with a lot of plastic injection molding knowledge. The bottom line is they are not using different molds. The differences you're seeing are a result of different plastic blends being used that have different shrink rates when they cool. The wing of the disc contains the most plastic, and therefore that is the part of the disc that cools the slowest, with the inside of the wing being the last bit to cool. If you have a plastic blend that has a larger shrink rate then as the center of that wing cools it "sucks" the wing in as it shrinks, which will exaggerate the concave portion on the bottom as well as the top of the wing (ever notice how some discs have more pronounced curves on top while others are more flat, and some even have little dimples/grooves right over the wing?).

What I really don't remember from that long post is whether the shrink rate was purely a function of the plastic blend or if the cooling time also affected the shrink rate. Maybe a disc that cooled faster also shrank more, for example. This is why there are all these run differences - the warehouse conditions where the discs are made are not necessarily climate controlled. In the middle of summer the plastic will cool slower due to higher temperatures inside the production facility, in the winter the plastic may cool faster due to lower temperatures. Either way, your overstable Destroyer examples are the ones where greatest shrink occurred, your understable Destroyer examples are the least shrink occurred as the plastic cooled.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 177 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
My take away is, don't buy your Destroyers online.

In all seriousness though, I never knew there was that much variation in the wing,

Niced: (2)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,445 Times in 1,558 Posts

Nicely done...looks like the way I've been judging them by eye has been working out. When I looked at the pictures without the measurements I could tell which was beefcake vs. straight vs. flippy for a Destroyer, then you put numbers to it well.

I have similar power to you and it's nice to see you get such a big difference between them like I have found. Flex shots through a hurricane vs. hyzer flips for huge distance...definitely not the same slot in the bag for some of these haha
Old 02-25-2019, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,445 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
If the bottom of the wing is flat or convex like an FD or Roadrunner, it'll be straight or have turn. If the bottom of the wing has a concave flare to it, it'll be beefy. Lots of flare, and it'll be like a speed 12 Firebird and cost you tons of distance if you don't have a massive arm.

Don't pay attention to stamp, pay attention to shape.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:12 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 27
Niced 115 Times in 70 Posts

no wonder i couldnt fine a SINGLE destroyer that flew the same.. thanks for this video!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Good observation. I remember reading a post (here, I think) from a guy with a lot of plastic injection molding knowledge. The bottom line is they are not using different molds. The differences you're seeing are a result of different plastic blends being used that have different shrink rates when they cool.
What about the grind marks? Checked my AJ SD and lo and behold, there it is. Like crime scene evidence. 4 block grind marks.

To the OP, was there any correlation between wing shape and the mold it came from (let's assume the grind marks are clear evidence of at least two molds in production)?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 12 Times in 3 Posts

I doubt there is much (if any) difference between the molds.