Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Stud Bag

Putter
175 sss Gateway Wizards{2} - If I could have any disc in my hand, this would be it.

Midrange
168 dx Roc - I only throw it when my target is a little out of reach of my Wizards, but I want the disc to land like a putter. [example - basket on side of hill]

174 esp Buzzz - Love the feel, prefer to tee with than the Roc.

175 Gateway Blaze {? plastic} - Overstable Midrange. Have a great feel with this disc, very comfortable throwing it, pans well with side arm anhyzer throws.

168 dx Stingray - Understable Midrange. Great when I need to get a wide left to right in a short distance, plus love to roll it.

Fairway Drivers

174 z Stalker - For long straight accurate shots.

174 e Gateway Assassin - Much longer than the Stalker, mostly for spot hitting on tee shots using it's straight flight pattern. Possibly the longest disc in the bag against a moderate head wind.

Distance Drivers

160 {? plastic} Gateway Slayer - Can hyzer flip to a long straight shot and fade hard at the end.

172 e Gateway Spirit - Overstable. Don't know if it is a disc or a boomerang. Great when you need a lot of curve.

166 star Vulcan - Understable. Can hyzer flip and get a massive S curve flight. By far the longest disc in the bag.

175 {?} Gateway Illusion - Worn, can hyzer flip to a long anhyzer without recovery. Great long distance roller disc.

166 dx Archangel - oddity, very Overstable, believe it or not. Used on shorter distance than Slayer.

? weight Dragon - Water disc... it floats.

Reserves I have:
2 164 Star TLs and a 166 dx TBird
168 and 172 Overstable Star Bosses. - Carry only on windy days.
175 dx Eagle
175 dx Viking
? weight soft plastic Gateway Blaze
182 { plastic} Gateway Element - Carry only on windy days.
174 z Nuke ss - Just bought, haven't thrown yet.
174 dx worn Whippet
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

distances please
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have to be a stud just to lug all that! :-) Among reasons I don't play tourneys. Cool variety
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
distances please
Putter
175 sss Gateway Wizards{2} - 150ft in

Midrange
168 dx Roc - 225ft in

174 esp Buzzz - 250ft in

175 Gateway Blaze {? plastic} - 250ft in

168 dx Stingray - 250ft in

Fairway Drivers

174 z Stalker - 250-300ft range

174 e Gateway Assassin - 300-320ft range

Distance Drivers

160 {? plastic} Gateway Slayer - 300-320ft range

172 e Gateway Spirit - 260-280ft range

166 star Vulcan - 320-350ft range

175 {?} Gateway Illusion - 280-310ft range

166 dx Archangel - 280-310ft range

? weight Dragon -260-280ft range [disc is flippy]
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadio View Post
Have to be a stud just to lug all that! :-) Among reasons I don't play tourneys. Cool variety
Thank you, but the weight, tell me about it. I have a Gateway Tour Bag, and I usually put in the discs I plan to play a round, then I take my heaviest reserve discs, and fill it. The heaviest part really is the 2 drinks, usually I grab 2 Gatorades on the way to the course. I haven't been loading the discs lately because I have been playing 36 hole days, and these courses have been longer than I am used to. What I would love to have is I saw a guy in Festus, MO men's league with a chair integrated into his back straps, and while the rest of us were standing, taking the bag off for relief, he takes his bag off then sits down every time. Yes, I was envious and am looking for that now.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,187 Times in 1,025 Posts

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...=593&PPQT1=371

You've got quite a few driver molds there. I don't know my Gateway that well though. I use an Ion for what you use the DX Roc for, works great.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, big change in the Stud Bag. I am consciously trying to reduce the number of discs in my bag, not because of weight, but so I can be more familiar with the discs I play. My plan is to reduce to as small as possible, and then play whole rounds with each individual disc to get my feel as uncanny as possible.

Putter
175 SSS Gateway Wizard - I throw this disc more than any other. I have recently been able to have great control with better distance to where I parked a 270 foot basket for a birdie yesterday.

*No problem in this area.

Mid Range
180 Star SM Roc - Recently acquired, awesome disc. Like the extra weight for dealing with windy situations.

174 ESP Buzzz - I just like the feel of the Buzzz, and can throw a little farther than the Roc.

*I prefer the Buzzz for anhyzer throws, and the Roc for hyzer throws. No real problem here.

Fairway Drivers

174 Z Stalker - For long approach shots with some touch.

174 E Gateway Assassin - Longer than the Stalker, nice straight flight.

*Unlike the Stalker I can not let up on the Assassin, I either throw it 100%, or I throw the Stalker. No problem here.

Distance Drivers
Understable
166 Star Vulcan - My understable driver, can hyzerflip for my longest flight, or throw on a flat plane for a very long anhyzer.

*No problem here

Stable

I have a 170-172 Z SSNuke, it's not as understable as my Vulcan, but when I throw it on a flat plane it does not anhyzer or give any S pattern, just hyzers over, but when I give it a little anhyzer, it just anhyzers over into the ground. The only really good success I have had with this disc was throwing on a 100% hyzer flip, *sometimes it would work and go a very long ways.

