Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 140 Times in 35 Posts
Default Gopher Discs?

I work for a municipal rec department and I get all sorts of sports equipment mags mailed to me each season. I recently got the latest issue of GOPHER. Did you know they are selling their own line of golf discs?? (http://www.gophersport.com/item/pe-e...isc-golf-discs)
The price is right too, for me buying in bulk on a limited budget, but I'm obviously a little skeptical. Has anyone here purchased any of their disc golf equipment before (gopher brand specifically)? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 92 Times in 59 Posts

Undoubtedly they will be awful.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 608 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
I work for a municipal rec department and I get all sorts of sports equipment mags mailed to me each season. I recently got the latest issue of GOPHER. Did you know they are selling their own line of golf discs?? (http://www.gophersport.com/item/pe-e...isc-golf-discs)
The price is right too, for me buying in bulk on a limited budget, but I'm obviously a little skeptical. Has anyone here purchased any of their disc golf equipment before (gopher brand specifically)? Any thoughts?
I would avoid these discs at all costs. They're just not high quality disc golf discs.
If you want low prices, just do a bulk order from Innova or Gateway. The stock prices are under $5 for baseline plastic discs.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Haha, I'm sure they would be awful. Even still, where I am in rural Canada, bulk DX from Innova is roughly the same price. The current set I have has taken a MAJOR beating. Even if these discs were garbage, there's the chance that they hold up slightly better? Mah, who am I kidding. Thanks for confirming my wariness.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 92 Times in 59 Posts

I have thrown similar discs and they are literally uncontrollable. You would have more fun throwing paint can lids around.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Birdie Member

Yeah, just to be clear, these discs would be for the random person looking to borrow a set to play a casual round. Usually noobs. Might use them for day camps as well. But, I agree, it isn't worth turning them off the game forever by loaning them crappy discs.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,046 Times in 1,094 Posts

Really even for day camp use, you can get a good price from Innova/Discraft/Gateway/etc on golf discs people actually use. There would be no reason to consider these unless they sold for $1/disc or something ridiculously cheap like that.

Places like Gopher expect you to be lazy. They give you something you are looking for like basketballs and expect you to just order all of your stuff from them. They make a killing from schools because schools are the kings of lazy purchasing. These discs will probably end up in schools with courses because they will just order all their PE supplies from one catalog and never think to call Innova. No one else will ever see them.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
Yeah, just to be clear, these discs would be for the random person looking to borrow a set to play a casual round. Usually noobs. Might use them for day camps as well. But, I agree, it isn't worth turning them off the game forever by loaning them crappy discs.
I understand you want to help them out and I get what you are saying.. but it's not the right path.

if you want them to enjoy disc golf, don't give them these aerodynamic nightmares to try and throw.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 112
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

These look like the same discs that come with the instep basket and are completely useless.