Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 939 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Discing up can create a whole host of other problems.

Got nose angle issues with faster discs? Those are multiplied greatly using a fast driver in a headwind. Faster disc is not ALWAYS the answer. Start slow, master that first. Combining that with heavier and more overstable is the more controllable answer. I threw a banshee for several years when I was developing my game. I still have more trust throwing predators over forces in some situations.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by VictorB; 04-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 377 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
Can you folks recommend a wind driver for a noodle armed guy like myself that needs to throw a Thrasher to reach 350'? I am frustrated throwing into the wind and seeing either an OS driver go all of 280' or having my regular drivers turnover and glide OB. What do I need to do?
a) Try a ___(Driver)______ it should do the trick.
b) Throw lighter weight OS Drivers
c) Gee mister, your a noodle arm, what do you expect to happen?

(Currently tossing a 166g Z Punisher for this slot)
I've been mulling your particular problem over more. I, too, struggle in the wind, but have just in the last month started to be able to execute better. For reference, in calm or light tailwind conditions I throw Ballistas for max distance, and they go anywhere from 320'-390' depending on how I'm throwing that day. Also, all references are for RHBH.

-I've found that I can still achieve max distance for headwind/L-to-R crosswind combos (wind coming from 10-11 o'clock) but it requires BOTH a more overstable disc AND a different release angle. For this shot I throw a Ballista Pro (big brother of Ballista) and do so with a touch of anhyzer and aiming a little left of the target. The anny release with that wind combo lifts the disc and carries it much more than you would expect, and the overstable nature of the disc ensures the disc will fade back at the end. This requires some trial and error, but I have managed to throw goalpost-to-goalpost with this technique so I know I can get at least 360' out of it.
-Dead-on headwinds are harder. Key here is to release as flat as possible. Obviously that's tough to do, as it's much easier to intentionally give a little hyzer or anny on a release. I cannot get max distance throwing straight into a headwind, no matter what. But I can still get decent distance. A great rip with a Ballista Pro can get me 330'-350' in those conditions. In other words, a perfect headwind throw with an overstable disc = an average tailwind throw with an understable disc. Alternatively, I also can throw a Thunderbird-type disc here (Getaway for me personally) and get a consistent 300' in a headwind with much better control.
-Headwind/R-to-L crosswinds (coming from 1:00-2:00) still give me fits. Probably the toughest wind for me to control. Right now my technique is to still use my max distance Ballista, but to do so on an exaggerated hyzer release. Release has to be super clean, or it will flip mercilessly. But if you give it the perfect amount of hyzer and clean release, you can let the wind lift the disc up and push it left. This is really tough though. If I need to keep it in play I fall back on the Getaway. Thunderbird-type discs really do work well in just about every variation of a headwind.

Last edited by aphilso1; 04-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 54 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post

Got nose angle issues with faster discs? Those are multiplied greatly using a fast driver in a headwind. Faster disc is not ALWAYS the answer. Start slow, master that first. Combining that with heavier and more overstable is the more controllable answer. I threw a banshee for several years when I was developing my game. I still have more trust throwing predators over forces in some situations.
Thanks for that insight. I wonder if nose-angle is one of the issues. Many times I will over-correct for an earlier nose-up with a nose down drive that never gets higher than 6' and hits the dirt early. In a headwind the nose-down disc is being pushed down, of course.

Discing-up isn't much of an option as I have tried a Tern and Crank before settling on the Thrasher. Its rim width is about my effect max. Thus the travails of a noodle arm.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 756 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:

His reference disc is a 12. If he wants max distance, which it appears he does, a Banshee is a terrible rec.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 89
Niced 939 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
His reference disc is a 12. If he wants max distance, which it appears he does, a Banshee is a terrible rec.
At 350' using a speed 12 is cheating what you can reliably throw anyway. If he was throwing 300' with a Roc, you might have an point.

Getting a slower, heavier, overstable disc up to speed to fly predictably in a headwind is going to be much easier than using a moderately overstable speed 10-12 to compensate. And won't likely make much of a difference in getting 'max distance' when throwing straight into a headwind.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
At 350' using a speed 12 is cheating what you can reliably throw anyway. If he was throwing 300' with a Roc, you might have an point.

Getting a slower, heavier, overstable disc up to speed to fly predictably in a headwind is going to be much easier than using a moderately overstable speed 10-12 to compensate. And won't likely make much of a difference in getting 'max distance' when throwing straight into a headwind.
I don't agree with any of this. For what goal is this heavier slower overstable disc? if we were talking approaches on par 4s I would agree.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I've never understood this mentality. If using a Speed 12 gets you 350' distance, then who cares if that's "cheating" or not? If a 12 Speed disc gets you 350' but a 7 Speed only gets you 280', and if your goal is max distance, then why would you give away 70'? Maybe you're assuming there's OB or something that can get the OP into trouble off the tee, but I'm assuming when someone says they want max distance that they actually want, ya know, max distance.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Eagle Member

Note: I see after re-reading the OP that he didn't use the specific phrase "max distance." However, given the context of what he's describing (particularly the part about being frustrated only being able to throw an OS disc 280') I'd still say it's safe to say he's looking for more distance in the wind, not more control.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 369 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
he's looking for more distance in the wind, not more control.
But they go hand in hand.

The disc you can control the best... and also working on control in windy situations will get the best results. Maybe not always the furthest result but probably the best result.

Headwind Champ Teebird throw it smooth and control the nose angle. Once that is working well try out something faster, but don't be surprised if the distance gains are negligible, like 15-20' rather than 80'

Niced: (1)

Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post

Headwind Champ Teebird throw it smooth and control the nose angle. Once that is working well try out something faster, but don't be surprised if the distance gains are negligible, like 15-20' rather than 80'
Again, great for the approach to a par 4, but not at all what the OP is looking for.