Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 34 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
KSO's are the best disc golf shoes evar. Discuss.
Ignorance is bliss. Just sharing my 2 cents for people who've never heard of them.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have a pair of these and I do like them, but for disc golf I tend to prefer my Merrell Moab Ventilators. I never had any leg pain or needed any "break in period" to spread or stretch my feet when I started wearing my Five Fingers, but after a couple of rounds on the disc golf course the soles of my feet get a little tired of dealing with the thin soles on the shoes. And it makes your run-up a little more complicated when you're driving on an uneven natural surface. Again it's not painful or particularly dangerous, but the extra sensory feedback coming through my feet during the run up adds to the complexity of the already challenging activity that my brain is trying to manage.

Also on concrete pads you have to watch the top sides of your toes. If you drag your toes on a concrete pad you're going to rip open the mesh on top of your toes and probably cut up your feet. For more protection you might try the KSO Trek version that has the kangaroo leather upper.

Finally, the KSO stands for "keeps stuff out," which is true for pebbles and leaves and such, but the mesh upper doesn't keep the dust out. Unless you wear toe socks, prepare to have dirty feet when you take them off.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to xJFK

just ordered my pair today my local REI didn't have my size in the style I wanted so I just ordered my pair after I tried some on. wayyyy pumped!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
...for disc golf I tend to prefer my Merrell Moab Ventilators.
+1

Ultra-Light, Breathable, and Vibram Soles = Perfect DG Shoes.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,024 Posts

No F'n way. I just bought a pair of these a couple of days ago. I love them too much to destroy them on concrete teepads discgolfing, so it's still Merrell Moabs for me as well.

I have adjusted pretty quickly to wearing them, my feet actually started hurting less. But I did start barefooting it a little during the summers so...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,256 Times in 378 Posts

Those Vibram's are tougher than they look Bro-D.

My brother's DG shoes are the Vibram Sprints (main difference is they don't cover the top of the foot with the webbing, it's open top past the toes. He loves them, and has no problem walking/wading right through creeks or puddles even since they dry up quickly.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

call me old school but i will stick with old fashioned socks and shoes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

There's a guy at my local field that used to rock these things all the time. I watched him stub his foot on a root and DISLOCATE HIS SMALL TOE...he no longer wears them.

They're interesting and all, but I like the way my toes are oriented now.

I switched from Merrills and hiking shoes to an Adidas trail running shoe, and I prefer the new ones. Trail running shoes have a lot of grip, and typically weight noticeably less than hiking shoes.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I have a pair of these and I do like them, but for disc golf I tend to prefer my Merrell Moab Ventilators. I never had any leg pain or needed any "break in period" to spread or stretch my feet when I started wearing my Five Fingers, but after a couple of rounds on the disc golf course the soles of my feet get a little tired of dealing with the thin soles on the shoes. And it makes your run-up a little more complicated when you're driving on an uneven natural surface. Again it's not painful or particularly dangerous, but the extra sensory feedback coming through my feet during the run up adds to the complexity of the already challenging activity that my brain is trying to manage.

Also on concrete pads you have to watch the top sides of your toes. If you drag your toes on a concrete pad you're going to rip open the mesh on top of your toes and probably cut up your feet. For more protection you might try the KSO Trek version that has the kangaroo leather upper.

Finally, the KSO stands for "keeps stuff out," which is true for pebbles and leaves and such, but the mesh upper doesn't keep the dust out. Unless you wear toe socks, prepare to have dirty feet when you take them off.
I've only been wearing them for 3 days and my feet are already adapted. Probably because I endured the slight pain the first few days and just kept wearing them constantly. Now there is no pain at all, my weight is evenly distributed throughout my feet.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJFK View Post
just ordered my pair today my local REI didn't have my size in the style I wanted so I just ordered my pair after I tried some on. wayyyy pumped!
you should be pumped, once your feet adjust they are ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
+1

Ultra-Light, Breathable, and Vibram Soles = Perfect DG Shoes.
indeed, I just hope they hold up they were way too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
No F'n way. I just bought a pair of these a couple of days ago. I love them too much to destroy them on concrete teepads discgolfing, so it's still Merrell Moabs for me as well.

I have adjusted pretty quickly to wearing them, my feet actually started hurting less. But I did start barefooting it a little during the summers so...
yeah it only took me like 3 days to get used it em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Those Vibram's are tougher than they look Bro-D.

My brother's DG shoes are the Vibram Sprints (main difference is they don't cover the top of the foot with the webbing, it's open top past the toes. He loves them, and has no problem walking/wading right through creeks or puddles even since they dry up quickly.
i hope they last awhile. and yeah just another positive aspect, you can use them for virtually anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
call me old school but i will stick with old fashioned socks and shoes
old school

lol jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
There's a guy at my local field that used to rock these things all the time. I watched him stub his foot on a root and DISLOCATE HIS SMALL TOE...he no longer wears them.

They're interesting and all, but I like the way my toes are oriented now.

I switched from Merrills and hiking shoes to an Adidas trail running shoe, and I prefer the new ones. Trail running shoes have a lot of grip, and typically weight noticeably less than hiking shoes.
I've stubbed my toe once, it hurt like hell and I've learned to watch where I walk.