Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Years Playing: 31.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default So What Really Happens To a Disc When Hot Stamped?

Hello All,

Craig here from the Zing factory. I apologize if this topic has already been covered, but I have a pondering question for this group on the topic of hot stamping/decorating a disc. You see, I've been doing the mini disc thing for over 20 years, and have been in the plastics injection molding profession for more than that, have molded tons of plastic parts,......and I have this question:

Do you think that the hot stamp that is applied to the golf disc affects the flight of the disc? For instance, if you had a "no-stamp" disc, and a similar, "same run" disc of the exact same model with a hot stamp on it, will they fly differently? How about a small stamp, compared to a LARGE stamp that covers the entire top of the flight plate of the disc,....... Does that affect the flight? Does dyeing a disc affect the flight too?

I'm interested in finding out what folks think, opinions, etc. Being a plastics guy, and injection molding as a career, I'm wondering what the players who use a variety of manufacturers products think. I have some assumptions, but have never validated this question.

Again. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I had a great conversation with a disc salesman this evening about it and wanted to post this "inquiring minds-want to know" question.

Many Thanks,

Craig
Zingman
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can tell you from experience that dyeing doesn't effect flight...well unless you get the disc too hot and warp it...but a successful dye job....no change in flight characteristics
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 120
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

I'd have to agree with the dye job comment above....haven't noticed any flight changes.

In my opinion, it seems if any hot stamp from a company could alter a disc's flight, it would be MVP for how deep the stamp goes. You can't possibly remove the WHOLE stamp from a stamped MVP disc, the only way to get a blank one is to BUY it blank, and with how deep that stamp goes, I can understand if there was a slight difference between the blanks and the hotstamped.

Last edited by B3NDER; 08-21-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

it makes me happy when b3nder agrees with me!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My dye experience is exactly the opposite. Every one I have ever bought or had done was much more overstable than said counterpart. I don't throw any dyed plastic.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 256
Niced 45 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingman View Post
Hello All,

Craig here from the Zing factory. I apologize if this topic has already been covered, but I have a pondering question for this group on the topic of hot stamping/decorating a disc.

Again. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I had a great conversation with a disc salesman this evening about it and wanted to post this "inquiring minds-want to know" question.

Many Thanks,

Craig
Zingman
You don't have to apologize, it is a great question and you've been great to the sport. I think you should make full size discs that smell like your Zing minis

as far your question, I do not think there is a difference in stamped vs. unstamped.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedconfuzed1 View Post
My dye experience is exactly the opposite. Every one I have ever bought or had done was much more overstable than said counterpart. I don't throw any dyed plastic.
I think you are a victim of placebo effect. Unless you bought them all from the same dyer and he has flattened them, there is no reason dye would make it more overstable.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

anything on flight plate effects flights its sheer drag, kind of hard to argue physics here.

[edit] I have done some dyes and ended up making discs flat on accident or concave. Are they more stable? some have cause I fixed the dome.

Last edited by tarel; 08-21-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarel View Post
anything on flight plate effects flights its sheer drag, kind of hard to argue physics here.
but is it going to be enough to notice? If you throw 3 stamped and 3 unstamped, I do not think you would notice a difference.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedconfuzed1 View Post
I have given them the chance, couldn't beat them in to save my life.

Oh well...I like white and yellow anywayz.