*I like the disc, nice feel, but I need something that I can throw on a flat plane, and get a S pattern out of it. I am going to work with it a little more, and I am going to try a Groove out to see how it would work for me if I still am not getting the results I want. Any suggestions on a stable disc{s} would be awesome.

Mild Overstable

168 Star Boss - Does the job perfect, I throw on a mild anhyzer line, it stays straight for a long ways, then hyzers over. Also, throw on a hyzer, it momentarily comes flat, but gives the nice long hyzer curve one desires.

173-174 Z Nuke - Ditto.

*I don't need to carry 2 discs that do the same job. From what I understand, the Z plastic compares to Champion, and is the longest lasting, and I like the Z. That said, Star is tacky and feels great, and may be better for cold, rainy days. {Of course, I could just carry a towel and wear a jacket to keep warm, lol} I believe the Nuke is cheaper to replace if need be, but I need input for which to prefer, and the other to put in the back up bin.

Very Overstable

172 E Gateway Spirit - Charlie, you are the Banana King! E plastic is nice and tacky.

*No problem here

-Overview

I would like to get down to 9 discs. That said, if there is a disc out there that can do multiple jobs, I am open ears. I own 2 TLs and 1 TeeBird. All are light 164-166. I am going to try and find a 175 TL, because on hyzers, the TL can do what a Stalker and Assassin can both do, but when I slightly Anhyzer my TL/TB they just overpower into the ground. Maybe a heavier TL will be able to handle the Anhyzer, and reduce my selection even further. Open to suggestions.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Correction

I do not need a stable driver disc.

I can hyzer flip my Vulcan for a long S curve, or I can anhyzer my overstable discs for a more controlled, but not as long, S curve.

Problem solved there, but still open to suggestions.

*Also, 9 discs or less. Less is better because I can be more familiar with less discs. That is my hypothesis anyways.

Last edited by Stud Muffin; 08-08-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Its amazing how fast your game can change. Figured I would update the Stud Bag:

175 sss Wizard - As soon as I get home, will be moving to stiffer plastic Wizards. Can't knock what works, and I keep dropping puts with Wizards.

180 star SMRoc - Playing in heavy wind took this disc from a mere back up, rare use role, to THE mid Range disc. I can not throw it as far as the Buzzz, but close, and it does not fly as straight as the Buzzz upon delivery, but close. But what is no comparison is how "I Find, My Opinion" much better the Roc handles the wind. So I will use the Roc so when the wind starts, my game doesn't change.

150 dx Leopard, 175 Pro Leopard - What is funny, is I only bought my first Leopard [dx 150] because so many people made over it so much. I got it, and I can count in a wooded situation, with confidence, to throw it flat, and it will turn big time. The 175 Pro Leopard at first I was dissapointed, because it didn't turn like the dx, but much to my surprise, I can drive my straightest lines, and make my straightest approaches with this disc, which is gold in tight fairways and wooded areas.

164 star TL - I am sad I lost one of my 2 TL's, but hey, that is life, just an excuse to get a new one and I will experiment with a heavier TL.

170 z Predator - I like this disc. I am not dead on accurate with it yet, but I have been putting myself into putting positions more and more often. Only going to get better.

171 champion Orc - Thanks to the great advice on here, I found that this smaller rimmed distance driver to be very comfortable to throw, which is making very consistent results. The Orc has put me into the 400ft range, or 'almost', and from someone who had trouble reaching 320 not too long ago, it is a GREAT feeling.

Future:
I am considering getting another Roadrunner, but the hesitation is, I doubt I could throw it farther than the Orc, I can anhyzer the Orc with ease, so I do not need the right movement, and frankly, I would never fly it on a windy day, so I like the mold, but it serves me no real purpose.

Also I am starting to throw more and more forehand for short game purposes, since I find it easier to throw straight and let the disc naturally hyzer on a low delivery, than to try to anhyzer my Leopard on a really low plane, which I tend to overpower in fear of leaving it too short. That said, I may try out discs that are better for sidearm delivery. One of those discs that are also in my bag for this trial run is the 171 e Spirit by Gateway, but it, so far, is too overstable, and lands on it's side a LOT, which leads to unpredictable rolls, ...and I don't like unpredictable. Any forehand disc suggestions?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I know no one really cares about my bag but me, but I am really getting somewhere in being able to play courses for the first time, with locals who play it regularly, and play right with them. To me, this is a great accomplishment because I have a solid game that is prepared for all different types of situations.

Latest update:

175 sss Wizard - Overstable, just for putting and short approaches, no more full shots due to unpredictability in turning them over in high winds.

180 star SMRoc - Great high wind mid range disc.

150 dx Leopard - Great for approaches that you want to go straight at your target. Also great for long anhyzers, both backhand and forehand.

175 pro Leopard - Great for straight drives with little to no fall off. The consistency of straight drives from this Leopard removed my star TL from my bag.

170 champion TeeBird - Used for smaller hyzers. Replaces TL with more fade and able to withstand higher winds.

170 z Predator - Used for large hyzers and high winds.

171 champion Orc - Used for LONG. S curves and straight hyzers, when I need to go +350'.

* Not a solid mold for me, but experimenting with a 170 champion Groove to see if I can get something going +400'.