Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 112 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spahnandsain View Post
^good bump.

So I read in the "all things FB" thread that the '17s are like the '15s. I would be so happy if that was true because my '15 is my favorite FB. Anyone else that can back up that claim?

Also, just out of curiosity, why were the '16s not well received?
The earlier batches of 2016s came out firmer than the 2015s and with a bigger dome(although still bit domey) but the later runs came out gummier and flatter again. Sexton said that the 2017s would come out gummier again because that's what he preferred. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the 2017s be gummy like the 2015s. I have 4 on the way so time will tell
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 43 Posts

My 2017s are very similar to my 2015s in feel. Nice and grippy plastic for sure.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 367 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamache8 View Post
The earlier batches of 2016s came out firmer than the 2015s and with a bigger dome(although still bit domey) but the later runs came out gummier and flatter again. Sexton said that the 2017s would come out gummier again because that's what he preferred. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the 2017s be gummy like the 2015s. I have 4 on the way so time will tell
Strange

I have three 2016 sextons ordered at different times and all three are flatter than my 2015s. They are a little firmer as well.

I'm not sure exactly how they fly bc I only tested one a few times. Seemed a little less OS.

The 2015s are by far my favorite FB I've ever thrown. The one I bag is becoming one of my most used discs. I'll be interested to see how it continues to season. I don't think I've ever owned a really beat FB.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 93 Times in 46 Posts
Default 2016 my jam

I prefer the 2016s over the 2015 ones. Mine are just a bit flatter and definitely firmer. I can get a long straight flight with solid fade out of them thrown flat and torqued, where a stock champ fb would dive left way earlier and a 2015 might turn the slightest bit. I like the firmer feel.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 676 Times in 323 Posts

I finally hit the opportunity to buy some sexton firebirds last night with the restock, and I panicked and only bought 2. I had a sudden fear that the market on these things would tank what with all the flippers flooding the secondary market. So now I have 2 on the way. Probably will bag one and hold the other as the backup. Might consider selling it because with the current climate selling one can pay for the price of 2... It's just hard to know how long that will last. I know Innova is trying to keep up with the demand, and why wouldn't they if people are buying them up as fast as they can produce them, but I remain curious to see how long the demand will last. Eventually the market has to get saturated, doesn't it? I haven't been participated in this aspect of disc golf culture until now, have you all ever seen a disc with this high of demand before? Here's to hoping I didn't make a financial mistake by sticking to my morals and only buying the two that I need.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 28
Niced 22 Times in 16 Posts

well the demand makes no sense because come may or June the last 2 years they are usually in stock all the time until like September when they stop making them until next year. At which point the price goes back up slightly. then Repeat year after year with these price surges.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

So what your saying is that if I'm going to sell, I should do it soon? I agree that the demand makes no sense. I guess some people are just willing to pay a premium to have the new cool disc without having to either put in the work to hit the 5 minute window on the pro shop website or put in the patience to wait a couple of months. I'm curious to see if they end up manufacturing more of the 2017s the the 16s and 15s because right now it appears that they'd be able to sell about as many as they can make. But then again, I wasn't paying attention when this happened the last two years, so I don't know if the surge in demand was similar then as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 367 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdidwell View Post
well the demand makes no sense because come may or June the last 2 years they are usually in stock all the time until like September when they stop making them until next year. At which point the price goes back up slightly. then Repeat year after year with these price surges.
Disc golfers are brainless

I could see these going for $25 max on the secondary market just bc Innova shipping sucks.

A really unique color could maybe do well but nobody should be spending $35 on these.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Disc golfers are brainless

I could see these going for $25 max on the secondary market just bc Innova shipping sucks.

A really unique color could maybe do well but nobody should be spending $35 on these.
Well, right now there's plenty of people gladly bidding up to $40. I don't think that will last, but consumers gonna consume.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
I finally hit the opportunity to buy some sexton firebirds last night with the restock, and I panicked and only bought 2. I had a sudden fear that the market on these things would tank what with all the flippers flooding the secondary market. So now I have 2 on the way. Probably will bag one and hold the other as the backup. Might consider selling it because with the current climate selling one can pay for the price of 2... It's just hard to know how long that will last. I know Innova is trying to keep up with the demand, and why wouldn't they if people are buying them up as fast as they can produce them, but I remain curious to see how long the demand will last. Eventually the market has to get saturated, doesn't it? I haven't been participated in this aspect of disc golf culture until now, have you all ever seen a disc with this high of demand before? Here's to hoping I didn't make a financial mistake by sticking to my morals and only buying the two that I need.
The best time to "flip" these discs:
1. when you can get an order through within the first batch of shipping. Innova will usually drop 2 or 3 batches the first weekend and proceed to ship them all out the following Monday. You should be able to double/triple your money if you get your discs in no later than Thursday and put them up on raffle/auction sites promptly.
2. After the tour season and no more discs are being run, the prices will creep back up, peaking in late February/March. This trend has happened the past 2 years and you see 2015 sextons selling for a boatload now. I wouldn't try to sell for profit during the touring months (besides the first week or so that the discs release). As stated by others above, the market will become saturated and prices will fall.

I do this for fun, although it is nice to have disc golf discs pay for my disc golf disc buying and trying addiction.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Amazing; 04-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.