Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,804 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I've never had a beat up Roc that turns like a Cobra but still wants to come back at the end as hard as a Cobra would. Am I using the wrong Rocs? Ranchos are my usual Roc of choice, usually DX / sometimes KC.
Nope, you have it right. A nicely beat turnover Roc will hold that line but a Cobra turns and then comes back with an S curve. You beat the LSS out of a Roc before the HSS beats out of it, so Rocs are never really a "turn early/fade late" disc like a Cobra*.

*unless you throw it weird with the nose up/no snap. If you do that you can get a beat Roc to fade late. I wouldn't recommend it, though.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Three Putt; 02-07-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 254 Times in 110 Posts

I think I read somewhere that the DX-stamped champ Cobras from the pro shop were the king cobra mold? I may have to dig those out and see what they do. I have Star cobras somewhere as well.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 351 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
I think I read somewhere that the DX-stamped champ Cobras from the pro shop were the king cobra mold? I may have to dig those out and see what they do. I have Star cobras somewhere as well.
The F2s were/are from a year or two ago.

You can find them everywhere tho. I see more of the king mold in dx than the thin classic mold when I browse stores.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

It's a very nice stamp

The plastic is also pearly. Maybe it's actually luster and I wasn't paying attention.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 698 Times in 315 Posts

I played with the King Cobra today... its great! Although it is more like a Roc than a Cobra, it pairs well with DX Cobras to cover a broader range of flights while maintaining a similar hand feel. The only catch is that the flashing was pretty bad on the one I used today. I noticed it before I went to the course, so I rubbed it on the carpet which worked wonders.

I never really got to open up and hit it hard, but based on the woods play today I expect it to be as long or slightly longer than similar Rocs. It's a fun disc; it'll definitely get more use
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 41
Niced 639 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Correct. I bought a large stack when I was lied to through marketing - "Ontario Champ Cobras run again!" my ass. New tooling, new top, new bottom, new disc. Very very similar but COME ON Innova. Of the 25ish DX stamps I handled they were mostly domey but YMMV...nothing crazy but not the OG flat Ontario's that I know and love.

Star Cobras are the Classic mold aka San Marino (also eventually retooled IIRC). They're more understable than the Ontario whether OG or new www tooling run. Speaking OG the Sanny's weren't very sought after due to being so similar in flight to the Stingray (hence the retooling to the more beefy Ontario version) while the Ontario's are more sought after for being "true" Cobras.

Quote:
I played with the King Cobra today... its great! Although it is more like a Roc than a Cobra, it pairs well with DX Cobras to cover a broader range of flights while maintaining a similar hand feel. The only catch is that the flashing was pretty bad on the one I used today. I noticed it before I went to the course, so I rubbed it on the carpet which worked wonders.

I never really got to open up and hit it hard, but based on the woods play today I expect it to be as long or slightly longer than similar Rocs. It's a fun disc; it'll definitely get more use
Like tbird said it's very Teebird/Eagle...Rocs start straight with fade and beat to straight/hyzerflip to straight, while Cobras start with a little turn/fade and beat into hyzerflip to turnover machines (with retaining some fade).

Niced: (1)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah. Those ontarios are different.

I heard the old mold broke. Sounds plausible.

Quote:

I can't remember who said it but the king cobra is like an affordable premium plastic roc.

I'll pair a king with a straight flying old champ cobra and a beat dx.

The king is definitely notorious for brutal flashing. The super stingray was even worse.

Last edited by ranger; 02-10-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Sounds like these are flying just like the older Kings. I was hoping they would be a little beefier bc of the plastic but still cool.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Went through my stacks of old Kings. I forgot that I had a few pearly ones from years ago.

The XXL stamp I just got looks the same. I'm not sure how else to describe these. It's not like the old pearly orcs. It's more like a better looking luster.

Are these old stock? I can't remember seeing this type of plastic in anything but king cobras and maybe a super stingray.