Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,456 Times in 1,563 Posts

Replacing a perfectly beat Teebird is an issue for sure. Keep working that disc in and hopefully it will get there, and when it does it will stay at that stability for years. Other than that you have a few other options...Gstar Teebirds fly pretty mild and have good glide, if you are fine with Gstar. TL is close to a beat in Teebird, but it does have a bit of high speed turn to it if you throw decently hard. FD is a notch below this as well but works for the beat in Teebird slot very nicely, again you have to slightly hyzer flip it as it is more of a -1/1 than the 0/1.5 of a beat Teebird. The JLS could also work too. Going to other brands, the Rival and the Explorer are as close as it gets...Rival feels maybe a touch sleeker but has that Teebird flight. I have not thrown a beat in Explorer but I have heard that they lose some HSS whereas Teebirds just keep getting straighter until they are beat sooo much. The Explorer looks and feels identical to the Teebird, aside from being in Lat64 plastics.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by slowplastic; 03-21-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

^For the record I am bringing up other molds/brands because I can execute those beat Teebird shots easier with a new or slightly worn FD/TL/Rival/JLS than I can with a fresh Teebird that is OS. Beefy Teebirds fly 30-50' shorter for me than beat in ones, I agree they fly like a Thunderbird but shorter/slower by a bit. Whereas a beat in Teebird is straighter and longer for me than a Thunderbird, but obviously with way less wind resistance.

Beat in Teebird is still the best flying though.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 85 Times in 61 Posts

My GL River and a little worn in TB act very similar to me with the River being a tad longer. Both are great discs.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 650 Times in 315 Posts

Get you a good Teebird cycle going! Pickup a few used ones, figure out how they fly in relation to each other, and use your fresh one as an OS complement to the cycle. I'm always carrying four or more TBs in my full bag.

Even the old PFN Star TBs start out with a lot more fade than what they beat into. Old TBs tend to have a touch more glide than the Avery sigs, but the Avery sigs will still beat into a great neutral fairway driver. If you look at facebook sites, the marketplace here, and in used bins, you can find some used Star TBs somewhere. They are the best.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 94 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Even the old PFN Star TBs start out with a lot more fade than what they beat into. Old TBs tend to have a touch more glide than the Avery sigs, but the Avery sigs will still beat into a great neutral fairway driver . . . used Star TBs somewhere. They are the best.
Exactly this, I find my AJ Teebirds to be very similar to how my PFNs started out but with a little less Glide. Comparing my new Star Teebirds to my PFN (and even my pre-AJ) shows the AJ ones have a much higher PLH and not as much dome. Could be how AJ wanted them produced. In any event, throw a couple of rounds with the Star Teebird using spike hyzers to get the seasoning quicker.

Otherwise, try a 2019 Nybo Shimmer Star, they're not as beefy, have the glide but do exhibit a lower HSS. Or, and my personal opinion on this, the best Teebirds produced right now are Metal Flak Teebirds. You could get one of those.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

How would a AJ star teebird fly compared to a 12X Champion TeeBird?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 650 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgp1689 View Post
How would a AJ star teebird fly compared to a 12X Champion TeeBird?
I assume you’re talking current stock 12x and not old PFN 12x.

Champ will start a little more OS and take a little longer to beat in. But a beat champ Teebird is a beautiful thing. It’ll hold the TB sweetspot for years.

I personally prefer the feel of star plastic for a disc I’m going to throw constantly, but champ TBs beat in nice and straight with lots of seasoning. Straightest glidiest TB I’ve ever thrown was an old 11x champ.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

OR....you could used my break in method for new discs that takes about 10 minutes and you will have a well broken in disc without a scratch on it.

i take my overstable Star plastic with the top facing you and taco it (always bending down)til the edges almost touch then give it a quarter turn and do it again. then i grab the edge that is away from me with both hands, thumbs about an inch apart and give it a little bend upward (towards you moving your thumbs apart) rotate the disc an inch and repeat until you get it where it will lay flat on a table (usually 2-3 times around the entire edge of the disc). and there you go! roughly a years worth of wear without ever hitting a tree. learned this watching Climo tweak his discs.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

^Does tuning star or champ plastic like that keep the stability change? Or does it go back to its original memory shape after a few days?

You can definitely do parking lot "practice" shots and such to really get some fast wear on the disc, it helps a lot too. Then sand it a little if necessary to get rid of rough patches.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,914 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
OR....you could used my break in method for new discs that takes about 10 minutes and you will have a well broken in disc without a scratch on it.

i take my overstable Star plastic with the top facing you and taco it (always bending down)til the edges almost touch then give it a quarter turn and do it again. then i grab the edge that is away from me with both hands, thumbs about an inch apart and give it a little bend upward (towards you moving your thumbs apart) rotate the disc an inch and repeat until you get it where it will lay flat on a table (usually 2-3 times around the entire edge of the disc). and there you go! roughly a years worth of wear without ever hitting a tree. learned this watching Climo tweak his discs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
^Does tuning star or champ plastic like that keep the stability change? Or does it go back to its original memory shape after a few days?

You can definitely do parking lot "practice" shots and such to really get some fast wear on the disc, it helps a lot too. Then sand it a little if necessary to get rid of rough patches.
Or just maximize your fun by doing some (a lot of) one-disc rounds with the disc in question, throwing it into the ground, trees, and the chains...