Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 628 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
One example I noticed is the Roadrunner, I can't get my beginner friends to believe it's a really really good driver for people with our arm speed, since it's a "roller".
Also the -4 turn on a poptop Barsby signature, is just plain wrong? Flies like a latitude disc with -1 2...

Guess I'll have to prove it on the course.
Yeah I have a hard time convincing beginner players that with my experience (not a power player) I can throw a Dragon well and not turn and burn it. Most beginners that have good amount of power turn and burn such a light disc that is understable as they are trying to mash discs to get distance , a jerky power throw. I can turn and burn the Dragon or have it fly left only on a mashing style power throw but if one throws the Dragon right with smooth non jerky form it can fly fine. Lots of power beginners are holding the disc as if they are going to hyzer the disc as they afraid of turning and burning the disc or they just don't use it because they turn and burn such a disc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 52
Niced 297 Times in 175 Posts

I agree with Casey about the Dragon. if you don't try to crush it, it can be a really decent disc.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 188 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
I have 2 star RRs and no way in hell are they -4, 1.

For beginners go with a Gold Line River or Teebird DX. I swear the RRs seem like 10, 6, -2, 2.

For topic discussion I'd say the River is a awesome name and a bad name at the same time haha.
I've convinced a bunch to get the River, the disc that taught me to drive...
The prototype name was flyter, but that's Swedish for flows so I guess that they like how it meandered between the trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
On a calm day, my RR flies like a Valkyrie, but into a headwind the likeliness to turn is a big difference.
Indeed, good example, if you punch or throw in slight headwind the difference is more than notable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Yeah I have a hard time convincing beginner players that with my experience (not a power player) I can throw a Dragon well and not turn and burn it. Most beginners that have good amount of power turn and burn such a light disc that is understable as they are trying to mash discs to get distance , a jerky power throw. I can turn and burn the Dragon or have it fly left only on a mashing style power throw but if one throws the Dragon right with smooth non jerky form it can fly fine. Lots of power beginners are holding the disc as if they are going to hyzer the disc as they afraid of turning and burning the disc or they just don't use it because they turn and burn such a disc.
It's a balance, not sure if anyone of my rookie buddies throws the River anymore. Maybe they'll get back to it when they're sick of the left side of the fairway.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 176 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
I agree with Casey about the Dragon. if you don't try to crush it, it can be a really decent disc.
I also agree. I was surprised by some posts on here that talk down on the Dragon.

I admit that I bought one specifically for a local course with a lot of water, but once I started throwing it, I really liked the flight. I also like the feel of the plastic.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 81 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
I've convinced a bunch to get the River, the disc that taught me to drive...
The prototype name was flyter, but that's Swedish for flows so I guess that they like how it meandered between the trees.

Indeed, good example, if you punch or throw in slight headwind the difference is more than notable.

It's a balance, not sure if anyone of my rookie buddies throws the River anymore. Maybe they'll get back to it when they're sick of the left side of the fairway.
If I need any straight shot, anny, turn over, little hyzer, I'm pulling the River out unless its windy. Then I go TB. I'd buy 10 Rivers in GL at 167g to 169g if I could lol. Opto is nice, just love the star feeling Gold Line.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,891 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
More then likely it is TL for the parts of two discs it uses Teebird and Leopard, not sure which parts of each disc the TL uses though.
TL bottom is the "L" underside, and what appears to be an Archangel top.

Also, my Star Roadrunner that I got years ago was never 'all that' understable like the -4 number suggests it would be. I should dig it out take it to the range and compare it to the new staple of my bag, the Sphinx.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
On a calm day, my RR flies like a Valkyrie, but into a headwind the likeliness to turn is a big difference.
That is what I noticed too from my Valkyrie models and my brothers Road Runner in Champion, My low dome Star Valkyrie is like a Viking in terms of Stability.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
Yeah just the only problem is the disc can't handle headwinds or side winds, having one of those sucks when you need a water disc and the only thing you have is a Dragon.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
TL bottom is the "L" underside, and what appears to be an Archangel top.

Also, my Star Roadrunner that I got years ago was never 'all that' understable like the -4 number suggests it would be. I should dig it out take it to the range and compare it to the new staple of my bag, the Sphinx.
Try a Champion Road Runner, those often if they are not pop top dome fly to the numbers more.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I also agree. I was surprised by some posts on here that talk down on the Dragon.

I admit that I bought one specifically for a local course with a lot of water, but once I started throwing it, I really liked the flight. I also like the feel of the plastic.
Yeah the newer Dragons fly well and have a R-DX like a Rubber DX plastic. The disc is nice for tailwind bombers and calm day open shot bombers. I did get first Dragon for a Water Disc as my Lighting #2 Driver could only float for max of 20 minutes. I have since learned that the discs over 170 grams mine was 172 grams did not float for more then 25 minutes and thus mine sinking at 15-20 minutes was not a fluke.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-14-2019 at 10:04 PM.