Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 35 Posts
Default 400' Barrier

Just can't seem to get that extra little bit to push much passed 400 so Maybe someone better at doing that thing with the lines can help me out. I do sometimes collapse the shoulder angle a bit but usually try to be mindful of it. I dont have multiple angles of the same throw unfortunately but I do have 2 different throws at 2 different angles both flat-ish or hyzer release. My approach doesn't change much between open distance or tight fairways other than disc selection and snap so hopefully this will give an idea of what I can improve.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,445 Times in 1,558 Posts

You're turned too far back too early. Basically as soon as the first right foot step is down, you're back to the target with the disc way behind your feet and away from the target. This prevents you from getting to a good loaded position on the left foot.

When your left foot is down your feet are both 180 degrees from the target and the arm is basically fully extended immediately rather than turning back more and being leveraged within the rear hip. You then have to swing your right leg open toward the planting position from its fully away from the target position. Then since your left foot is so backwards you push off the left foot's heel.

I would suggest:
-incorporate a forward pump of the right arm as you start your right foot step, or start with the arm/disc in front of you...will help to backswing later rather than dragging an extended arm during the whole motion
-right foot step initially should be about 90 degrees to target
-left foot step in behind can be slightly closed like 120-135ish away from target
-at this point start the backswing so that it is being leveraged on the rear leg
-right foot stride should feel very sideways and then because the backswing is turning you away from the target, the foot will close up more just before it touches down

Basically you should be starting more sideways and ending more closed, rather than starting completely backwards and having to open into the plant.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You're turned too far back too early. Basically as soon as the first right foot step is down, you're back to the target with the disc way behind your feet and away from the target. This prevents you from getting to a good loaded position on the left foot.

When your left foot is down your feet are both 180 degrees from the target and the arm is basically fully extended immediately rather than turning back more and being leveraged within the rear hip. You then have to swing your right leg open toward the planting position from its fully away from the target position. Then since your left foot is so backwards you push off the left foot's heel.

I would suggest:
-incorporate a forward pump of the right arm as you start your right foot step, or start with the arm/disc in front of you...will help to backswing later rather than dragging an extended arm during the whole motion
-right foot step initially should be about 90 degrees to target
-left foot step in behind can be slightly closed like 120-135ish away from target
-at this point start the backswing so that it is being leveraged on the rear leg
-right foot stride should feel very sideways and then because the backswing is turning you away from the target, the foot will close up more just before it touches down

Basically you should be starting more sideways and ending more closed, rather than starting completely backwards and having to open into the plant.

Thanks that actually helped a lot!. Just keeping my left foot perpendicular to the target kept me from being in a straddle (horse) stance when I through and I could really feel more rotational force being generated from my hips. I was a martial artist and skateboarder for almost 25 years so my biomechanics and timing are usually pretty sound, but I can tell that I'm not getting the most out of my throws. I have a question about timing, actually. Should my back swing extend in time with my plant? When I try to time it that way the swing feels rushed for some reason and not fluid. On the day I filmed the side view I was working on trying to move around the disc and keep it in stationary until the throw - I find this gives a "whipping the towel" kind of quality and does get me out pretty far, although I think the best distance throws have resulted from keeping my wrist and shoulder locked in place and just allowing my elbow to hinge freely. It's hard to train the latter into muscle memory with everything else going on, though. I sort of liken it to a trebuchet and can feel the g forces in my hand when I do either and don't end up rounding but my accuracy is still affected (at least with a limpish / rubber band approach which is easier to me).

Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefellow View Post
Should my back swing extend in time with my plant? When I try to time it that way the swing feels rushed for some reason and not fluid. On the day I filmed the side view I was working on trying to move around the disc and keep it in stationary until the throw - I find this gives a "whipping the towel" kind of quality and does get me out pretty far, although I think the best distance throws have resulted from keeping my wrist and shoulder locked in place and just allowing my elbow to hinge freely.
It's hard to describe with a simple statement, but I used to try to "time the backswing and foot/plant" so that when the arm went back the foot went out. This is not at all how I feel it or try to feel it now.

That way of thinking would get me very elongated with the arm back and then thinking I'd have an elastic/whip feel through my arm. It's not how good throws are though.

I more feel the backswing with the hips/torso/shoulders turning back together and that all happens as I'm about to plant, moving forward to the plant location. So concentrate more on a backswing/turn back as you are coming down to land over the front leg all together.

It's more a sequence that if you wait to be balanced on the left leg during the X-step and turn back in balance on the left leg, the backswing will be delayed as you are moving into the plant.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 AM
Par Member

Quote:
It's hard to describe with a simple statement, but I used to try to "time the backswing and foot/plant" so that when the arm went back the foot went out. This is not at all how I feel it or try to feel it now.

That way of thinking would get me very elongated with the arm back and then thinking I'd have an elastic/whip feel through my arm. It's not how good throws are though.

I more feel the backswing with the hips/torso/shoulders turning back together and that all happens as I'm about to plant, moving forward to the plant location. So concentrate more on a backswing/turn back as you are coming down to land over the front leg all together.

It's more a sequence that if you wait to be balanced on the left leg during the X-step and turn back in balance on the left leg, the backswing will be delayed as you are moving into the plant.

