Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,458 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Except when people only disc up in speed for OS you run into problems in headwinds. Like people who throw destroyers 250' for their firebird shots, and then you get a 20 MPH headwind it's basically like you just got it up to speed and it flexes on you. It's always more consistent to bag something naturally OS than something that's only OS cause you can't get it up to speed.
Usually people like that are more excited about the extra distance they just got on their Destroyer, than missing their intended line because of it...

I agree that true OS is the best option if you're wanting to throw trick shots and OS shots that will always be OS. There's no problem with a newer player having one in the bag for situations, especially if someone has helped them learn that it's FOR situations. Like don't expect it to act like the "distance driver" the stamp says on it.

But if someone with a weaker arm wants to throw flex shots around trees to get out of trouble, grenades over bushes, FH rollers, tomahawks/thumbers, trick skips, then the Firebird is a great option for them because it'll act the same every time. But at a certain point they'll hopefully realize that if they want to throw a 220' shot that ends left a little bit, they are better off with a Roc3 or something like that at their arm speed than a Firebird. Over time people will learn what can work and use what works for them consistently.

For example at my arm speed, a beefcake Destroyer is too much as a real thrower. I used to use one way more often for hyzer lines, but over time the Firebird and Thunderbird have taken like 70% of its shots. This just naturally happened when I realized they are more forgiving for my release speed and still tolerate decent wind. So to some extent, you just have to try something out to see what works for you and naturally you'll see how much you use a certain disc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 245 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I agree that true OS is the best option if you're wanting to throw trick shots and OS shots that will always be OS. There's no problem with a newer player having one in the bag for situations, especially if someone has helped them learn that it's FOR situations. Like don't expect it to act like the "distance driver" the stamp says on it.

But if someone with a weaker arm wants to throw flex shots around trees to get out of trouble, grenades over bushes, FH rollers, tomahawks/thumbers, trick skips, then the Firebird is a great option for them because it'll act the same every time. But at a certain point they'll hopefully realize that if they want to throw a 220' shot that ends left a little bit, they are better off with a Roc3 or something like that at their arm speed than a Firebird. Over time people will learn what can work and use what works for them consistently.
I think we're agreeing on basically every point.
I will add that I personally try to throw the most reasonably stable disc I have for shots. If you give me a wide open 300', half the time I'll want to spike in a firebird. Other half it's a mild mid hyzer

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
I think we're agreeing on basically every point.
I will add that I personally try to throw the most reasonably stable disc I have for shots. If you give me a wide open 300', half the time I'll want to spike in a firebird. Other half it's a mild mid hyzer
I agree, I will try to use the best disc for the shot in that the least stable I can use will be used. Up to and including 20 mph for driving and longer midrange a Valkyrie will still be used though maybe my Star low dome one as that is more OS then my Champion in nearly same dome and weight and even my Stalker 170-172 grams might get used or my 170 gram ESP XL up to 25-27 mph or so steady. At about 30 mph steady I use a Destroyer. How before 2014 when my most OS driver disc was a elite Z XL (replaced by Stalker with 6 back ups at right weight) since 2005 did I play well in high winds?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 532 Times in 393 Posts

I have used tons of OS fairway drivers - (tons of discs in general) and yeah I pretty much always come back to the firebird. There are a lot of good discs out there though - I'm currently bagging a resistor but just cuz - the firebird is a frequent resident in my bag though, overall its a very usefull disc. my fav is a old Glow Champ Firebird that for some reason is the MOST OS firebird I've ever used or seen thrown - It has a super high PLY and slight dome on top and weighs haha 178g - its a monster
Old 03-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,921 Times in 1,440 Posts

As one of the slower-armspeed players, I have a Star FB, a couple of Star FLs, and some 2017 Sexton FBs. I guess I could sell most of them for many green dollar bills and keep just one, but I digress.

I've bagged the FB, especially the Sexton FB, and I liked it for low skip shots into tight spots as well as reliably OS approaches in tough winds. So there IS use for FBs for throwers like me.

Having said that, I found that I only needed the FB every once in several months of 5x per week play. I also found that I could use the Banshee or an OS Teebird or Eagle (or Exodus) for those shots AND throw that speed 7 disc for more full power shots and more varieties of shots.

TL;DR: anyone can use a Firebird, but it might not be the best choice for every bag.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

This damn Firebird! I played a couple rounds today, and this disc has made an indelible impact on my game. I find myself reaching for it more and more often. The Firebird is starting to eat into shots I'd usually do with a Roc3. 330-350'ish drives where I want accuracy.

I can throw the Firebird hyzer on those shots and have it settle right near the basket almost every time. Just lay it out right of target and let the extreme late fade bring it back. My champion Roc3 does these shots well, but the Firebird does them better. Surprisingly, the disc hits and stops. No ridiculous skips or roll-aways.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
This damn Firebird! I played a couple rounds today, and this disc has made an indelible impact on my game. I find myself reaching for it more and more often. The Firebird is starting to eat into shots I'd usually do with a Roc3. 330-350'ish drives where I want accuracy.

I can throw the Firebird hyzer on those shots and have it settle right near the basket almost every time. Just lay it out right of target and let the extreme late fade bring it back. My champion Roc3 does these shots well, but the Firebird does them better. Surprisingly, the disc hits and stops. No ridiculous skips or roll-aways.
Be careful of this, Firebirds can get pretty skippy, but it can be a pretty reliable skip.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
Be careful of this, Firebirds can get pretty skippy, but it can be a pretty reliable skip.
I've heard this. My Firebird is a gummy 158g and seems resistant to skipping. Also, the ground was a little damp from rain today. All my shots were sticking pretty well.

My Firebird seems to hit the ground with surprising grace, considering its coming in at a steep angle, and hard.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've heard this. My Firebird is a gummy 158g and seems resistant to skipping. Also, the ground was a little damp from rain today. All my shots were sticking pretty well.

My Firebird seems to hit the ground with surprising grace, considering its coming in at a steep angle, and hard.
Nice. I have a 157 that is a little soft as well, still flies like a FB.