Old 01-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Courses Played: 8
Niced 13 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
Thanks for the reply - lots to try to absorb.

There's something I don't quite understand about this picture. When I look at the good example (top half), it looks to me like the thrower is engaging too early, never getting the disc into the power pocket. I'm guessing there's something I've interpreted incorrectly.

Here's what I see:
  • Shoulders are parallel to the trajectory
  • The hand is on the forward edge of the disc
  • Disc is far away from the body

I would expect to see the disc closer to the body with the hand on the outside of the disc. In this photo, I don't see how the disc could have ever come close to the right pec (i.e., the power pocket).

Suddenly, I have lots of questions about the position of the body when the disc is in the power pocket:
  • Should the shoulders be parallel to the trajectory?
  • How open should the right shoulder be?
  • How should the weight be distributed on your feet? (i.e., should you be in full brace, just engaging the brace, etc)

One thing I'm thinking is that maybe I've taken getting the elbow forward to the extreme, having the elbow closed and the shoulder at close to 180 degrees open.

Of course, there's a winter storm warning with snow, plunging temperatures, and high winds. I'd really like to go throw some drives, but that's going to have to wait a while.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,198 Times in 1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledGuy View Post
Thanks for the reply - lots to try to absorb.

There's something I don't quite understand about this picture. When I look at the good example (top half), it looks to me like the thrower is engaging too early, never getting the disc into the power pocket. I'm guessing there's something I've interpreted incorrectly.

Here's what I see:
  • Shoulders are parallel to the trajectory
  • The hand is on the forward edge of the disc
  • Disc is far away from the body

I would expect to see the disc closer to the body with the hand on the outside of the disc. In this photo, I don't see how the disc could have ever come close to the right pec (i.e., the power pocket).

Suddenly, I have lots of questions about the position of the body when the disc is in the power pocket:
  • Should the shoulders be parallel to the trajectory?
  • How open should the right shoulder be?
  • How should the weight be distributed on your feet? (i.e., should you be in full brace, just engaging the brace, etc)

One thing I'm thinking is that maybe I've taken getting the elbow forward to the extreme, having the elbow closed and the shoulder at close to 180 degrees open.

Of course, there's a winter storm warning with snow, plunging temperatures, and high winds. I'd really like to go throw some drives, but that's going to have to wait a while.
That pic is basically at the "hit" where the hand and disc CoM crossover, not the "power zone" or "right pec". KJ is in the "power zone" at about 8 sec in below. The Right Pec Drill is a drill from a static position to teach a feeling, once you add more dynamic movement things change a little. The faster your "arm speed" the further back from the right pec the disc will actually be, so the top throwers are actually often closer to their center/sternal notch or even left pec in their power zone. I often see players take the Right Pec Drill too far and short arm their swing arc.

Your weight distribution should be 100% on the front leg before you really start swinging. See Closed Shoulder Drill and watch GG throw. There are some variances with different body types regarding how open the shoulders end up(skinnier shoulders turn faster), but the power into the outward arc is always applied from a closed shoulder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs&t=8m26s

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.