Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,961 Times in 1,294 Posts

Yeah you definitely made some changes there in the right direction, and it will be weird until it comes together.

Maybe walk through it with something heavier, your pace/height with the arm is a bit too fast. I think it's the pace is too fast so then the arm has to go up too high to time with your steps. As in don't have as far/high of a "weightless" transition at the top of the forward pump and backswing. But having this feeling is good. Better to have felt it and then dial it back, like you have.

I would post video of one leg swinging too. You are not set up with your hips targetward enough. Like your upper spine is above the plant leg but your lower spine is behind the leg too far for your dynamic balance/speed in this throw, so that's why you're coming "down" kind of as the swing starts. Then you can see your hips end up more forward afterwards on the plant leg, the momentum pulls them to where they should have been balanced.

Since your hips aren't moved laterally onto the front leg in the proper balance, that's why your left leg kind of stays in place after it leaves the ground, rather than looking like it drives forward. Find the correct balance in one leg drill, then that will transition to standstill and X-step throws.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

So here is my one leg drill last night. I started on one leg, then tried to actually stand on one leg without my back leg on the ground for balance. I then tried to shift between two legs in throwing position, and then I tried to do a sort of psuedo in place elephant walk. I think I might be swaying too much in the elephant walk but let me know what you see.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_g...hmsh5lKHjRDdxl
Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Looks to me that conceptually you are moving back and forth between feet by concentrating your balance around your sternum/chest. Like the sternum seems to be your focal point for how you "move" your body. For me, I think about my mass at my lower spine just above my tailbone kind of between my hips or at the pelvis. This helps me set my mass back and forth, and if my spine is in balance then my upper body moves with me correctly, including if it has to turn for backswing or forward swing.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Ok so I did another one leg drill. I was trying to focus on my hips here but I don't know if I quite got what you meant. Tell me if this looks better, or what I can work on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dr...8yRlIL20h75Yrv
Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes, that looks more swivelly to me in a good way. Like your butt moves/turns and your torso pivots with it.

When you are trying to turn the hips into the forward swing I think you are overcooking it though, let your butt/lower spine move to the plant leg and THEN have it turn from leg/hip clearing.

I think this is because you are missing the leg extension/pump. Like I am seeing you move to a leg and then trying to use the momentum from this to have the arm swing, rather than landing on the leg and firmly but gradually extending the leg to have some ground connection/pump, that continually leverages the arm.

In the one leg position you are really squatting the leg as the arm and weight are coming down for example, rather than extending the leg to really control and leverage the arm/weight.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,081 Times in 1,308 Posts

Yeah, agree with SP. What I really notice is a forced or jerky heel/knee movement, rather than the heels being smoothly pulled up and down by the momentum of the swing. Your backswing momentum should pull the lead heel up off the ground through the hip and knee and then fall back down in rhythm. Let your legs hang from the hips, don't pick up the foot or knee, it will get pulled up if you create enough momentum swinging back and forth.

Watch how my front knee is straight when the heel gets pulled up, so it's all pulled up extended and hanging from the hip with the toes last to leave. I'm not lifting the foot or bending knee from the hip, my knees are relatively quiet. Also note my stance is not as closed as yours so my weight is more forward over the toes/left teepad rather than behind the front heel/right teepad side. And my swing is straight back and forth linearly, not swinging around rotationally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8&t=5m
Old 01-24-2019, 01:17 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NN...JEONWMjw3apdOs

Alright, this is me trying to incorporate the pump while also not telling my legs to pick up and just letting them do it by themselves. There were a few points where I tried to really pump up and down a lot, and other points where I was trying to go easier. Let me know what you guys see.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

So I definitely see that you have this in you with the balance/flow...you're just searching for what is the right/efficient feel.

The goal is a constant connection or constant leverage, not a fast snappy movement that the arm then has to catch up or whip from. The goal is having some weight and power with your body through your arm like you're going to smash that rod through drywall, not to get the arm to whip quick after your body has popped it.

So with that in mind I like the more calm and balanced movements like the swing from 0:56-58...you extend smoothly and the arm really rockets out in front of you. Same with the windmill swing from 1:00-1:03.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Lol and that was literally the part where I shook my head because I thought I was doing it wrong. I do see what you mean though, and I did some more today and I think I feel what you mean by constant leverage as opposed to whipping.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah it doesn't seem as "fast" as the whipping style, but trust that this will cause a clean leveraged ejection and the discs will cruise.