Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on bagging a Firebird

I've dabbled with Firebirds a bit in the past, but I've decided I'm going to start bagging one. On the course today the disc paid immediate dividends. Super consistent overstability.

The one I put in the bag is a regular champion 12X 158g. Clear, slightly gummy plastic. Fairly domey too. For being such a light disc this thing still has some serious bite. On the other hand, I feel that the lighter weight enabled me to lay into this disc hard and actually have it fly flat for a bit. This Firebird isn't quite as brutally glideless as some I've tried. My max distance with it was about 350', but I found that it worked for shorter hooking drives. I also sidearmed it a couple times with success.

This Firebird is noticeably beefier than my Flick or XCal. The Flick and XCal are also longer, the XCal by 30' or more.

Overall I liked how the Firebird performed today, and it will remain in the bag for the foreseeable future. The Firebird is a disc I can throw as hard as possible and know where its going without worrying about flipping.

I'd rate it at 9, 4, 0, 4. Sharp fade. Distance capability is there, but you have to mash on it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)

Last edited by Twmccoy; 03-22-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 645 Times in 364 Posts

For the longest time I was a Banshee elitist, even bagging a pair of Xcals for a while as well. Made the transition and haven't looked back. I think you made the right move!

I will say it's probably too much disc for the lower powered players even though I constantly see/hear about them throwing one anyway. Whatever, not my problem lol
Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,099 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
For the longest time I was a Banshee elitist, even bagging a pair of Xcals for a while as well. Made the transition and haven't looked back. I think you made the right move!

I will say it's probably too much disc for the lower powered players even though I constantly see/hear about them throwing one anyway. Whatever, not my problem lol
To your point, Grip, I think they're useful as a utility disc even for shorter throwers.

I can't throw far at all after my second shoulder surgery, but I still bag a Sexton and find it useful for skip shots, forehand rollers, short spikes, etc.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 PM

I should have elaborated. Unskilled/new players that don't throw far should wait to bag one until they progress whether they're strictly recreational players or pursuing competition. It's nobody's fault they can't throw far, and I'm a lucky son of a bitch that just so happens to have an arm.

My main point was don't rely on a tool you don't truly comprehend, and don't let it get in the way of utilizing other molds or shots that will benefit your score in the long run. The old gaming phrase "git gud" comes to mind...know yourself and what you're throwing before you bag something so...specific.

Funny, unrelated but similar. I've been a mold minimalist for years as many of you I'm sure remember from my post history. Recently I've been maximalizing and honestly really enjoying it! I think a big point in the mini/maximalist argument is starting out with a ton of molds before learning release angles etc. I've been played for 17 years now, have an arsenal of different throws and stances, and have tried tons and tons of molds in different weights/plastics/domes. Experienced players have every right to carry multiples of five different midranges since they truly understand which flight is most appropriate for a given shot.

/mini derail

Last edited by GripEnemy; 03-22-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 263 Times in 159 Posts

So, seems to me you're saying you should wait until you realize it covers shots you're missing in your game.... ?

Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 PM

I'm saying if you suck you shouldn't bag a Destroyer, for instance. Same goes for something very overstable. A new Champ Teebird regardless of weight is plenty overstable for n00bs, and a Valkyrie WILL go farther than a Destroyer for those same people. Not a difficult concept.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I'm saying if you suck you shouldn't bag a Destroyer, for instance. Same goes for something very overstable. A new Champ Teebird regardless of weight is plenty overstable for n00bs, and a Valkyrie WILL go farther than a Destroyer for those same people. Not a difficult concept.
No, but I agree with Broken Shoulder. There are shots a FB does, that are highly useful. Even if you don't throw far enough to get the 'numbers' flight out of it. Ultimately the flight the disc does when you throw it needs to be useful for you. Also not a difficult concept.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 PM

If you can't utilize a fresh Champ Teebird or Banshee for "Firebird shots" when you're new to the game/suck/inexperienced AND you throw under 325' MaxD you're silly. Grips out, cheers bud.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

and with that, I think you totally missed my point.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:

I kept the champ XCal in the bag. I noticed today that the Firebird and XCal are 2 distinctly different (yet overstable) discs. The XCal is longer and not quite as overstable for me as the Firebird. I use the XCal for the same shots as the Firebird, but for when I want another 30' or so.

I agree the Firebird is way too much disc for weak arms. I felt like I was getting it up to speed nicely today.