One thing I've been doing lately is not actually weight bearing on my L foot and almost using it as sort of a pole vault and then landing with most of my weight over my R one. The balance is almost forward of center so I land quite firmly on my right trying to focus on keeping my last step smallish and a little offset forward. It's messed my timing up a little bit but I've gotten some decent throws out of it. Even without really getting into the power pocket I was still getting out around 350 with very reliable placement and I find that keeping the sideways motion has helped a bit with my accuracy issues. I am however turning discs over quite a bit, my speed 11+ are the ones that fly fairly reliably for me, everything below that is feeling understable except my tesla and fireball. My Cranks are almost too flippy now which sucks because they are one of my most reliable discs for sheer distance. My fission Photon has stepped up a lot recently. Now, I usually release fairly cleanly BH without a lot of wobble so could this just be beat discs being overthrown or given too much snap/spin? or is there maybe some common error thats tipping my throws a bit toward the anheizer side of things? Honestly it feels like the latter. My plasma 175ish volt has a tonne of high speed turn and wont fight back much in a headwind. This is the first time I'm starting to see MVP stuff beating in noticeable

I guess my next question would be regarding the effort involved in adding another 50-100' and whether it's worth doing... How far are the non-cyborg open players bombing discs? I can pretty reliably throw a fair distance past one football goal post from the opposite one, so are there really that many scenerios where that will be considered a limiting factor?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah gliding over the left foot and trying to land on the right one in the plant as the goal sounds good. In a standstill shot you'll feel the balance much more clearly over the left foot for the backswing...you should feel a similar leverage in a way in the X-step but you won't be weighting the left foot as much.

As far as discs turning with distance...it's more of a disc stability thing than a speed thing. Like if I gain noticeable velocity then my discs that maybe had a hint of turn before will start to really ride to the right...doesn't matter if it's a speed 7 fairway or a speed 13 driver. But the driver will probably flip even more. But something like a stable midrange still won't turn for me, it'll just go measurably farther.

So I would make sure that you can throw discs that are supposed to be straight, straight. Like a straight stable putter, something comparable to a Wizard...Edit just saw your bag, try Anode/Ion for true putter flights that handle tons of clean power. Or a straight mid like a Buzzz/Roc/etc. that should handle power. If you can't throw those discs straight then power down until they do go straight and keep adding a bit of power at a time. See what's going on. Because the same power that I put on a moderately understable high speed disc to flip it over, I can throw a putter dead straight 300'.

As for your distance question...well it comes down to consistency. Yeah there aren't that many holes over 350' in a lot of places. But if you can throw midranges instead of drivers it makes a huge difference for landing zones and how bad your disc will kick off of trees. It just matters how much you personally want to throw bombs with drivers, and also if the difference between throwing a mid or a hyzer on a 320' hole vs. a fairway or a driver "straight" at it is worth the work. Maybe your putting or upshot practice would change your scores by a lot more and be easier/less time consuming.

But I just know that as I've added clean power, I can throw slower discs with a ton of confidence. Like if a hole is say 330-350' but slightly downhill, I can throw a midrange straight at it. It's so simple, as it doesn't deviate from the line or skip or anything. Someone who has to throw a driver will deal with it fading out at its normal range since the downhill won't help a driver go all that much farther for most arm speeds, but it'll fade even more than on flat ground and they have to account for that plus the skip.

So it's in lots of situations where throwing harder or throwing with a slower disc can make a hole seem so much easier than before. Also as your form gets better you gain consistency in your lines. It's hard to describe just how much that changes things until you're able to throw those lines.

Like for example play a 250' hole that's pretty open...you can throw any disc in your bag at it on any line. You can choose the hyzer/flat/anny angle and disc speed, especially for if the wind is different. Now imagine that ability at 380' and in...that's what the pro's can do with their 450'+ distance.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

Squeeze between the knees.

The backswing should load the rear hip.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:11 AM
Par Member

Quote:

Like for example play a 250' hole that's pretty open...you can throw any disc in your bag at it on any line. You can choose the hyzer/flat/anny angle and disc speed, especially for if the wind is different. Now imagine that ability at 380' and in...that's what the pro's can do with their 450'+ distance.
That makes a lot of sense. I tend to throw my mids and putters a lot, I love them and actually am just now getting back to throwing drivers in the last couple months (all winter threw nothing faster than a speed 5) and it's been a journey lol. Discs are flying a lot further and a lot more US than they were prior to my 3 months of putter and comet/random mid throwing. Have a crystal z comet that I'm finding is a bit too stable for the slot I'd want it in so that might be a good sign as far as clean release is concerned haha. It's been stormy here all week and will be for a while but Ill try and update a form vid with your advise incorporated and better/multiple angles. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,494 Times in 1,560 Posts

You need to rotate your shoulder joint like ball on string.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134415

Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 154 Times in 117 Posts

You're opening a little early which causes some rounding/hugging yourself.

Looks pretty good here, possibly leaning too far away from target but hard to see from this angle for me.

And here you are already opening a little early. Rear knee should be just starting to swing in towards the target a tiny bit before right heel touches down. You are coming off your rear heel (like I do too) instead of toes which makes your weight shift slower and less compact.

And here you can see the rounding happening because your arm is getting disconnected from your body. The body is turning, but the arm is staying behind, which necessarily means you are collapsing the upper arm/shoulder angle.